NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I had a similar thing to you Kav a few days before Mario came out, I took the Switch out of the dock and it would let unlock it but afterwards was just stuck on a black screen. Nothing I did seemed to help, tried locking it and unlocking it a few times, trying it in the dock but no response. Luckily a hard reset sorted it out but for a while I was terrified of losing my saves and not having a console to play Mario on. I think that's the only technical hitch I've had in 7 months of owning it so I'm pretty lucky really, my brother had to start all over again on Zelda and Mario Kart. Desperately need cloud saves announced soon, I'm antsy for them to bring out the Zelda DLC now so I can get that finished while my save data still exists, would hate to have to go through it again just to get to the new stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr-Paul said:

Three days into owning a Switch and I'm loving it. Such a massive step up from the Wii U. Shame there are still concerns about the online service, but Nintendo absolutely nailed the console itself, and I'm actually really liking the minimal UI. And Mario Odyssey is just insanely addictive. Already about 200 Moons in!

Have added a selection of people from here already, but if you'd like to add me my friend code is 5531-8300-3351.

Has anyone here done the changing regions thing to use other the eShop from other countries? Read that Stardew Valley is only £6 on the Mexican eShop instead of £11 here!

Yes, I import most of my games (using a Monzo to avoid international charges) and it's great.

I recommend using this link to identify the prices of eShop games across the globe (it also includes a 'Best Deals' section): https://eshop-prices.com/games

• Thanks 1

I find savecoins.me to be a good place for finding out which eShop is cheapest. But I recommend setting up a permanent South African account as most titles are cheaper there.

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

Yes, I import most of my games (using a Monzo to avoid international charges) and it's great.

I recommend using this link to identify the prices of eShop games across the globe (it also includes a 'Best Deals' section): https://eshop-prices.com/games

Yep I was planning on using my Monzo! (and was using that site to check prices!) 

Good to see people are taking advantage of the Switch being region free! 

Guess I'll give it a go when I get home then! :D

8 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

Good to see people are taking advantage of the Switch being region free!

Taking advantage of the Switch being region free to get games that haven't been localised for Europe, fantastic.

Taking advantage to get an independent game as cheap as possible, I wouldn't say that's a particularly great thing. Don't get me wrong I love a bargain as much as anyone but the gaming industry is so fragile right now, I'm more than happy to give indie devs what their game is worth, and even at £11 Stardew is a steal!

(sorry to get all soapbox-y, it was just a thought)

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Taking advantage of the Switch being region free to get games that haven't been localised for Europe, fantastic.

Taking advantage to get an independent game as cheap as possible, I wouldn't say that's a particularly great thing. Don't get me wrong I love a bargain as much as anyone but the gaming industry is so fragile right now, I'm more than happy to give indie devs what their game is worth, and even at £11 Stardew is a steal!

(sorry to get all soapbox-y, it was just a thought)

I understand where you're coming from, but the Switch being region free means I'm likely to purchase many more titles as I can get more for my money. I've purchased far more than I ever planned to and I would have missed out on some of these games otherwise. 

From my understanding, Indie developers are quite supportive of this system (PS4 uses it) and I'm sure Nintendo made the decision to let players switch regions knowing full well how to create the best possible environment for developers.

• Like 1

Who gets the money in the end, though? The developers shouldn't get money based on where a digital game was bought, it's more likely that they get the same amount of money no matter the shop, as long as the game is sold. I think it's equivalent to buying the games physically. If the same game is more expensive at another shop, the difference in price just goes to the shop and not the developer.

This is just me guessing, though.

10 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

Have added a selection of people from here already, but if you'd like to add me my friend code is 5531-8300-3351.

This reminds me, someone on Twitter asked me for mine the other day and I came here to find it and then realised mine is still the dummy example one when I set up the field before owning a Switch. Should update that next time I'm on the console.

shame it's not a username but here we are

10 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

Good, now I can finally add the real Mr-Paul.

Or so I thought. I'm unable to find anyone using that number.. Are you sure it's correct?

41 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Good, now I can finally add the real Mr-Paul.

Or so I thought. I'm unable to find anyone using that number.. Are you sure it's correct?

Well that was stupid of me! It's actually 5331-8300-3351! Damn fives and threes!

Also, echoing Goron's explanation re: buying from different regions. 

Thirdly, Monzo doesn't work on the Mexican eShop. Went for the South African one instead.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

shame it's not a username but here we are

Their friend code system on Switch is actually pretty smart (never thought I'd say that!)

PS4 has usernames but there's been a big demand for years by fans for the ability to change your PSN name. Sony so far don't seem able to do it, though they've said they're trying.

Nintendo has 12 digit codes, but you can change your actual username as often as you like. It's also not like old friend codes where both people have to enter each other's code, the Switch version works just like any other. Add someone, they accept, done.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Their friend code system on Switch is actually pretty smart (never thought I'd say that!)

PS4 has usernames but there's been a big demand for years by fans for the ability to change your PSN name. Sony so far don't seem able to do it, though they've said they're trying.

Nintendo has 12 digit codes, but you can change your actual username as often as you like. It's also not like old friend codes where both people have to enter each other's code, the Switch version works just like any other. Add someone, they accept, done.

That's kind of a false equivalence.  Yes, you can't change your PSN name and that is a pain, but you also can't change the identifier you need to give on Switch in order for someone to add you. You're comparing apples and oranges, seemingly just to complain about oranges.

It is nice you can change your display name, but I am sure as shit not going to remember another 12 digit code to give out to other people but I do remember my PSN name because its the same thing I use everywhere (other than here). 

The process for adding (add, they accept, done) is great, but also a catch up to their competitors.  No doubt the Switch FC system is the best of Nintendo's systems, but its still the worst (in my opinion) of the current crop of consoles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

PS4 has Switch beat on this one.

If you had a choice between a unique and arbitrary long number or unique words and numbers of your choosing, you'd definitely pick the latter.

On the PS4 you can set and change your name just the same, and make it so that appears as your main name with your tag also appearing beneath it. This includes a surname, if you want. On the Switch, at a glance you basically see people's chosen first name (e.g. when they log in), which is quite annoying as my list is full of people called Chris and Matt who I have no idea who they are. It's also difficult to remember people's individual friend codes so looking at them doesn't help you much. I could look at my friend list on Switch full of N-Europers and quite honestly I wouldn't be able to tel you who all of them are.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I could look at my friend list on Switch full of N-Europers and quite honestly I wouldn't be able to tel you who all of them are.

I'm the attractive one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

That's kind of a false equivalence.  Yes, you can't change your PSN name and that is a pain, but you also can't change the identifier you need to give on Switch in order for someone to add you. You're comparing apples and oranges, seemingly just to complain about oranges.

It is nice you can change your display name, but I am sure as shit not going to remember another 12 digit code to give out to other people but I do remember my PSN name because its the same thing I use everywhere (other than here). 

The process for adding (add, they accept, done) is great, but also a catch up to their competitors.  No doubt the Switch FC system is the best of Nintendo's systems, but its still the worst (in my opinion) of the current crop of consoles.

Why would you need to change your 12 digit identifier? :confused: It's not a false equivalence in the slightest.

Never suggested the process for adding is anything but a catch up to competitors, just that that process is equal.

32 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

PS4 has Switch beat on this one.

If you had a choice between a unique and arbitrary long number or unique words and numbers of your choosing, you'd definitely pick the latter.

On the PS4 you can set and change your name just the same, and make it so that appears as your main name with your tag also appearing beneath it. This includes a surname, if you want. On the Switch, at a glance you basically see people's chosen first name (e.g. when they log in), which is quite annoying as my list is full of people called Chris and Matt who I have no idea who they are. It's also difficult to remember people's individual friend codes so looking at them doesn't help you much. I could look at my friend list on Switch full of N-Europers and quite honestly I wouldn't be able to tel you who all of them are.

Disagree, and you can't change your PSN name as far as I'm aware, Kinda Funny complain about it all the time, they have an entire section dedicated to bad PSN names that Sony won't let them change.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Disagree, and you can't change your PSN name as far as I'm aware, Kinda Funny complain about it all the time, they have an entire section dedicated to bad PSN names that Sony won't let them change.

