Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Dante

I noticed the original Zelda made #1 in GI's top 200 games of all time list (well-deserved if you ask me) and its put me back in the mood for a new installment.

Id actually love it if Nintendo went back to the original and took a good hard look at what made it so great. All Zelda games have been excellent, but the original can't be beat in terms of giving you a sense of guideless exploration, discovery and constant danger.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Eiji Aonuma interview.

The only thing I may be able to confirm is, we are trying to change the structure, how the game proceeds, in terms of how you have been playing The Legend of Zelda franchise so far. That's a little thing I can say, but I hope people will be surprised by knowing what I mean right now.

Aonuma: Talking first on Wii MotionPlus, I've been working on the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda simultaneously with working on Spirit Tracks and now we have already come to the stage that Link is wielding his sword just as you are shaking your Wii remote. It's so natural I sometimes have to wonder why it was not available in previous games.

I think it's going to be quite surprising, but it's so natural maybe not so surprising for new Zelda fans. But it must be quite a surprise for existing and long-term Zelda fans. Maybe they will say, 'why couldn't Nintendo apply the same system to Twilight Princess? You already had the Wii remote.' Among the fans I think it's going to be quite a big difference.

i hope we see more of the Godesses in this game

and a bigger evil this time around and a dramatic story mode

lots of minigames sidequests , sword upgrading more skills and magic, like in Farores wind Dins fire nayrus love,

i thinking if it would fit in a Zelda game for link to have wings, it would be cool tho, but then it should be like in a transformation like in majoras mask where link transormed into Oni link (Fierce deity link) that would be bomb and i would buy 3 copys lol just to support it,

links transformations Come back!!

I noticed the original Zelda made #1 in GI's top 200 games of all time list (well-deserved if you ask me) and its put me back in the mood for a new installment.

Id actually love it if Nintendo went back to the original and took a good hard look at what made it so great. All Zelda games have been excellent, but the original can't be beat in terms of giving you a sense of guideless exploration, discovery and constant danger.

I think they should really take a bit of inspiration from Fallout 3 TBH. The open-ended exploration of that game, wondering around, hoping you'll find the next thing to do in the actual story, but not worrying to much if you don't because there's so much else to do in the game was what the original Zelda was all about in one sense. Nintendo evolved the other aspects of it, but the openendedness was never really featured much after that, and the games have almost felt like they're getting a bit more linear. Sure, that might be good at the beginning, but Hyrule didn't really open up once you first entered the field the same way that hyrule opened up once you got the sword in the original Zelda. (Sort of like when you leave vault 101 in Fallout 3). Even in Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker you could visit areas before you were supposed to. When I was stuck on the dodongo's cavern dungeon the first time I played OoT, I remember going to lon lon ranch, and jumping off the bridge leading to the fortress and ending up at lake hyilia, even though those areas had very little meaning while you were still a child, you could still go there, and even do some stuff in them. In Wind Waker, you could go explore some of the more meaningful islands before you had to actually do anything there, even though you were restricted a bit in the beginning. TP didn't really have any of that. The way the world revealed itself to you was very linear. You had to do a very specific task, that could only be completed once you were at that point in the game, to really get into any of the new areas.

I think they should really take a bit of inspiration from Fallout 3 TBH. The open-ended exploration of that game, wondering around, hoping you'll find the next thing to do in the actual story, but not worrying to much if you don't because there's so much else to do in the game was what the original Zelda was all about in one sense. Nintendo evolved the other aspects of it, but the openendedness was never really featured much after that, and the games have almost felt like they're getting a bit more linear. Sure, that might be good at the beginning, but Hyrule didn't really open up once you first entered the field the same way that hyrule opened up once you got the sword in the original Zelda. (Sort of like when you leave vault 101 in Fallout 3). Even in Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker you could visit areas before you were supposed to. When I was stuck on the dodongo's cavern dungeon the first time I played OoT, I remember going to lon lon ranch, and jumping off the bridge leading to the fortress and ending up at lake hyilia, even though those areas had very little meaning while you were still a child, you could still go there, and even do some stuff in them. In Wind Waker, you could go explore some of the more meaningful islands before you had to actually do anything there, even though you were restricted a bit in the beginning. TP didn't really have any of that. The way the world revealed itself to you was very linear. You had to do a very specific task, that could only be completed once you were at that point in the game, to really get into any of the new areas.

That's like asking for Mario Kart to be a little more like Gran Turismo.

In the 64 days I used to think Zelda would turn out something like Oblivion, but later I realized they're different experiences.

