NEurope
Dan_Dare

Social Networks on 360

What next, Microsoft abolish the computer and put Word on the 360. And a fully accessible Internet Explorer as well.

Word and IE, then we wouldn't need a computer at all!

...wait a minute...

I was expecting a full blown internet browser.

but then they'd be copying the ps3 and wii... oh wait.

Yeah i thought these were really odd. On PS3(and Wii) we can do a ton more on the browser and the UI didnt look it had any advantages.

Odd. Facebook and Twitter are the only ones I use. Although it's rather pointless for me as I need my PC on (which is connected to the same TV as the 360) to connect to Xbox Live.

Odd. Facebook and Twitter are the only ones I use. Although it's rather pointless for me as I need my PC on (which is connected to the same TV as the 360) to connect to Xbox Live.

Same here. Its a nice touch but I'm not really gonna use the 360 when I got my laptop/PC right near me.

This was surprising but personally irrelevant as I don't use either. I was expecting Sony to announce this sort of thing first, though.

I'm not sure how you could spin this as a bad thing, even if I don't personally care about it.

Similar here...laptop on desk next to where I sit to game, with TweetDeck always on providing me with both twitter feeds and facebook status updates.

I can see the appeal but not for me. Again, I play next to my pc on the same screen.

don't forget though: we are the teched out minority now. This could be great fun for all kinds of folk.

Is there anyone in the world who has an internet connection but no PC?

The only advantage I can see is for people who only have a family/communal computer. Or I suppose you could get updates whilst gaming, but surely that could get annoying when your're trying to do something on a game. I can imagine it now: Trying to beat a particularly epic boss and *Ding* "Englebert Humperdinck is off 2 the pub! LOL!". Count me out.

Although like someone said, it's good to have the option I guess.

They were a bit slow getting this out, no? I don't use twitter and I only use facebook very rarely so it doesn't affect if when they brought it out but I'm sure most of the people who do use the networks would rather use a PC now than 360 but who knows. It doesn't hurt though having it on the 360 I suppose.

For all those saying "well I have a PC anyway" stuff like this is handy when your computer crashes and you need a social networking fix.

And lets face it, Microsoft can't build anything that works ;)

Face-ache and Twatter I'll pass on thanks, just give me Last.FM scrobbling via the 360, that'll at least be semi-useful. ;)

For all those saying "well I have a PC anyway" stuff like this is handy when your computer crashes and you need a social networking fix.

But my Xbox connects to the internet through my PC...

I'M DOOMED!!

It just seems a bit pointless. I can connect to Facebook/twitter through the desktop or either of the laptops in the house. Failing that I can use my iPod touch or my mobile. All of which are much easier to use and more practically positioned.

What am I going to Twitter from my 360?

'I just played a game of Geometry Wars. I died. It was fun. Hur hur huuuuur.'

That's exactly the kind of inanities that run rampant on twitter because people feel the need to report to the world they are cleaning their room or eating a sandwich. Great! You're celebrating just how utter mundane your life is. Well done you. I hate people. /rant

I imagine there'll be the chance to auto-update twitter with your recent achievements and whatnot. Plus I don't think the idea is that you use your xbox primarily to facebook - It'll be more like you'll flick through new photo albums/statuses while waiting for the disc to load. It's just more time-fillery stuff that stops you from picking up yourlaptop to check facebook, only to get distracted for 30 minutes from the xbox.

Well the auto-update is just an awful idea. But then most people's tweets are completely devoid of personality so I guess some/most will lap that up.

How long does it take a disk to load? If you're going to get distracted by something you see on the PC Facebook surely you'll be distracted all the same on the 360?

Actually, I'm not that annoyed by the Facebook idea tbh, although I still think it's a bit of a waste of time. It's the twitter thing. I'm glad they removed it from Uncharted. Good idea on paper but pretty stupid really.

Well the auto-update is just an awful idea. But then most people's tweets are completely devoid of personality so I guess some/most will lap that up.

How long does it take a disk to load? If you're going to get distracted by something you see on the PC Facebook surely you'll be distracted all the same on the 360?

Actually, I'm not that annoyed by the Facebook idea tbh, although I still think it's a bit of a waste of time. It's the twitter thing. I'm glad they removed it from Uncharted. Good idea on paper but pretty stupid really.

If they did do it, i dont think it would be live.

Maybe a daily thing, or once your take the game out.

might be cool for adding friends on xbox live though, I think thats gonna be the main thing.

To be honest, I can get facebook and twitter on my phone and PC, which are both much more friendly means of text based input. Can't really see myself checking my facebook on a HDTV in front of everyone anyway. Am looking forward to last.fm though, will be nice when you've got friends round and you can just play random music or music based on a single band or genre that people feel like, did that once using my phone when playing Catan, and everyone felt like listening to some jazz for some reason.

Yeah, I was tired when i wrote my post and I knew it wasn't coherant. Typically when I'm switching discs, I'll not re-ject (made up word!) the disc tray straight away, instead I'll check sentuamessage, or grab my laptop and refresh myself with facebook/forums. This update just means I'll cut out the laptop a little.

We just need Spotify on it. That'd be amazing. The PS3 has VidZone which is absolutely ace. Spotify would be perfect with custom soundtrack support.