Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo cutting down Wii production. Wii HD closer?

Choze

http://kotaku.com/5416686/report-nintendo-scaling-back-wii-production

According to a report from Nikkei, Nintendo has begun the process of reducing the number of Wiis being manufactured.

The report says that two Japanese companies - Mitsumi and Hosiden - are facing massive losses in revenue this year due to the "declining fortunes" of the Wii and a "drop-off in orders from Nintendo to assemble game systems".

I think its the beginning of the transition.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or it could be down to the almost pre-school theory of understanding supply vs demand.

Exactly, demand has dropped massively this year so of course there is no need to manufacture consoles at previous levels.

Given the current Wii sales vs those of PS3/360 I'd say we're some way off a Wii HD.

Agree with most comments. At one point Nintendo had to keep ramping up production seven fold. I think even during its third year their were still some supply issues. Now everyone who wanted a Wii has pretty much got one. But it will continue to sell just like the PS2.

'[Mitsumi and Hosiden] facing massive losses'?

Weird - surely they didn't expect the Wii to sell at the same or a higher rate forever? And surely they made profits before the Wii was around?

I'll never understand the business world, never mind the Japanese business world.

'[Mitsumi and Hosiden] facing massive losses'?

Weird - surely they didn't expect the Wii to sell at the same or a higher rate forever? And surely they made profits before the Wii was around?

I'll never understand the business world, never mind the Japanese business world.

Exactly. You've hit the nail on the head. This is what I find remarkable about this news - not that the Wii is selling less than it used to, but that manufacturers are expressing surprise about it and also making a loss.

Would anyone buy a Nintendo WII HD or Nintendo Wii 2 if it comes out next year?

A console that just renders existing games in 720p, or even worse, just upscales them? Not a chance.

An all new console, Probably. I think we would have heard something by now if one was coming next year though.

There's obviously going to be no console in the near future. There wont even be any news on one until like 2011 I'd say, with the 2012 the utmost earliest I'd expect a Wii successor.

The only thing that will speed this up is if the Wii really starts to sell like shit next year and not just in japan, in which case maybe they'd rush a successor out for the end of 2011.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but the Wii is hardly selling like 'shit' in Japan, unless however 'shit' is actually rather popular and lighting up the sales charts...

Last week's total sales:

DS 1,285,320

Wii 1,071,236

PS3 549,518

360 400,623

PSP 333,573

Last week's sales in Japan

DS 114,761

Wii 103,914

PSP 69,419

PS3 52,015

360 4,343

As you can see from the actual figures, the Wii isn't doing too badly in Japan :)

Wii will not survive next christmas in its current form... They would be fools to think they could.

Would anyone buy a Nintendo WII HD or Nintendo Wii 2 if it comes out next year?

nope.. not after the way wii treated core gamers. I really think they made launching a new console very difficult for themselves now.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but the Wii is hardly selling like 'shit' in Japan, unless however 'shit' is actually rather popular and lighting up the sales charts...

Last week's total sales:

DS 1,285,320

Wii 1,071,236

PS3 549,518

360 400,623

PSP 333,573

Last week's sales in Japan

DS 114,761

Wii 103,914

PSP 69,419

PS3 52,015

360 4,343

As you can see from the actual figures, the Wii isn't doing too badly in Japan :)

This is only last week due to NSMB. Outside of that the Slim PS3 has outsold it since release. Given the price cut and strong bundling the Wii hasnt done well at all this year. Its significantly down and it doesnt seem like nintendo can keep the momentum. I think a Wii HD is a given. Also its probably why MS are doing Natal and Sony the motion controller.

Originally Posted by Kotaku

Reggie: Michael [Pachter] continues to be the only one who believes that this is gonna happen. I don't know how forcefully we can say there is no Wii HD.

Keighley: It's not coming, period?

Reggie: No.

Well then it is more or less confirmed. Reggie answered 'no' to 'not coming', which means it's a double negative and that makes a positive.

If he wanted to say that it is not coming he would've said 'yes'. 'Yes Geoff, It is NOT coming.'

Instead he said:

'No, it is NOT coming.'

NO x NOT = yes :D

This is only last week due to NSMB. Outside of that the Slim PS3 has outsold it since release. Given the price cut and strong bundling the Wii hasnt done well at all this year. Its significantly down and it doesnt seem like nintendo can keep the momentum. I think a Wii HD is a given. Also its probably why MS are doing Natal and Sony the motion controller.

Only in Japan that Nintendo has been having slow down in momentum and Sony and Microsoft are doing motion controllers to latch onto the market that Nintendo has.

Well then it is more or less confirmed. Reggie answered 'no' to 'not coming', which means it's a double negative and that makes a positive.

If he wanted to say that it is not coming he would've said 'yes'. 'Yes Geoff, It is NOT coming.'

Instead he said:

'No, it is NOT coming.'

NO x NOT = yes :D

He also said the ds lite wasnt coming a week before it was unveiled. Don't believe him :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!