Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Thanks, Merci, Grazie, Gracias, Obrigado, Dank u, Bedankt, Xie xie, Arigato

Ashley

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't 'Kudos' be more appropriate than 'Thanks'? People seem to be using the feature more as a way of saying, "I endorse this post and/or product," such as Thank-ing people for making entertaining comments. I don't have any issue with the usage — it certainly beats people just saying "lol" or whatever — but pedant that I am the terminology irks me.

There shouldn't be any scripting involved in changing the wording, so don't give me that excuse! Honestly, people would think you administrate this forum for free or something.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure the "Total Thanks" field in user profiles is actually "Thanks Given". For instance mine currently reads "Total Thanks: 0" because I'm ungrateful.

• 1 month later...
BTW, I don't want to sound rude, but...

“Dank u Bedankt†is NOT supposed to be the German word for “thank youâ€, right?

(Because that would be “Danke†or “Dankeschönâ€)

Nope, both "dank u" and "bedankt" are Dutch versions of thank you. Why Ashley put two for Dutch, I don't know...

Nope, both "dank u" and "bedankt" are Dutch versions of thank you. Why Ashley put two for Dutch, I don't know...

I was informed they were slightly different for two different countries, I forget which. However I am now saying its a nod to our Dutch heritage.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!