N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

West Brom won 3-2 at Blackpool. Bit of a tense game, especially with Blackpool's 80th minute leveller.

A great result though. Just a shame to see Miller limp off already, when he hasn't even properly made his comeback from injury :(

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Capello has sacked Terry, which disappoints me, I couldn't give a shit what he does in his personal life. For England he's done nothing wrong, and it only disrupts preparation for the World Cup. Though anything that unsettles Terry before Sunday is good news in the short term for Arsenal.

What worries me more is talk of Big Bird Ferdinand becoming captain, that's right we'll sack our captain for not being a role model, and give it to a drug cheat.. fantastic logic.

I'm pretty gutted for Terry he was a great captain.

It's gotta be largely Bridge saying he doesn't want to be in the same room as him that's got it to this stage, no one wants upset and sides being taken in the changing room, but ffs I'd rather keep Terry's moral up and have him as captain and just leave Bridge out the squad!

I don't understand the reasoning behind Rio!... great example!... apart from the years ban, there's the elbow incident and ban over him atm!

I would have given it to stevie G over rio personally...although he isn't in the best form at the moment. I do think terry is a bit of a liability and has been for a while. When I say that I mean in this era where being England captain has as much to do with all the media stuff and as such needs to be squeaky clean...which does somewhat rule out rio and gerrard tbh...and rooney for his brothel business and countless others....

Burn The Witch!

There's no doubt that the British Media love a witch-hunt. But, this sort of thing sells paper. As a nation, we love a scandal, for some reason.

However, I believe Capello has done what he needed to do. If you were an England player or squad member, would you still look up to John Terry with confidence, or more importantly, with trust? I think that would be a very difficult thing to do. The Captain is the leader on the field, and the players need to look up to that man and believe in them, they need to feel inspired by that person.

In a World Cup year, this is the last thing the team needed. What many people seem to forget is that the squad will be spending so much time together in the coming months. If there's animosity between the players, then that won't bode well for things on the pitch either. Football is a mental game, and all this talk can't be great for the team's morale.

Lastly, for John Terry's sake, he needs to keep his head down and concentrate on his football. In such a high profile position as Captain, I don't think he can do that right now. This news probably won't cease until quite some time, so for his own sake I don't think being the Captain right now would serve him well. It's added pressure on top of pressure. Losing the Captaincy might actually do him good, and I think there's a positive there.

As for Rio, I like the guy, but it's not his lack of squeaky clean character people should be worried about. It's the fact he's hardly played a game this season. 6 League Games played by February...that's not great, at all.

Sorry if I waffled, my Mum and brother are having a blazing row so the sound of my typing helped me to block that out.

Oh Capello :nono:

Rio Ferdinand? Really?! He's even got a ban at the moment, how could he be considered. I thought Lampard might be a decent choice, he's a good example. Not sure what he's like as a captain though.

nah not a natural leader imho. It seems all the players that are captain material have had their moments where they've done less than desirable things both on and off the pitch..

"Boring, boring Villa!" were the chants all throughout the match. Another game we dominated, and should've won, but couldn't find the back of the net. Villa parked the bus which to me shows a lack of ambition for a team supposedly chasing top four (to be fair, they defended really well). At least we took the game to them at Villa Park (another game where we dropped points). We're on a frustrating run, where we are not converting performances into points.

As far as I'm concerned Terry's done nothing wrong... If the fullback leaves a hole its the centre-backs job to fill it.

Haha. :D

The game against Pompey started off slowly, and they had a good chance or two to go ahead, more notably the one where Jonny Evans cleared a shot off the line. But, today was not their day. I'm worried for them because I'd like them to stay up, but they didn't seem to have that belief there today. It reminded me of the game we had against Wolves, where I think they were expecting to be beat before the game actually started. But then, they were playing United who had just beaten Arsenal and City...not the best time to play them. They really could've done without the game today.

On another note, Carrick really has been putting in the performances lately. I think the team has been playing better, and Rooney is on a brilliant run at the moment. It was also pleasing to see Nani playing, and he even put in another good performance whilst out on the left. I'm hoping Arsenal get something against Chelsea tomorrow...come onnnn! :heh:

5-0, talk about kicking when you're down...

Still, the Toon have had a good few results lately against teams in trouble, so we can hardly cry foul.

But I keep getting the feeling that if we bounce straight back up to the 'ship, we're going to bounce back down even harder.

Apart from the goals, I'd say we didn't have many great chances.

Was a decent action sort of game though with tempers definitely flaring up at the end. I agree that our defence was pretty great today, just shut you out when we blocked your momentum. Thought the free kick was best chance, along with the Arshavin chance just before the second goal.

Does anyone know what the hell Clichy was doing for the first goal? Literally ran to the front post for seemingly no reason. Not that I'm complaining that he practically gave us the goal :heh:

Apparently Carvalho was unmarked, so Cesc left his position to mark him. Clichy thought it would be a good idea to then go and stand in this space..

He's been absolutely shite this season, I know he's only recently come back from injury but in the last two games he's cost us 4 goals.

I was thinking the same thing about Clichy...why didn't he stay on the back post?

Throughout the whole game, I think I counted about 3 headers that Arsenal won in the Chelsea box. The whole game was this:

- Arsenal win the ball in the middle

- Arsenal drag the ball out wide

- Arsenal whip a ball into the box

- Chelsea clear the danger

Repeat for 90 minutes.

If the game plan was for Arsenal to launch so many balls into the box, then why wasn't Bendtner playing through the middle instead of Andrey Ankle-Height Arshavin?

I was thinking the same thing about Clichy...why didn't he stay on the back post?

Throughout the whole game, I think I counted about 3 headers that Arsenal won in the Chelsea box. The whole game was this:

- Arsenal win the ball in the middle

- Arsenal drag the ball out wide

- Arsenal whip a ball into the box

- Chelsea clear the danger

Repeat for 90 minutes.

If the game plan was for Arsenal to launch so many balls into the box, then why wasn't Bendtner playing through the middle instead of Andrey Ankle-Height Arshavin?

Arshavin should never be playing the through the middle by himself upfront, I really don't understand Wenger's logic there. He's not a striker.

Arsenal really need someone who can bang in the goals; Adebayor used to be the man for that and now Van Persie is injured they don't have anyone. Bendtner is dash and Eduardo isn't all he was cracked up to be.

Hummm, I seemed to have missed Terrygate on here however I'm sure it's not too late for my two cents. I'm not sure if I agree with his dismissal or with Rio being placed as the new captain even though I'm sure he will do a fantastic job and Terry will still throw his body around just as he used to. Yes Rio missed a drugs test however he did have a test soon after which found no evidence and he was only banned for missing the test not for any results from it so calling him a "drugs cheat" isn't entirely fair.

To be honest I thought Gerrard should be next in line, he seems to be the only viable candidate who is also captain for his club, however Capello's choice and the man knows what he is doing.

Arshavin should never be playing the through the middle by himself upfront, I really don't understand Wenger's logic there. He's not a striker.

Arsenal really need someone who can bang in the goals; Adebayor used to be the man for that and now Van Persie is injured they don't have anyone. Bendtner is dash and Eduardo isn't all he was cracked up to be.

I don't think it's so much the lack of goals as the lack of physical threat. Arsenal can get away with it against the smaller teams as they can't match them player wise but against the top 2, it just doesn't cut it. Fabregas, Walcott and Arshavin aren't much of a threat in the air against Terry, Carvalho and Ivanovic, yet they still constantly tried balls from out wide into the box.

Edited by Jon