I'm talking more just about the openness of the world. Specifically, letting the player choose the order they do some of the dungeons in, more side quests, the restrictions on traveling the world lessen earlier on in the game. Not exactly like a Bethesda RPG, just more like them in a few minor ways.

Re: Link and wings

Why not give him something like what the assassin uses in the newest Assassin's Creed?

That's what I've been thinking. I don't think the flying is going to be very unrestricted. A hang-glider type thing, similar to the leaf in Wind Waker, but that allows you to travel further with less initial height could work.

The leaf in Wind Waker was extremely cool. Gliding down to the forest dungeon (forgot the name) at night was fantastic.

I don't think they're on about something as restrictive as that. I think they're looking at something that is the equivalent of the boat/train. ie. your main mode of transport around Hyrule. And I very much doubt that will be the main difference/surprise about Zelda Wii.

Nintendo-Releases-New-Legend-of-Zelda-Wii-Teaser-Artwork.jpg

i think it has something to do with the Master Sword, everyone saw that the Sword is a living creature this time around, i think that the Swords magick or something like that Can maybe transform into beings, maybe like a flying Creature, and some other creatures that you need trough the game

or it can even turn into wings on links back i dont know, but i think it will have something to do with the Sword.

or it can even turn into wings on links back i dont know, but i think it will have something to do with the Sword.
It that position in the drawing, it does look feasible for it to turn into wings on Links back, but personally I'm not sure I'd want that in a game.

Firstly because they should just deliver a Kid Icarus game, instead of just turning Link effectively into Pit.

and secondly, because I kind of like Link to have a travel companion, but not one in the regular sense (of a person), but just something else to have there, like Epona/KoRL, with their own kind of personality.

Like I've said before, if they're gonna do flight I'd like to see the Owl Sage dude, an Eagle or a small Dragon, but maybe that's unlikely to happen and it will be something to do with sword, which I'm already getting annoyed with as being a draw in gimmick.

The Master sword person thing in the pic turning into wings turning Link into a Pit-like character actually sounds VERY plausible Retro_Link. In fact if I had to put money on what we'll see in Zelda Wii based on the whole 'new gameplay mechanic' and 'flight' clues, that would be it.

Not keen...

Shouldn´t we still be freaked out by the fact that the sword is ALIVE!!

Can you imagine what it has seen all these games:laughing: (Not to mention what 'she' was shoved into, ....Eyeballs, ...Ganondorf's head)

Do we know for sure that it's the Master Sword?

If it is, maybe the great fairy (or someone along those lines) something just gets sealed within it, or possesses it for the one game in order to help Link out.

Hmm a living, flying, talking sword... wait a minute!...

Is it wrong that I'd actually like to see that?

Hmmm. *Consults book of law*. Yes, yes it is. I would turn yourself in if I were you. ;)

A hot air balloon seems plausible, but it might require the controlling of wind direction, which sounds familiar.

You've got to give it to Aonuma with his ambiguous titbits:

The only thing I may be able to confirm is, we are trying to change the structure, how the game proceeds, in terms of how you have been playing The Legend of Zelda franchise so far. That's a little thing I can say, but I hope people will be surprised by knowing what I mean right now.

Eiji, when do we ever know what you are meaning? But that's really got me thinking. Since the dawn of er, Zelda, the games have followed a fairly consistent format of explore, dungeon, new item, explore, dungeon, new item, with sidequests along the way. So is he talking about a totally different fundamental structure to this? Or is he simply saying that 'Link now has a hot air balloon!'? He's such a tease.

From what I can gather, I don't think they want to change the fundamental concept of the game (sword-wielding Link exploring a large world, going into dungeons, defeating bosses), but they want to renew it, maybe make it less linear and predictable. The points someone mentioned about being able to go places before you were supposed to and the world not feeling as linear as it did in TP - I think those are pretty accurate. At least I hope so.

Aonuma has already said in a recent interview they want to change the "field > dungeon > item > boss" structure for Zelda Wii.

I really think the method of transport will be a small deal compared with the big change to the gameplay mechanic.

But going back to the flying thing, as Retro_Link suggested, Kid Icarus-style Link would be my best bet.

If they implement a Super Guide, theres no reason why Nintendo can't include lots of tough puzzles, powerful enemies that can kill you, and leave the player to figure out where to go and what to do next with only very vague hints from NPC's.

Im glad that Nintendo recognizes the need to change the formula but i hope theyre not doing this to make it even more accessible that it already is.

I also quite like the idea of overworld bosses

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!