N-Europe

Nintendo: We Can't Satisfy You And You Enjoy It

Daft

Nintendo: We Can't Satisfy You And You Enjoy It

Nintendo can't win, can it? Put out games to expand their audience, and the core gamers are upset. Put out core games, and core gamers want more.

According to Nintendo's Denise Kaigler, the moment that core gamers are satisfied, players will become disinterested in the company. So Nintendo cannot satisfy gamers, and gamers should enjoy not getting what they want. It's a "fun" relationship.

"I will give you that hardcore gamers have an insatiable appetite for everything Nintendo," she said, "and we love that! We love that. When we get to a point where core gamers say, "OK, Nintendo, enough! We don't need any more games from you guys...." None of us wants to be put in that position, right?

"We don't want your appetite to ever be satisfied, because when we satisfy you, it's time for us to go [dusts off hands], "OK! Let's go on home now!" And none of us wants to go home. So there's this sort of fun...relationship, I think, that's happening between Nintendo and the hardcore gamer — which we enjoy and hope that the core gamer enjoys it."

http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/The-Full-Interview-Nintendos-Denise-Kaigler.html

This is a pretty interesting interview. I quoted from Kotaku, but give the whole thing a read.

As I've said before, I bought a Wii primarilly for Nintendo's games, most of which are quality and take a long time to make, inbetween those 'big' releases I'll take what I can get inbetween but there's no point in complaining about it - like a lot of people seem to have been doing for a while now - just enjoy their games for what they are when they are released... :smile:

... or bitch about it if you really want to :heh: I even admit to having complained a few times but personally I cba anymore, Nintendo will never change and as 'core' fans we should know this, recognise it and just enjoy what we can when it comes along, at least there are a few decent third party titles to enjoy inbetween as well as VC / Wiiware releases. : peace:

Nice find on the article btw Daft, certainly an interesting read. :)

Yeah, you're dead on there. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. :heh:

Her avoidance of OnLive was expected but it'd be interesting to know what Nintendo are thinking of cloud gaming. Although OnLive won't take off for years, that system will eventually be a viable option.

Also, I think the iPod is a real big contender. The fact that it upgrades yearly, is a lot more accessible, has much cheaper games (some free) and is a convergent device is something that is a lot more attractive than a gaming focused device. Yes, people will say there is no comparison with the types of games but it only takes about £100 to start developing a game for the iPod Touch and iPhone and when it comes down to it, if you're not really a gamer and you've got an iPod/iPhone, why fork out for another gaming device when the one you've got is fine for those tube or bus journeys?

Haha. There are some hilarious statements in there, which are bound to raise the hackles of some humourless drones.

It's interesting to see her confirm the dissatisfaction of Nintendo fans in the first place, but reacting to it by saying they love it and implying that this is their aim; it's priceless!

wtf are they talking about?!

Anyways, I think the problem is, and why people are complaining...

Where as in the past we would get a steady stream of Nintendo franchise released across the year, now in a sense we are still getting that, except every 2nd release is now a Nintendo 'casual' franchise title, so the fans are feeling cheated.

Would also be nice if we actually heard about/saw something from some of our beloved franchises other than bloody mario and zelda!

"The Mario and Zelda teams are working on new titles in the series, we've told you that... that's what we've said"

Who cares! where are the other franchises? The Wii has had a Mario and Zelda!

I have to disagree with Denise Kaigler, as this generation does feel very different to previous ones to me. I'm too busy to want more games anyway, so I've no complaint about the quantity, but I can't deny it feels different. Owning the GameCube, there was always something to be really excited about. With the Wii, all their truly AAA games were announced at least by E3 2006. They've made some good games since, I don't deny, but they haven't started a 2nd wave of real excitement yet.

Also, I'm not trolling, but I can't agree the Wii has had a Zelda game yet. I can understand how it seems like it has if you're new to Nintendo with the Wii though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they haven't ruined too many games by releasing them before MotionPlus. I'm just saying, I was in no way unsatisfied with the GameCube, nor the N64 once it had got going. Fans aren't always insatiable, yet Nintendo have twice claimed they are.

I have to disagree with Denise Kaigler, as this generation does feel very different to previous ones to me. I'm too busy to want more games anyway, so I've no complaint about the quantity, but I can't deny it feels different. Owning the GameCube, there was always something to be really excited about. With the Wii, all their truly AAA games were announced at least by E3 2006. They've made some good games since, I don't deny, but they haven't started a 2nd wave of real excitement yet.

Also, I'm not trolling, but I can't agree the Wii has had a Zelda game yet. I can understand how it seems like it has if you're new to Nintendo with the Wii though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they haven't ruined too many games by releasing them before MotionPlus. I'm just saying, I was in no way unsatisfied with the GameCube, nor the N64 once it had got going. Fans aren't always insatiable, yet Nintendo have twice claimed they are.

Great post. Pretty much sums up how I feel also.

When it comes to games I always want more. I usually blitz my games having many hour sessions, especially on the weekends where I play non-stop :) This being the case im always after the next game, only got myself to blame for this, im usually kept busy though as I own multiple consoles.

Back when I was younger I could only afford a few games here and there so I played the hell out of them, but now im older and have my own income I can have a taste of alot of games. Thats not to say that once I finish a game im done with it, I love to find all the secrets/unlockables etc in a game which is why I love the gamerscore idea :)

Another factor is the internet. Before we had the internet we only had gaming magazines for our news and that was once a month. Now we can get access to games news everyday, showing us new screens, features, details etc. This tends to get us hyped up way too early and we forget about the games we already have or that are on the shop floor.

