Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Retro_Link

This is very very good, A lot more imaginative than I thought and actually a lot better looking than I thought videos dont do this justice at all...

Isn't it! I'm starting to think it's actually among the Wii's prettiest titles. All the polish of Galaxy but in 2D! The later worlds look fantastic, loads of little details and effects, and the characters are all superbly animated. I simply can't understand anyone who says this game has no charm or soul.. more likely a reflection of themselves :grin:

I've been playing through the game at a steady pace with my bro in co-op, and we've both loved it - up to world 8 now, with still many coins/secrets to find. Multiplayer adds a whole new dimension, with just enough interesting new mechanics, and was a genius move. It really does feel like the fulfillment of the promise in the NES originals when you had to wait and take turns. Some bits, especially later on, can be extremely awkward with 2 player(god knows what 4P is like!), and using the bubble becomes a necessity - it can become a fraught tactical element in itself.

All the generic expectations for online seem a bit ridiculous now - wouldn't add anything to the game at all really. That is, unless you have no human contact in your life whatsoever!

I wouldn't give it a 10 a la Famitsu, but it's a very solid 9 for me. Even the music and sound effects are excellent. One of Wii's best games. I still can't get over the fact that we're being given 3 core Mario titles on one platform :bouncy:

I played some three player with / nando / and our other mate last night- I was Blueberry Toad or whatever they dubbed him. Tell you what, it wasn't long at all before the dirty tactics started seeping in and we were trying to leg it through the levels as fast as possible to leave each other behind to die... and generally trying to kill each other any way we could manage. :D

I've just arrived at World 8, the first stage on it literally blew my mind! :o

So... Incredibly... Awesome! :awesome:

Also loved the stages on world 7...

Those ones with the water bubbles floating in the air.

Great fun. :hehe:

Beautiful tune on the world 7 map too:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Can see that one getting many a remix down the line.

Well thats odd, just beat all levels and used all warp cannons and done all secret exits and havent got the star for that

Need some help on World 8, Airship boss.

Its the one where:

A giant bomb keeps getting dropped and rolls. I assume you are supposed to wait for it to explode then use the floor rising to jump higher but im having real trouble doing that and the one time I jumped high enough I got hurt.

Butt Slam my friend, at any height of a jump will do it

I f-ing HATE level 9-7. Definitely the hardest in the game, especially if you're trying to get all the star coins.

Yup it is quite challenging. The best bet is to try and get 1 coin at a time, finish the level and try another one. The hardest one for me was the 2nd one because the plants kept melting the pathway while I was getting the coin. What I did was use a fire flower and star from my items and saved the game. I then started the level and then sprinted as far as I could with my star and then once I got to the coin quickly melted the pathway with my own firepower. If I knackd up I just died, quit to title screen and loaded my save back up.

Yup it is quite challenging. The best bet is to try and get 1 coin at a time, finish the level and try another one. The hardest one for me was the 2nd one because the plants kept melting the pathway while I was getting the coin. What I did was use a fire flower and star from my items and saved the game. I then started the level and then sprinted as far as I could with my star and then once I got to the coin quickly melted the pathway with my own firepower. If I knackd up I just died, quit to title screen and loaded my save back up.

Yep looks like doing 1 star at a time for that level is the best way. Finally managed it.

Also got the pop up message when you complete everything :bouncy: So now there's 5 stars on my home screen.

To be honest I was expecting a world 9-9 or SOMETHING extra at the end. You'd think they'd give players a nice bonus for getting all the coins in world 9 for instance.

I did wonder why there was only one white flag on Bowser's castle when you complete the game, I thought maybe doing it a second time once you had every star coin, secret done, would give you an alternate boss or something, but no such luck.

I thought World 9 was pretty disappointing to be honest. Compared to Star Road + the 8 levels after star road in SMW anyway.

Just beat World 8 - what an awesome boss!
Same here! :yay:

Final battle was just unreal... Absolutely incredible! :o:o:o

Exhilarating gameplay and visually stunning too! Great stuff. icon14.gif

Had another quality multiplayer sesh earlier on as well. This has got to be one of, if not the best multiplayer games of all time. Right up there with Mario Kart and Smash Bros. for sure. :bouncy:

Insanely fun. :love:

Miyamoto on the inclusion of Super Guide.

"At first, we had the option to view the Super Guide on the first menu screen. But as I couldn’t bring myself to allow that, we considered a number of solutions and eventually came up with the idea that after losing three turns, a hint block would appear."

http://www.vooks.net/story-18656-Miyamoto-reflects-on-the-Super-Guide.html