Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Who else believes the Wii is starting to lose the "Console Wars"?

Guest Maase

Guest Maase

See, I've been a big fan of the Nintendo Wii, and since its announcment, I always thought "Yep... Wii is the best console"

Now, I still were agreeing with this, because I could use Wii for the original games and PC for the "Gamer Game's"

Unfortunately, seems like suddenly XBOX360 and PS3 are now getting to them, with far better technology, tbh.

Wiimote - Rotation, waggle and precision (also, a sound from the Wiimote)

PS3 thing - Rotation, waggle, precision and great drawing/selecting abilities. (also, a sphere from the controller)

Natal - Complete control of your movements.

So, yeah... who agrees with me?

PS: Sony fans, Microsoft fans, Nintendo fans, Sony fanboys, Microssoft fanboys, Nintendo fanboys, Sony retards, Microsoft Retards and Nintendo retards are all allowed here, so let's get to some analyzing and discussing here :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, the PS3 thingy doesen't seem at all better than the Wiimote with the WM+. Nor does the PS3 wand have a nunchuck. And what casual game will throw cash to buy a PS3 AND this addon that will cost god knows how much.

Natal on the other hand is just a stereo vision version of the Eyetoy. It will feel awkward to play most games without holding anything at all. The only thing I can think of that it actually would be good for is fighting games. It also seems slightly flawed, if you look at how badly the avatar followed the presenters movement.

And what goes for both of these is that they're addons, rather than the actual controller. So the question is, why should most developers create games for an accessory which is a potential mega flop?

Nintendo are now getting a bunch of core games, and they've already got the casuals hooked. Both MS and Sony feel like they're doing too little too late.

Nintendo can't possibly loose this generation, so no. We've got some great games coming up (they're perhaps not all recycled 'next gen' FPS, racing etc), including hardware shifting NSMB and Monster Hunter Tri. The traditional gamer should also be taking notice with quality goods like Silent Hill, Red Steel 2 and Bethseda's project.

There's a good 20 million unit difference between Wii and 360- thats like MS trying to sell the original XBOX.

I have no intention of making any real contribution to this laughable excuse of a thread, but I just wanted to highlight this gem of a phrase for its lolworthiness.

hahaha priceless mate!

I will say this though in reply to the thread - I check the weekly worldwide sales figures each week. Week on week the Wii outsells both the PS3 and the 360. This doesn't look to change. The Wii has a huge line up this year which will see it through another year on top - from Monster Hunter 3 to Wii Fit plus.

However, I will also add that as a Nintendo fan, and a hardcore one - it's the first time I've ever had to buy anotehr console, as I feel Nintendo has lost it's grip on the core gamer.

For starters the Wii is SO far out in front it wouldn't matter if sales start to slip.

And it won't be until sometime in 2010 that Microsoft and Sony bring out any form of Motion Controller.

Plus it will likely be at quite a price.

And for all the current 360/PS3 owners this price will be additional to the console and will they all want to buy it, given as these consoles are currently being seen as the more 'gamer' ans less 'casual' consoles.

For new buyers, the motion bundles will no doubt be pretty expensive.

So much of this new casual market already owns a Wii now, I can't see them going out and also buying an extra £300 console, they are not the type of market to do that.

Thus until the next console generation when everyone gets a relatively fresh start, I can really only see the 360/PS3 motion controllers selling to their current owners. Sure there will be a spike in hardware sales, but IMO the Wii needn't worry this gen.

Definitely they are starting to lose. With Project Natal, the Wii will lose it's spot as the number one winner. Though, the PS3 will also make a breakthrough, sometime this year.

Project Natel wasn't packaged with every 360 from the start, and so far I've heard of no plans to do so in the future.

Its probably going to cost enough money to buy multiple games at full price so a lot of people aren't going to buy it.

Because of this, it will have a small market so developers aren't going to support it very well unless MS pays them too.

I just don't see Natel giving MS the edge to surpass the Wii in terms of sales. I can see it being big next generation if it is packaged with MS' next console, but I don't see it doing much this generation.

The PS3 could gain some market-share still, but not enough to surpass the Wii.

NIntendo have won this generation. But I guess you're speaking about our opinions on which is the better console from a gamers perspectives...

