NEurope
or else you will DIE

Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

I downloaded that the day it came out, :p

Tegan and Sara actually blow me too hard. I don't understand why I love their voices and why I love every line they sing when they harmonise, but I do.

The ironic thing is - RATM are signed by a Sony subsidiary and so is Simon Cowell. So no matter which people choose Sony profit.

Good of the people behind this to have really thought it through.

What music shizzle is he not behind? For next year.

Bjork, Tori Amos and Patrick Wolf all have their own music labels.

All the real good ones are doing it nowadays.

Bjork, Tori Amos and Patrick Wolf all have their own music labels.

All the real good ones are doing it nowadays.

I advise you STFU, GTFO, LOLWTFBBQ N00B. :nono:

I say N-E BAND AID FOR CHRISTMAS NUMBER 1!!! :D:D:D

Fuck yeah, it should be done by tomorrow if someone provides my "missing line". If not I'll plow it in.

Then ReZ can make a video out of it if he wants.

My God, you're an idiot. It's not about the money.

None. It is now a fact of life that just as all roads lead to Rome, all money eventually leads to Simon Cowell. It's being written into theories behind economics as we speak.

No one cares if Sony make a tonne of money. I don't think anyone has said "Let's screw Sony over!". It's just people are sick of X Factor always being Christmas number 1. If it brings back peoples interest and a sense of competition to the CN1, then what's the harm?

I don't really care for the politics to be honest (although I do despise The X Factor with the fiery passion of a thousand suns), I just think it would be funny as hell to see RATM as Christmas number 1.

Edit: And RATM aren't emo. Emo is whiney, self pitying crap, RATM at least have cahones.

Personally I'd go for Fucked Up-Do They Know It's Christmas Time.

All the money goes to victims of sexual abuse, and missing and murdered women and features Paj and Chairdriver favourites Teagan and Sara.

Haaha, what the hell is this!!!?! It has Fucked Up AND Tegan and Sara, how is it not awesome??

+ add me that list, I'M JUST AS BIG A FAN(boy) *cries*

My God, you're an idiot. It's not about the money.

I know, but they could've picked a song which sticks it to the man but doesn't line his pockets at the same time.

This entire thing is utterly fucking stupid. Since when have consumers of alternative music cared about who wins a popularity contest like the number one spot? Surely if you're a little rebel you don't care what's number one? And why are people acting like before the X Factor Christmas Number 1s were great? They've been shit, insipid pop since all of you were born.

"Fuck you I wont do what you tell me!"

"I'm going to tell you to fight mass-market pop by taking part in an orgy of consumerism, buying this multi-million selling single from a billion dollar record label, in the process trivialising a song about endemic racism by twisting it to have a go at something as banal as a TV show"

"Fuck yeah, I'll do what you tell me!"

Edited by BlueStar

"Fuck you I wont do what you tell me!"

"I'm going to tell you to fight mass-market pop by taking part in an orgy of consumerism, buying this multi-million selling single from a billion dollar record label, in the process trivialising a song about endemic racism by twisting it to have a go at something as banal as a TV show"

"Fuck yeah, I'll do what you tell me!"

Again, it's not about the money and I'd hardly call an attempt to control popular culture trivial.

*Goes back to reading Gramsci.*

"Control popular culture", give me a break - by buying loads of copies of a song you've already got from a massive multi-national corporation? Zack de la Rocha must be spitting feathers.

Why not just ask Simon Cowell to give all the people in this thread who are obsessed with X Factor their own vote number every week, than you can all phone in and give him more of the attention he craves and sit on the edge of your seat seeing if "I don't like the X Factor" beats some warbling bint from Luton? That'll sure show him.

As for not about the money, guess what, everything's about money at some level. What do you think Sony BGM is going to spend the hundreds of thousands of RATM sales on? Bringing through edgy, break through bands? Or putting it towards more marketing for stuff like X Factor singles?

Edited by BlueStar

I wrote a big long message replying to all the people who are still so spectacularly missing the point. CBA with it as all the arguments have already been discussed and if people are still regurgitating them without additions, then more fool them.

Above ALL else, the bottom line is that it would just be funny to see something like Rage get to Christmas number 1 as it's so opposite from the XFactor track. EVERYTHING else that people seem to be getting annoyed about is secondary to that.

Oh and also, Tom Morello from the band has recently announced that he's going to donate his profits from sales of the track to UK youth charities and that he expects the rest of the band to follow suit. The Rage facebook group have also independently raised over £35,000 for the homeless charity Shelter. So if you're about to whinge about something else just think about that.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

There seems to be some kind of mis-communication here, I don't think anyone's missing the 'point'. The point has been explained repeatedly. It's not that people don't get the point, it's that the point is laughably pointless.

Edited by BlueStar

Exactly! It IS pretty pointless (that is the point, it'd just be funny!) but then so is getting wound up about it and arguing your heart out on an internet forum.

But the whole campaign is the result about people getting wound up that some manufactured pop is going to be Christmas number one, just like last year and every year. Alternative music doesn't get to number one, that's why it's alternative music. In fact many people would have a long hard look at their music choice if their favourite band was fighting with Britteny and JLS for the Christmas number one spot.

No one cares if Sony make a tonne of money. I don't think anyone has said "Let's screw Sony over!". It's just people are sick of X Factor always being Christmas number 1. If it brings back peoples interest and a sense of competition to the CN1, then what's the harm?

I don't really care for the politics to be honest (although I do despise The X Factor with the fiery passion of a thousand suns), I just think it would be funny as hell to see RATM as Christmas number 1.

Edit: And RATM aren't emo. Emo is whiney, self pitying crap, RATM at least have cahones.

I know, I just found it ironic its supposed to be some anti-establishment message but ultimately its all feeding into the same establishment.

Admittedly if Simon Cowell wanted to prove he doesn't care (which has been his story, that it should all be about Joe) then he would offer to donate any earnings he makes from it to a charity.

At least X Factior number ones aren't Christmas songs. If they keep people from bothering to write christmas pop songs because no-one else has a chance of getting the number one spot then that's fine with me, I'd rather have some cheesy Cowell number or a crappy cover.

This needs more explaining than I really care to so I won't. Most people who are complaining, are complaining about an issue which most people buying it have misunderstood. It isn't about money. If you think everything is about money then you're an idiot, in short. You're totally ignoring concepts of embodiment and cultural domination.

Of course it's just a bit of fun but it's naive to think that is all it is.

Edit: And to this point, the choice of song is irrelevant.

Edited by Daft