I've never really thought of the second wave of games not coming because they're waiting for M+. But that would make sense. I also think it may be partially because most Nintendo teams released something in late 2006 to early 2008. If nintendo games take about 2 years to develop, we should only just now be hearing about new games being revealed from Nintendo's Teams.

I don't think they are waiting on motion plus. I think that'll start off slow anyway and after gradual support all developers will join in. Like how those bongos DK bongos worked out :awesome:

Do miss Konga a bit though.

Yeah, you're dead on there. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. :heh:

Her avoidance of OnLive was expected but it'd be interesting to know what Nintendo are thinking of cloud gaming. Although OnLive won't take off for years, that system will eventually be a viable option.

Also, I think the iPod is a real big contender. The fact that it upgrades yearly, is a lot more accessible, has much cheaper games (some free) and is a convergent device is something that is a lot more attractive than a gaming focused device. Yes, people will say there is no comparison with the types of games but it only takes about £100 to start developing a game for the iPod Touch and iPhone and when it comes down to it, if you're not really a gamer and you've got an iPod/iPhone, why fork out for another gaming device when the one you've got is fine for those tube or bus journeys?

I didn't expect her to say anything about Onlive. I'm sure Nintendo will be working on something similar very very soon.

Hmmm, I don't know. Sure, she's funny and makes lots of witty remarkt, but in the end, she doesn't tell anything beside the usual PR-drone talk. very clever at evading the critical questions, too. See how she turned the question if Nintendo can make new IP's for hardcore fans around? I think that 'Nintendo-fans like not being given what we want' a strange statement. In that regard, we'd all be Sony of Microsoft-fans. It's true enough you can't satify everyone, but sure a few new, more substantional IP's wouldn't hurt?

Still, it's better than the usual "Check the Nintendo channel for new updates and surprises!"

She played Wii Music and enjoyed it? Mindboggling! :eek:

Edited by Strange Cookie

I didn't expect her to say anything about Onlive. I'm sure Nintendo will be working on something similar very very soon.

I'm not so sure very very soon will be the case. Something like OnLive doesn't really seem like the Nintendo thing to do. I'd imagine the'd shrug it of more so than they do HD.

Hmmm, I don't know. Sure, she's funny and makes lots of witty remarkt, but in the end, she doesn't tell anything beside the usual PR-drone talk. very clever at evading the critical questions, too. See how she turned the question if Nintendo can make new IP's for hardcore fans around? I think that 'Nintendo-fans like not being given what we want' a strange statement. In that regard, we'd all be Sony of Microsoft-fans. It's true enough you can't satify everyone, but sure a few new, more substantional IP's wouldn't hurt?

Still, it's better than the usual "Check the Nintendo channel for new updates and surprises!"

She played Wii Music and enjoyed it? Mindboggling! :eek:

I think she's mistaking 'love' for 'Stockholm Syndrome'. :heh:

wtf are they talking about?!

Anyways, I think the problem is, and why people are complaining...

Where as in the past we would get a steady stream of Nintendo franchise released across the year, now in a sense we are still getting that, except every 2nd release is now a Nintendo 'casual' franchise title, so the fans are feeling cheated.

Would also be nice if we actually heard about/saw something from some of our beloved franchises other than bloody mario and zelda!

"The Mario and Zelda teams are working on new titles in the series, we've told you that... that's what we've said"

Who cares! where are the other franchises? The Wii has had a Mario and Zelda!

Damn right! Where's CAPTAIN DOUGLAS JAY FALCON and FOX McCLOUD ???

fox_070611c-l.jpg

Thing is with this gen is that unlike the last generation, where the GC (despite a lack of 3rd party software) had great hardware and some of the best games of that generation, the Wii has FAR fewer great games than the 360 and PS3. I mean, just look at the catalogue the 360 has put together, it's far better than what the PS2 and Xbox ever managed. Unfortunately, while in the past we would be willing to wait for the next Nintendo game (after MONTHS of nothing), it's difficult to do that now when this year already games like SFIV and RE5 have been released.

Thing is with this gen is that unlike the last generation, where the GC (despite a lack of 3rd party software) had great hardware and some of the best games of that generation, the Wii has FAR fewer great games than the 360 and PS3. I mean, just look at the catalogue the 360 has put together, it's far better than what the PS2 and Xbox ever managed. Unfortunately, while in the past we would be willing to wait for the next Nintendo game (after MONTHS of nothing), it's difficult to do that now when this year already games like SFIV and RE5 have been released.

Teh lol. You can't be serious.

Teh lol. You can't be serious.

Well looking at the Xbox the only games I remember playing on it that really sold it to me were Halo 2, Chronicles of Riddick and PGR. I dunno, it just seemed like a beefed up GC to me with worse titles.

Now I think about it the PS2 had more games than I thought that were fucking awesome (completely forgot about Max Payne, Ico/SoC) but it got the library over a period of what 6 years or so? The way the 360 is going, it's getting a lot of strong software very quickly.

If i remember correctly, doesn't the 360 have over 120 games that are rated over 80% or above on metacritic, whereas the Wii only has around 40+. That's the problem right there, and most of the blame has to go to 3rd parties really.

The people complaining are trolls, not hardcore gamers. No hardcore gamer wants a Mario and Zelda every year.

No. But we expect/hope to sometime this generation receive:

F-Zero

Starfox

Zelda

Excitebike

Waverace

Earthbound

Kid Icarus

Pilotwings

Donkey Kong

New "core" IP

Nintendo need to get their act together.

Edited by darkjak

Nintendo don't need to get their act together. They've already released their biggest IPs faster than they have on any other console. But games take a while to develop, most Nintendo games take about 2-3 years to develop, and since just about every team released something in 2007 or early 2008, we're probably just going to be starting to see the second wave coming this E3. There was a gap, thats what happens when everything comes out within a year and a half.