Well, I can kind of see why the features the PS3 and 360 have excite gemers more than then the "casual" attack from nintendo. But, as a gamer for 26 years, buying everything that comes out, I still think the Wii is the best console out of the three. I NEVER play the 360 and haven't played the PS3 since january. I don't know, technically they're great, I wish the Wii looked like they look and had the features they have... but the games are what it's all about and I prefer Wii games to any others. I prefer the controls by an absolute mile to the others.... simple as that really. And 360's camera looks technically incredible and will house some amazing experiences, but won't be a viable form for controlling games. PS3' looks better for me; but they can't compete with the Wii.

Guest Maase

I was really talking about the "Harcore Gamer" stuff, not the sales.

Its obvious that the Wii will continue to dominate those both together, and I agree specially with Retro_Link's opinion, but I'm really talking about hardcore games and stuff.

Its obvious that the Wii will continue to dominate those both together, and I agree specially with Retro_Link's opinion, but I'm really talking about hardcore games and stuff.

the title in your topic says console war means to others as sales.

In that case, they're not just starting to. They've been losing it since a few months after the console game out when the so called hardcore gamers started ignoring many of the decent games that were coming out for it.

Gah! Seriously?

Why must the Wii always have the shadow of other platforms overtaking it or loosing steam dammit? it is selling more than the other 2 combined on a monthly basis, it's selling more than PS3 in japan again ALREADY, and of course... ALL THIS WITHOUT REDESIGNS; PRICE DROPS; COLORS OR EVEN BUNDLES.

"If" it was to lose steam just throw some of those into the loop and call it a day; like the other platform manufacturers already did MULTIPLE TIMES, this gen.

Plus... the motion controllers? lol, they aren't standard, they're quite early in development and they don't even have a date to launch. More like the PHANTOM MENACE.

Plus I'll give the OP thread something... did you know Nintendo thought at one point to release the Wiimote as a Gamecube add-on? Do you think it would have the same impact? Think of console's as a titanic ship or something; even if Sony and Microsoft are seeing a Iceberg they can't dodge them with a new add-on whose userbase will start from ZERO.

Wii lost and WON'T loose anything. it's by far the winner platform of this gen, and the one who propelled everything the others are doing (and is able to do it just as well and plus... as a standard). Get over it.

PS: Wii motion plus does everything the PS3 add-on does, and as for Natal... what you've seen is proof of concept, they don't have the infraestructure for most of that happening (trying dresses on your Mii... I mean avatar?), plus... don't you feel dumb trying to imagine you're driving without a wheel?

It's like going from Guitar Hero to Air Guitar Hero; it's not always better to have nothing at hand, just like I don't think playing games with my brain waves is the future, as technically advanced as that is.

Button precision and motion sensing precision are very different, plus gyroscopes are very precise in a way I suspect a camera can't surpass. didn't you notice Xbox, a FPS centric console didn't even attempt to have a fps played with that tech? why do you think that is?

Speaking of sucessfull add-ons though... either they become standard (which they won't, for other platforms) or they're just niche products. For instance... eyetoy, singstar and buzz? they sold a lot, but do third party games use them? Or even the Wii Balance Board, how many third party games use it? and how many do so exclusively? yep, that's your answer right there.

Natal and PS3 new add-on controller will launch with a userbase of ZERO units, if anything it's questionable if they'll ever have a real support that isn't a gimmick/remapped controls to the input... let alone games made from the ground for it and only for it. Plus... we've got software maturating right now, a game using the wiimote now is not the same as a game using the wiimote back when it launched... that's a important lesson.

/thread

Edited by pedrocasilva

I'm confused by what the first post is asking. But, it's been a strange generation, this one. We're probably about halfway through the lifecycle for this generation of consoles, yet people are abandoning consoles, "jumping ship", or forking out money to buy new consoles. Suddenly, if games like Pilotwings and Kid Icarus (which were not even released on any console during the last generation of consoles) are not shown in some form, or if games like F Zero are not released, people go into a frenzy.

I always knew Nintendo fans were strange, but this generation has really been something else. I doubt many would be happy with anything that gets shown or released. Pedro is pretty much right in his last post, if the Wii was looked at on it's own merits and it's own games, then it would be seen a lot more favourably.

Whenever I see a thread like this I can't help but think I should stop trying to ignite and inspire peoples intellect and just become a troll. The word "console wars" was coined by games companies back in the 80's early 90's as a means to generate interest in their respective consoles. It's nothing more than a media operation.

