NEurope
flameboy

Are violent video games damaging to society?

On BBC 1 now, dunno what program it is now.

All arisen from the infamous airport scene in COD MW2. Actually not all one sided as you would expect. There are a few religious people kicking off but also a priest who plays World of Warcraft.

oooo i saw that, nobody mentioned or seemed to know about that dialogue box that pops up at the start of the game telling you there are disturbing scenes you might want to skip past. Nothing about the skip mission part in the pause menu either.

The real question is what damage is society doing to videogames.?

That and how do I turn off the stupid italics?

Edited by Iun

In a short answer, no I don't think so. As I always said, if it's about children playing violent games then it's the parents' fault for not watching what they're playing.

No i really don't think so.

It all depends on the type of person you are and if you can handle certain things at certain ages. Thats where parents come into it who should know what their kids can handle.

No.

That's as simple as it needs to be.

If the subject were movies or books or music the question wouldn't even be being raised.

No.

That's as simple as it needs to be.

If the subject were movies or books or music the question wouldn't even be being raised.

Ah, well, the fact is that the question has indeed been raised in regards to film and music. I don't know about books.

Yeah but we're over that. Nowadays, you can pretty much make anything.

If parents and game stores weren't so pigshit thick as to buy children games like MW2, there wouldn't be a problem. I think games would generally be better too.

Nope, because a sane person would realise that a game is a game and shouldn't be taken seriously or re-done in the real world.

If parents and game stores weren't so pigshit thick as to buy children games like MW2, there wouldn't be a problem. I think games would generally be better too.

I couldn't agree more with this. Parents should not be so stupid as to purchase games like GTA, Gears and MW2 for people under the age of the desired game has on the box. Age certificates are there for a reason. People working in an environment that sells games should be more in control with selling games to minors.

I feel sorry for the kids of today. When most of us were kids we could all play violent games and nobody cared.

Did it make us violent? Hell no.

Ok, probably not. But don't you guys ever get this second thought that video games could be the cause of cognitive dissonance/deprivation? All those years of gaming we have spent... Imaging using that time doing something constructive.

But I do notice a few things... After San Andreas, with the inclusion of bmx shooting, I saw kids trying to emulate that, with one of their boys hanging off the back trignuts.

Blame stupid kids and their stupid parents for their low iQ and abuse of our entertainment.

Blame stupid kids and their stupid parents for their low iQ and abuse of our entertainment.

Can anyone else see the non gamers point of view on this? Try and look at it from an outsiders point of view. A new game has come out where one section involves you actually taking part in murdering hundreds of innocent people. Not just watching, actually doing the killing. And this is considered entertaining by the people that play it. Surely you could see why this is pretty disgusting to non gamers?

I partially agree that it could be damaging, but I do think they are overreacting a lot. There are worse things to worry about when it comes to a childs upbringing (bad parenting for one).

One problem I see with COD is that a parent might look at the box, see the 18 rating and think "oh it's probably gory. Just playing soldiers" and still buy it for them, thinking that gore isn't a problem when it's actually the more subtle adult content that warrants the rating (Moral dilemmas that kids are too young to understand. Adult situations I suppose you'd call it).

Not entirely sure I've explained my views well, but hopefully you get the gist.

Can anyone else see the non gamers point of view on this? Try and look at it from an outsiders point of view. A new game has come out where one section involves you actually taking part in murdering hundreds of innocent people. Not just watching, actually doing the killing. And this is considered entertaining by the people that play it. Surely you could see why this is pretty disgusting to non gamers?

I partially agree that it could be damaging, but I do think they are overreacting a lot. There are worse things to worry about when it comes to a childs upbringing (bad parenting for one).

One problem I see with COD is that a parent might look at the box, see the 18 rating and think "oh it's probably gory. Just playing soldiers" and still buy it for them, thinking that gore isn't a problem when it's actually the more subtle adult content that warrants the rating (Moral dilemmas that kids are too young to understand. Adult situations I suppose you'd call it).

Not entirely sure I've explained my views well, but hopefully you get the gist.

Time and time again this thread comes around and its nice to see someone who has a different opinion. Kudos to you.

Its true. Parents are too lazy to care, or just don't care at all (it'll shut them up so I can get peace for a few hours) So they do things, that if they had put thought or research into, may not have happened.

I do think its partially games, but mostly the personality of the gamer. If you are a bit mentally unstable its not gonna help, but most relatively normal adults can control themselves enough not to go out and kill people like they saw in the video games.

I suppose you could almost consider the "mentally unstable" (very hard to find a suitable word for this) to be almost like children.

I think the main danger is people getting hold of these sort of games before they've been taught "right and wrong". If you already have a good sense of it, these sort of games won't really have an effect. If you get this sort of game when you're still learning what's right and wrong, it could lead to problems. Even the best parents would have a nightmare of a time telling kids that bad behaviour is wrong when games like this are almost making it seem ok. And like I said, some parents might buy this for their kids, not knowing exactly what makes it an 18 cert. It's an honest mistake for someone that doesn't realise that computer games contain adult scenarios nowerdays.

I don't think that games like these are ruining kids, but they certainly make the parents job harder. When the current generation grow up and have kids of their own, I think things will sort themselves out as the current generation will have a better idea of what modern games are like.

Ok, probably not. But don't you guys ever get this second thought that video games could be the cause of cognitive dissonance/deprivation? All those years of gaming we have spent... Imaging using that time doing something constructive.

..and what exactly do you propose? I spent my time climbing trees and playing video games, neither particular constructive. Its all about kids these days balancing their time rather than spending 16hours a day because their parents are too stupid to pull them off them.

Meh this argument comes round everytime a major game comes out thats particular violent. Its shocking really that people who buy their kids these games and then retort with OMFGWTFISTHIS!? don't realise that theres an 18 STICKER ON IT!

grr. How does somebody not know what an 18 means? Again IQ! Its often enough pressed upon us in the news, heck even when you go to the cinema! :hmm:

I reckon most ciritcs of gaming fail to appreciate the fundamental disconnect between gamer and on screen actions. It's very rare that a game is well made enough to cause genuine emotional repsonse to violence on screen.

Interestingly enough- I only note this happening twice but both in the last 2 years.

the first was GTA 4: The new animation suite from Lucasarts (forget the name) produced some genuinely unsettling deaths. One in particular struck me as particularly gruesome and from that point on I chose to limit the amount of violence I caused throughout the game.

and MW2 was unsettling. Not just the Airport (which, aside from being in the worst plot ever and totally out of place, was rather good) but a number of scripted, motion captured execution deaths were deeply unpleasant.

That said- I've watched films with many, many more violent deaths and non of them have made me a psycho either. Winner.

I do think the violent content has to peak sooner or later though. I mean, with the rising fidelity of the technology involved, you simply can't take the act of shooting someone in the face to the point where it genuinely looks realistic.

Also, I'd like to think we all fancy something a bit more demanding from our hobby at some point.

On BBC 1 now, dunno what program it is now.

All arisen from the infamous airport scene in COD MW2. Actually not all one sided as you would expect. There are a few religious people kicking off but also a priest who plays World of Warcraft.

What is this airport scene you speak of? I've heard nothing about it sadly.

What is this airport scene you speak of? I've heard nothing about it sadly.

It's a very fun and satisfying scene where you mow down hundreds of people at an Airport.