Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Where He Goes, You Decide

Ashley

(said in a Geordie accent obviously)

So today I got offered a job. Usually a time of huzzahs, but I'm not so sure. Its in London, which is where I would like to be (I think...) but ups and downs which I shall now present for the jury.

London, in itself interesting (or at least more so than this one Starbucks town), I have a few friends down there who do something more than occassionally squirt out a lil'un. However the job is retail which makes me want to stab myself a little and is about £1,100/month after taxes and I'm not really sure if that's enough to live on (what's the fun of being in London if all I can afford to do is work) due to rent, bills, council tax, food, transport etc. Any Londoners wanna weigh in on the cost kinda thing? Its not something I want to do with the rest of my life and I'd imagine doing 43 hours a week will mean during my free time I won't have time/energy to explore other options easily. The people seem nice and what not. However the six month training is in Brixton :heh:

Here has the main advantage of not having to pay bills and everything (I shall contribute but obviously it won't be near as much as living alone in London) and while I will get a job, and it'll probably be in retail, I won't feel as trapped within it as I won't have all these overheads to cover. I will set myself a period of one year to sort myself out; so either figure out what I want to do for a masters and go do that or get a job and move out. Obviously the downsides being a) its at 'home' (not family home as that broke up, but mother and her partner who are nice but you know, once you move out its weird going back), b) its kinda in the middle of nowhere as its not in my old hometown and c) my friends are all essentially old (ie married with kids), however if I get a job hopefully I can make new friends.

I want to do something creative and something meaningful with my life and pursue that and I think here may be the better option for that, but I dunno. I suck at decision making. So its up to you.

What shall I do?

Hmmmm. I would imagine that money isn't enough to live in London on and be comfortable/happy/saving towards future or whatever.

That said....I mean its something different. You don't have to do it forever. Although 6 month training sounds a bit excessive? You said its retail right....I didn't realised they did training in retail outlets....

Its managerial but even so, I ran Game. It can't be that different. Whether they just set that block as training and dawdle (sp?) through or whether I'll train and then for the rest of the time just build up my experience but seriously, it can't be that difficult. I learnt my way through Game's system in a few weeks and by the end of my 2 1/2 years there I could operate it blindfolded....and fiddle it.

The stabbing yourself part makes me believe that you are not enthusiastic about taking it on. Really, if I were to move from where I am because of a job, it would have to be a job that I was particularly happy or excited about.

Living by yourself is tough, and you'll need to go through the hassle of finding a place to live in London. Really, I think you should only consider moving from where you are once you already have some sort of backing behind you. If you did lose your job for example or had reduced hours, then that would be a pretty big problem as you will still have to pay rent and bills and stuff.

I moved back home after I finished uni, because I don't have the financial backing to get a place of my own. It all depends whether or not you think you could live and get by, and only you can really answer that, as you know your own financial situation better than we will.

Living in London has many appealing factors, and it could be a place that you could consider living in for the future. I think it's a case of "right place, wrong job" maybe?

I think it'd be far easier for you to sort things out and get yourself ready if you stay where you are for now, and then once you've saved more money or whatever, you can think about moving and working in London.

It would be exciting moving to London, but I can imagine it would be a big struggle

£1,100 a month? That's enough to live on and more than enough if you find someone to live with.

You're going to have to work out how the tube works, though.

Take a risk, like Noodleman wisely said, if all goes shits up you can move back home.

"you should only consider moving from where you are once you already have some sort of backing behind you"? Diddums. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Edited by Daft
Typos! Goddamn typos!!

The stabbing yourself part makes me believe that you are not enthusiastic about taking it on. Really, if I were to move from where I am because of a job, it would have to be a job that I was particularly happy or excited about.

Living by yourself is tough, and you'll need to go through the hassle of finding a place to live in London. Really, I think you should only consider moving from where you are once you already have some sort of backing behind you. If you did lose your job for example or had reduced hours, then that would be a pretty big problem as you will still have to pay rent and bills and stuff.

I moved back home after I finished uni, because I don't have the financial backing to get a place of my own. It all depends whether or not you think you could live and get by, and only you can really answer that, as you know your own financial situation better than we will.

Living in London has many appealing factors, and it could be a place that you could consider living in for the future. I think it's a case of "right place, wrong job" maybe?

A lot of things makes me want to stab myself. Retail, Michael Bays' films, ReZ's posts. I learn to live with stab marks.

I think your "right place, wrong job" statement may be accurate.

Meh go, if it all goes wrong then you can still move back. At least you gave it a shot.

£1,100 a month? That's enough to live on and more than enough if you find someone to live with.

You're going to have to work out how the tube works, though.

Take a risk, like Noodleman wisely said, if all goes shits up you can move back home.

"you should only consider moving from where you are once you already have some sort of backing behind you"? Diddums. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I think the "if it goes wrong you can just move back" idea is good in theory but in practice you've a) failed essentially and all the emotional crappiness that comes with (and okay yeah yeah "if i fail well then i fail but i gave it a shot") and b) its an even bigger setback. I know a few people who moved to London after uni, it didn't work and and they moved back and its taken several years for them to be in a position to be able to move back.

And London'll be nice and fun but lately its lost its charm a bit.

I did find someone to move in with but he dropped off the face of the earth ages ago, keep trying to get in touch. Anyway if I went and failed well then I've also affected this person.

And I've gotten better at the tube :heh:

Hmm I think ultimately it doesn't feel right. I could handle a scary "leap" as it were if it felt right but there are several factors which are causing this lack of certainty.

A lot of things makes me want to stab myself. Retail, Michael Bays' films, ReZ's posts. I learn to live with stab marks.

I think your "right place, wrong job" statement may be accurate.