The fact that this 'war' and 'winner' argument still applies to something you are meant to gain enjoyment over through your own investment of time and money is a sad reflection on how we materialise our possessions as something far more important than the things in our lives which should mean more.

Bleurgh.

Whenever I see a thread like this I can't help but think I should stop trying to ignite and inspire peoples intellect and just become a troll. The word "console wars" was coined by games companies back in the 80's early 90's as a means to generate interest in their respective consoles. It's nothing more than a media operation.

The fact that this 'war' and 'winner' argument still applies to something you are meant to gain enjoyment over through your own investment of time and money is a sad reflection on how we materialise our possessions as something far more important than the things in our lives which should mean more.

Bleurgh.

QFT. Such a pointless waste of time and effort arguing who's winning the 'war.'

Just enjoy what ever console(s) you have and appreciate each game and console on it's own merit!

Don't think Nintendo can even lose this anymore. Even if (gods forbid) every creative genius over at Tokyo HQ were to die of syfilis and the Mexican flu, and Cammie should take over precidency from Iwata, then still Nintendo will have "won" this gen's battle.

Next gen is far away, with every console being said to have a 10 year lifespan or so. In other words, a prediction or even opinion about that future is as useful as a turnip for a computer screen.

Hell, by then, Skynet will have taken over and T-800's will exterminate us all!

Don't think Nintendo can even lose this anymore. Even if (gods forbid) every creative genius over at Tokyo HQ were to die of syfilis and the Mexican flu, and Cammie should take over precidency from Iwata, then still Nintendo will have "won" this gen's battle.

Next gen is far away, with every console being said to have a 10 year lifespan or so. In other words, a prediction or even opinion about that future is as useful as a turnip for a computer screen.

Hell, by then, Skynet will have taken over and T-800's will exterminate us all!

So the Mario team then?

I'm assuming you meant Kyoto.

My thoughts are, no one knows how this is going to pan out (not even Iwata knows), so speculate all you want, but don't tell me which one is gonna be most sucessful because you don't know.

I'm talking about the motion control devices (Natal, M+ and Sony wand) by the way.

Since we arn't really going to get to a valid conclusion just speculating and knowing fuck all about fuck all, lets look at the facts.

PS3 is the most expensive console in recent history, and with the tech you need to buy to get the full definitive experiance of owning a PS3 with motion controls and a HD TV it's a big investment.

Wii M+ is releasing in a couple of days, by the time the other two motion devices come out M+ will be way ahead of the competition. Thus when devs consider developing 1:1 motion controlled games it's pretty obvious that Wii will be the lead platform. Obviously there will be a few exclusives on the other consoles that MS or Sony will pay for. But the Wii will be the main platform for 1:1 motion control games.

Iwata/Nintendo and everyone else knew that the other two would start supporting motion control games eventualy. All the other two companies have proven is that Nintendo was right. In fact by having all three systems support motion controls, theres a higher probability of more traditional games coming to Wii because theres going to be an even bigger market with all three suporting it.

At the end of the day, we can't predict the future, so who knows how this will end, but one thing is certain and that is Wii is already a massive success so Nintendo have already won.

Now, I still were agreeing with this, because I could use Wii for the original games and PC for the "Gamer Game's"

Unfortunately, seems like suddenly XBOX360 and PS3 are now getting to them, with far better technology, tbh.

Wiimote - Rotation, waggle and precision (also, a sound from the Wiimote)

PS3 thing - Rotation, waggle, precision and great drawing/selecting abilities. (also, a sphere from the controller)

Natal - Complete control of your movements.

So, yeah... who agrees with me?

I knew i'd get anooyed this.. the highlighted points( and I just skimmed through are the problems)

1) they ALWAYS had better technology.. why do you think now is different.. has it helped them beat the wii yet in sales?.. well no

2)ps3 is the way more expensive machine!!!! it's expected to have better technology.. I understand though as of this time the 360 is cheaper than the wii but that's a different story.

3) natal..... You are looking at the videos and saying.. oh cool think of the potential and possibilities....but that's all it is.. There are NO games yet and it's far too late in console lifetime to start talking about this in my opinion.

in other words.. NO they are NOT going to start losing randomly because technology is better on the other systems. Like ever

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!