NEurope

How the fuck does that happen, like...how? Like...I just mean...like how. Honestly, I actually don't/can't comprehend how! Why doesnt the bloody article explain it more!

The teenager was attempting to make a sculpture of her own hands during a lesson in January 2007 when the horrific accident happened.

Don't want to be harsh, but that's pretty ironic.

Seriously, that school is fucked up, letting something like this happen. It may or may not have been a good idea (I don't know, as I, like Rummy, cannot grasp what the heck actually happened!), but the teacher should definitely have exercised the necessary safety precautions to prevent something like this from happening!

This was on the radio (I'm forced to listen to Radio 2) pretty much all day.

Basically, the kids were told to make a sculpture of their hands using plaster. This girl decided that it would be to use her own hands as a mould (they were supposed to make a clay mould and use that) for the sculpture and so she stuck her hands into a bucket of the stuff and it set around her hands, trapping them in the bucket. The plaster then set around her hands.

Which resulted in this:

_46536073_plaster_226.jpg

While the school could have mentioned the dangers a bit more (perhaps the teachers did), it would have been avoided if the kid had listened/wasn't skipping steps. Although at 16, they aren't really kids and should have enough common sense to not stick your hands in stuff like this.

I'm still not quite sure I understand it, but I also didn't realise she was 16, how embarrassing. So what WERE they sposed to use the plaster for? I presume for the cast, but then that makes me wonder why they were using for the mold?

Which resulted in this:

_46536073_plaster_226.jpg

Now I've heard of 'suffering for your art' but that's fucking ridiculous... :blank:

I'm still not quite sure I understand it, but I also didn't realise she was 16, how embarrassing. So what WERE they sposed to use the plaster for? I presume for the cast, but then that makes me wonder why they were using for the mold?

I assume the mould they made in clay would either be filled up or covered in plaster. Something like that.

It's pretty horrible it happened though. Makes you wonder if the teachers warned them enough about the risks or not, or if there was no one around who saw what was going on.

Won't be asking her for a handjob if I see her at a club ;)

Why was it so hot? Surely the pupils should have known it was soooooooo hot. I blame the students.

It's pretty horrible it happened though. Makes you wonder if the teachers warned them enough about the risks or not, or if there was no one around who saw what was going on.

True, it's a damning statement of general apathy from teachers regarding Health/Safety and from pupils regarding complete lack of common sense.

Won't be asking her for a handjob if I see her at a club ;)

Why was it so hot? Surely the pupils should have known it was soooooooo hot. I blame the students.

No, plaster becomes hot once it's been applied. It starts out at a normal temperature, but once it starts to dry it becomes really warm (and if there's body temperature in there I bet that makes it even worse).

No, plaster becomes hot once it's been applied. It starts out at a normal temperature, but once it starts to dry it becomes really warm (and if there's body temperature in there I bet that makes it even worse).

Tricky stuff, then. Also, with some common sense, the girl would have figured that to make a plaster model of her hands, she would need to make a mold of her hands to put the plaster in, not simply splash them into the plaster itself. She's 16, she should have at least that amount of brain activity, and if she doesn't, that's why we have teachers to guide the students.

I feel bad about her suing the school. On the one hand, what with the unsupervised idiocy and the scarring for life, she has a couple of good points, but on the other hand... LOL. Sorry. I'm actually laughing out loud. Can't even finish it.

I feel bad about her suing the school. On the one hand, what with the unsupervised idiocy and the scarring for life, she has a couple of good points, but on the other hand... LOL. Sorry. I'm actually laughing out loud. Can't even finish it.

Don't worry Jay, I'll give you a hand...

lol

Ok, it's out of my system now, seriously though, it's complete fail that this even happened.

blah on the other hand... shizzle

Jeremy Beadle jokes have already monopolized that phrase.

she stuck her hands into a bucket of the stuff and it set around her hands, trapping them in the bucket. The plaster then set around her hands.

That just sounds as if if doesn't make sense. She stuck her hands in the bucket, and within seconds could lift it up with solid plaster?

She must've had her hands in there for some time.

But I guess it wouldn't start burning until it had been in there for sufficient time. I think this is mainly because that should have been explained that it can burn, but then you have health and safety gone mad because then every single danger would have to be explained.

Tough call in my opinion.

But I guess it wouldn't start burning until it had been in there for sufficient time. I think this is mainly because that should have been explained that it can burn, but then you have health and safety gone mad because then every single danger would have to be explained.

Tough call in my opinion.

I don't really see the problem. "Okay, kids, DON'T put your hands into the plaster. It'll harden and start burning." There.

Fucking hell, some of the comments in here are awful. This thread has gotten waaay out of hand.

Aaaaahahaha.

Anyway, the girl is a fool. Why would you want to make a replica of something you already have, like your hands? If it were me, I'd be looking to create breasts or something. She's lost her fingers, and it wasn't even worth it.

Jesus Christ. I have two friends back home who both have disfigured hands and it takes a pretty fucking hefty toll on their lives at times. Feel incredibly sorry for this girl.

Jesus Christ. I have two friends back home who both have disfigured hands and it takes a pretty fucking hefty toll on their lives at times. Feel incredibly sorry for this girl.

If you don't mind me asking, were they born that way or did they lose them in an accident or something?

It's awful that the girl has to go through life now without her fingers, but I think this was something that could and probably should have been avoided. :hmm:

Aaaaahahaha.

Anyway, the girl is a fool. Why would you want to make a replica of something you already have, like your hands? If it were me, I'd be looking to create breasts or something. She's lost her fingers, and it wasn't even worth it.

It was for an art project...you don't know the full concept behind it. I made a cast of my face earlier this year (though I followed the correct precautions, and made a mould from my actual skin/face in a plasticy substance used by dentists, THEN covered my face in plaster), but that wasn't going to just be my piece.

It was for an art project...you don't know the full concept behind it. I made a cast of my face earlier this year (though I followed the correct precautions, and made a mould from my actual skin/face in a plasticy substance used by dentists, THEN covered my face in plaster), but that wasn't going to just be my piece.

I don't think we ever did anything even remotely cool like that whilst at school. The closest we did was making clay masks, but that never required us creating casts or anything. Unless you're at an Art College or something? (I forget things).

So, basically, she needed to do A, then B, then C, but skipped from step A to C, and now this. Still, as humans, you do things without thinking of the consequences. I don't think it even went through her mind how dangerous it would be. A lot of people probably wouldn't know the exact dangers either? Maybe.