I think the "if it goes wrong you can just move back" idea is good in theory but in practice you've a) failed essentially and all the emotional crappiness that comes with (and okay yeah yeah "if i fail well then i fail but i gave it a shot") and b) its an even bigger setback. I know a few people who moved to London after uni, it didn't work and and they moved back and its taken several years for them to be in a position to be able to move back.

I did find someone to move in with but he dropped off the face of the earth ages ago, keep trying to get in touch. Anyway if I went and failed well then I've also affected this person.

Hmm I think ultimately it doesn't feel right. I could handle a scary "leap" as it were if it felt right but there are several factors which are causing this lack of certainty.

You did sound very uncertain in your first post about it. The jump, in all honesty, wouldn't be that scary, imo. You've been to uni, although I forget where the uni is in relation to your house. Is it in the same town or city? If so, then it could be a pretty scary jump. But, if not, then you'll know what to expect. :heh:

It's really down to what you would gain. Is the job really what you're after, and is it worth moving to a new location for? That's what you have to ask yourself. Some jobs will be, and some jobs just won't "fit." Its really down to how much you fancy taking on this new job and this new change of scenary.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with moving to a different place to make a go of something. I did it with uni, and I'll probably do it again in future once I've finished my NQT year. I guess it all comes down to how much you fancy making a go of it with this job, heh.

Also, being in London, you'll no doubt make new friends through work, and then friends of friends and so forth. So many people there. Its impossible not to make friends. :p

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I think wondering 'what if' would be more emotionally draining than admiting defeat. It can be a good thing to fail. As Kennedy said 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'

I'd advise you look for a flat share. Something like gumtree would be a good place to start. You'll be making it much more difficult for yourself if you live alone.

It sounds like you've already made your decision, though.

Was just pondering on it and I can look at it this way; I have succeeded in getting a job in London. Ergo, I can do it again. I've proven I'm not completely unemployable (huzzah!) and I shall continue to apply for jobs that I am more keen to do. I applied for this when I was going to do my masters which I have since decided not to (as its a would have been a waste of money as I had no intention of doing anything with it) so I was in a position where I needed something, anything, to move down there. That pressure is off now a bit.

In spite of how it sounds I was planning to flat share. By "alone"/"independent" I meant sans any family help.

Lately I feel like I've never stopped to consider what I want to do. I went from high school to college to uni and now I jumped on this (and masters) for the sake of having a direction. I hate feeling directionless, but is it worth going in any old direction just to have a direction?

Mhm and I'm pretty set I'm going to stay here (and just crash at Jodie's when I need my London fix) but its always useful to talk stuff out with people as they can offer different ways to look at things.

(oh and thanks people for talking stuff out)

I have no idea which is the confusing thing.

Actually I'm starting to shape ideas and they're creative based so I think I may spend the next year building a suitable portfolio and apply for applicable postgrads.

Sounds like a good plan.

Man, you ain't half a pain in the arse. ;)

It is frustrating and annoying if you feel a bit lost for direction and ideas. But, the important thing is not to panic. You're still young, you've got experience in retail under your belt, and also a degree. So, there's some things there to work with. It sounds like you have a base or something to work from in that post I just quoted. So, look at that and see what you can do with it.

The guy who is posting for advice on a Nintendo Board has made up his mind without consulting the guy with the 5000 dollar suit Cmon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcC3mj3oYw

I would say while would be classic to have a GOB buddy in the city don't go for it if you don't feel secure 6 months training is a disaster if its something you are so so about. Also you could live off that if you shared but I don't think its good enough to make you do something you don't seem enthused about.

So I basically agree with everyone else lol.

I think it'd be far easier for you to sort things out and get yourself ready if you stay where you are for now, and then once you've saved more money or whatever, you can think about moving and working in London.

It would be exciting moving to London, but I can imagine it would be a big struggle

This. I was going to say the same thing. It's exciting, of course it is, but would you be prepared money-wise? I mean, you don't want to go over to London and find you can't afford much because I'd guess, as Febee said, it would be a big struggle.

So I basically agree with everyone else lol.

But you said it with an AD reference, which is why you're special.

This. I was going to say the same thing. It's exciting, of course it is, but would you be prepared money-wise? I mean, you don't want to go over to London and find you can't afford much because I'd guess, as Febee said, it would be a big struggle.

Mhm, as I think I said somewhere else; what's the point in living in London if I can't live in London.

Now I just need to figure out how to reject a job...and they think I'm living in London at present so I can't just say I'm staying put.

Having lived in London for a few years now and coming down straight after uni I have some experience of what you're going through. Not too much to add as you seem to have already made up your mind, if you do want to ask anything though feel free.

Firstly that amount of money would be more than enough to live on down here. To be completely honest it's not that much more expensive down here than other places. Also bear in mind your career progression is likely to be much faster, more money and better jobs come up a lot faster for the people I know in London than friends who stayed at home or my uni town.

Personally if you're likely to end up doing the same thing living at home I'd say it's worth making the move to London. On the rejection front just say you've had a better offer, might make them up theirs and you end up with a whole different picture to consider.

£1,100/mo for 43hr/week taxed? Hm... If you had said a bit more than that, I would've told you to go for it because it would've been a refreshing change of scenery and a chance to try new things.

Well it is £7/hour for the 12 week trial period, then £7.50/hour (which the £1,100 is based on) after that and he said there would be negotiations every six months following that.

I rang him earlier and explained I am considering going back into education and he understood and was supportive but then said if I'm looking for part time work to let him know and I said I would. Stupid me ^_^

But I'm kinda flattered he chose me over this other candidate he mentioned who had more experience. I obviously have a better personality :heh: