Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Unfortunetly I have the same view as jayseven when it comes to university. I could have learnt alot (not all) this on my own without paying 3grand.

But its not just me, nor sheffield hallam, its things people keep saying to me time and time again, I learn so much at college and it was free, yet I'm learning less at university and paying a ridiculous amount.

Sigh, sorry I'll move on.

One thing that pissed me off at University was "non-contact time."

Yeah, it is important to do your own research, and becoming more independent with your studies. But, apart from my first year where I think I was in every day with quite long hours, it was a joke towards the end. In my second, third and fourth years (third and fourth in particular), I doubt I was in for more than 3 days a week, at a push. My hours were stupid too, and I'd hazard a guess that maybe I was spending between 8-10 hours a week at uni.

Imo, that's nothing. I don't think it was great value for money at all. The lecturers and teachers were pretty good, but we just didn't spend enough time hearing what they had to say. Given that our course was teacher training, it didn't feel like we were being trained an awful lot.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, if anyone does do Media Studies here I'm not going to apologise for my views. Some subjects shouldn't be given a degree status.

Yeah you're probably right. It's not as useless as people seem to think, but a degree is a bit much. I can't really comment though as I don't know what a degree in Media Studies includes.

Pretty much the only thing we learnt that wasn't analysing stuff was creating adverts/promotional packages. I made one for an imaginary Battle Royale (the film) game. Good times.

To be honest, if anyone does do Media Studies here I'm not going to apologise for my views. Some subjects shouldn't be given a degree status.

I did a simple subject at a shit uni (but I had my reasons). But at the end of the day if I was going to pay through the nose for something I figured I may as well enjoy it (and learn obviously, but as opposed to doing something like maths or science which I don't enjoy).

(a decent MS degree goes beyond the A-level "count how many shots in this segment" basics. Looks at philosophy, history, sociology etc) - in response to Goafer

Edited by Ashley

I did a simple subject at a shit uni (but I had my reasons). But at the end of the day if I was going to pay through the nose for something I figured I may as well enjoy it (and learn obviously, but as opposed to doing something like maths or science which I don't enjoy).

(a decent MS degree goes beyond the A-level "count how many shots in this segment" basics. Looks at philosophy, history, sociology etc) - in response to Goafer

Word up Cornflake!

Don't drag me into your category pint-puller.

:heh:

Ouchie, this cat has claws!

I'll become a telemarketer, then we'll see who's laughing. It might even be me. :hehe:

[Actually, my latest potential career rests in Barclays, but if telesales comes up... One of us will be in Deep trouble]

Fine but why is it necessary that it be at degree level?

Slightly off topic, what can someone do with Media Studies?

Slightly off topic, what can someone do with Media Studies?

He can get a rocking job in a pub doing 13 hours a week.

When something else happens I'll let you know.

In theory, it would kinda depend on what choice of courses you made within the degree.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Variety of reasons. Degrees have become so over-saturated that its almost necessary to do some form of postgrad to even stand out anymore, yet alone a degree, so just an A-level would be pretty moot (as you say, blame Labour. The "50% in HE" idea is pretty inane). Degree level looks into wider aspects and at a deeper level (as discussed earlier. We certainly never would have discussed Freud, Foucault, Butler, de Sade, Said etc at A-level) and I was interested in this. Genuinely unsure what I wanted to be when I was 18. And all those life experiences and stuff like that.

Simply put. I wanted to do a degree and I decided to do something I like and now I intend to do more with it.

Oh speaking of, apparently.

One thing that pissed me off at University was "non-contact time."

Yeah, it is important to do your own research, and becoming more independent with your studies. But, apart from my first year where I think I was in every day with quite long hours, it was a joke towards the end. In my second, third and fourth years (third and fourth in particular), I doubt I was in for more than 3 days a week, at a push. My hours were stupid too, and I'd hazard a guess that maybe I was spending between 8-10 hours a week at uni.

Imo, that's nothing. I don't think it was great value for money at all. The lecturers and teachers were pretty good, but we just didn't spend enough time hearing what they had to say. Given that our course was teacher training, it didn't feel like we were being trained an awful lot.

It gets worse day by day for me, angry that I'm spending so much money for 50% of my tutors who couldn't give a crap/don't mark correctly/don't know their subject. The other 50% are brilliant but like you said, 1hour a week with that tutor just isn't enough, given one of my tutors has over 10 years working with 3dsmax and we barely saw him for 6weeks. Its such a waste!

I have to say nowadays I do warn people against uni, don't get me wrong, uni is a great place to learn things like growing up, maybe learning a thing or two about your subject. But its just now worth the time you pay, something like £50 an hour I pay to hear my tutors rave on about films when I do games design, its not right.

I imagine eventually I will see the bright side to university, but right now when I'm stuck doing 30hours outside of uni researching something they should be teaching me - well it just fucks me off.

Daft what would you say is worth having at degree level?

A degree surely means you have 'levelled up' your knowledge of a subject (Bachelor, master, doctrate). I see no problem with having degrees in anything, so long as the given levels of mastery are appropriate for the given course, old-skool guild stylee.

B, M, PhD

A, Eng, Sc, Tech

English psychology carpentry what the fuck ever.

I just think you're focusing too much on the 'degree' aspect. We have enough classifications and identifyers that prove one course is not necessarily as hard as another (surely your only beef?)

I'd say it could be argued to be 'necessary' just because of what the 'B' 'M' and 'PhD' should stand for. It sets a minimum standard for what we want to pass on to our children.

I am slightly arguing for arguments sake.

Tbh, my comments weren't really aimed at the war. Although if you're talking about retaliation against 9/11 I'm going to have point out it was the reaction to that event that landed us in this decade of terror.

From that point on, events have only escalated. Islamophobia, the attack on the London Underground, Madrid.

Not to mention the Taliban were only in the position they were in because of American funding to fight the Russians.

Actually...I'm not sure why we need to be in Afghanistan.

I don't see how our reaction landed us in a decade of terror. Well i do sort of see what you are saying but i don't see what else could have been done? Just leave the Taliban in power and continue to have state sponsored terror?

Islamophobia is not due to our reaction. Its due tot the small group of nutters that use Islam as an excuse to blow up embassies, drive boats in to ships, planes in to buildings and wear bombs in crowded areas such as trains, nightclubs and planes.

America funding the Taliban? There was more than just the yanks doing that. And it wasn't strictly speaking the Taliban. But either way we all make mistakes and just because the west put them there doesnt really mean they should have been allowed to stay there.

Points to make;

Danny - you want a stoning? If we make you eat rocks we're just going to make your brain rattle more when you think. And by 'think' I mean 'be unable to comprehend any other way of life, any complexities in other individual human beings'. Your definition of scum is overstuffed with exaggeration. Just because you don't have the vocabulary to properly formulate your true opinion on the matter doesn't mean you have to lie/resort to The Sun terminology.

It wasn't me who said it i quoted it. As for lying maybe after 13 years of new (zanu) Labour it comes easy?

As for scum i don't feel it exaggerated after having my life put in unnecessary danger for some piss poor money related issues i will stick with the term scum.

... It wasn't me who said you quoted whatever-it-is either. What are you on about?

I've argued with you before. You ignore most of the points made and only respond to the ones you think you actually have a legitimate response to, which is enough to prove my...

Oh, yeah! You're not able to use your own mind as a set of scales and compare pros and cons. You can't seem to grasp anything less than Black or White.
... point.

You pick and choose what to reply to because you can't admit fault, which just leads to Waste Of Time.

She looks like a Chinese transvestite laundry shop owner o_O Still, good music and all that but I always pictured her...differently. (I have seen pics before obviously but nothing to ever fix itself in my mind).

There was a headline in the local paper which made me smile with geekish glee;

Final Five Moved From Underhill House

I did a mediocre 3 A levels and I have a job, and potential(!!!) prospects, take that!

If I had waited and done a degree, i would have finished a year or so ago (right in the middle of the credit crunch yay) and be stuck with no job at all. And debt. I'm glad to say i'm overall in the black (only just!)

I did a mediocre 3 A levels and I have a job, and potential(!!!) prospects, take that!

If I had waited and done a degree, i would have finished a year or so ago (right in the middle of the credit crunch yay) and be stuck with no job at all. And debt. I'm glad to say i'm overall in the black (only just!)

Pretty much describes me. HUZZAH!

HEYYOO!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!