That's fine that you disagree, but at least provide some explanation as I literally countered every point you put out.

You most definitely can change the name that will appear to others. And you can also set your own photo or picture that friends see on your profile, rather than the PSN avatar. I also fail to see how (*checks Switch friend code*) "5442-9012-6148" (my friend code) is better than "Meltigemini" (something I didn't have to look up). In order to befriend someone on Switch, at least one of you is going to have to look your friend code up, because it's just arbitrary. Not so on PSN.

Edited by Sheikah

Oh I see, you can change the display name for your close friends, just not your actual PSN name. Got it.

Just now, Ronnie said:

Oh I see, you can change the display name for your close friends, just not your actual PSN name. Got it.

Yup, exactly the same as the Switch with its friend code. Not that it would even matter if you could (or can) change your friend code, as it'd still be arbitrary.

5 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Yup, exactly the same as the Switch with its friend code. Not that it would even matter if you could (or can) change your friend code, as it'd still be arbitrary.

But that's my point, no one cares about wanting to change a 12 digit code, there's no need to change it. People do like the option to change their username/gamer tag though, which you can do on the Switch.

But that's my point, no one cares about wanting to change a 12 digit code, there's no need to change it. People do like the option to change their username/gamer tag though, which you can do on the Switch.

And you can change the name that appears to people on PSN - and your profile picture. Don't know why we are still talking about this.  

You choose who sees that name, sure, but that's a good thing. If I choose to use my real name (as many do on Switch), I'd also like to choose who sees that.

Out of interest, what is your opinion on the friend code being arbitrary and something you most likely will need to look up to share with someone, versus a handle? It feels like you are avoiding certain inadequacies to make a point here.

13 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Out of interest, what is your opinion on the friend code being arbitrary and something you most likely will need to look up to share with someone, versus a handle? It feels like you are avoiding certain inadequacies to make a point here.

I think it's annoying for about 2 minutes then gives me the freedom to change my Switch username whenever I like. Both the name that appears to my friends, AND the tag that appears online to everyone.

On the subject of Nintendo’s friend system on Switch, one thing I like at the moment is how it suggests friends from all of their mobile titles (as well as Wii U and 3DS of course). I’m fast approaching 100 people added on Animal Crossing Pocket Camp now, and it’ll be great to easily send friend requests to some of the dedicated AC fans I’ve met on there, whenever the Switch version of AC finally hits. ;)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

I think it's annoying for about 2 minutes then gives me the freedom to change my Switch username whenever I like. Both the name that appears to my friends, AND the tag that appears online to everyone.

But you have the freedom to change your display name on PS4 too. You just get to choose who sees that display name - choice is a good thing, no?

Honestly, the way Switch does this is a bit of a mess. If someone changes their display name on my Switch, which has happened, I have literally no clue who they are. It's kinda mad that there is no permanent handle for people for you to refer to. I have genuinely been searching friend codes in google to be linked to N-Europe to see who some of the people on my list are.

Not that it matters much mind, what with the Switch's innate lack of a messaging system. :laughing:

Edited by Sheikah

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Why would you need to change your 12 digit identifier? :confused: It's not a false equivalence in the slightest.

Never suggested the process for adding is anything but a catch up to competitors, just that that process is equal.

As is kind of being discussed with Sheikah, it is a false equivalence.  

1) On both consoles you can't change the unique identifier you have to give out for someone to add you.

2) On both consoles you can change the display name that others see.

You compared point 1 for the PS4 with point 2 for Switch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

As is kind of being discussed with Sheikah, it is a false equivalence.  

1) On both consoles you can't change the unique identifier you have to give out for someone to add you.

2) On both consoles you can change the display name that others see.

You compared point 1 for the PS4 with point 2 for Switch.

You can change the display name on PS4 "Mark Smith" or whatever, which only your close friends see, not the PSN username you appear as online.

A lot of people are still using the PSN name they signed up with on the PS3 a decade a go

Kotaku: I still hate my shitty PSN name

Point is, I'd rather have 2 minutes of annoyance to give a friend code to someone, for the freedom to be able to change my username whenever I want.

Edited by Ronnie