NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

Is enterprise worth watching? I used to be a huge trek fan but just stopped caring! DS9 is my fav series by a long way!

Its hard to say really. I can watch and enjoy it but some people absolutely hate it. Maybe just try the pilot episode and see what you think.

That Homecoming? If so its a pretty good read but is the first of a two parter.

Yeah only bought the first one so far, apparently there's a better three parter that comes later on.

None of them are canon though. We dont really get canon trek books. Closest would be the season 8 DS9 ones and even those arent really.

Is enterprise worth watching? I used to be a huge trek fan but just stopped caring! DS9 is my fav series by a long way!

Enterprise is a show which grows as it goes on. It has bad points, and when they're bad, they're bad...but it's definitely an enjoyable show

If you like DS9, it means you're smart, patient and are able to invest time into the emotional depth of the characters and the branching and intelligent storylines.

So no, you won't like Enterprise.

New signings on the next film.

Benedict Cumberbatch, Noel Clarke, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.

Cumberbatch will apparently play the villain, while Noal Clarke is a "family man with a wife and young daughter".

I don't get Noel Clarke, sure I've only seen him in Doctor Who (I know he has his range of acclaimed films)... but I swear he can't act.

If Benedict Cumberbatch is the main villain I will jizz everywhere.

tumblr_lxceu6hvxM1qdykh7o1_250.gif

yeah i'm with Retro on this, Noel Clarke just seems off,he does very similar roles. I'd say he was typecast but considering the 'ulthood films where his own... who knows maybe this is him breaking free of the comfort zone

as per previous discussion

*sharp intake of breath*

*arms flame shield*

I personally rank the trek series as ;

1. TOS

2 Enterprise

3 TNG

4 DS9

5 Voyager

I should explain, I prefer Enterprise generally and would happily watch it if i found it on TV, I think its very close in overall quality to TNG because like enterprise when it was good it was very good, when it was bad it was shocking. I think people get that nostalgia vision and think cos it revived trek it was allowed a free pass as it was finding its feet, something they won't accept Enterprise was allowed to do.

Both Ent and TNG had a select few they would develop the characters of and for them both it worked. My main reason for ranking TNG lower was the sense that Enterprise was invincible, if they got in a space battle they'd take little to no damage and if they did it was repaired in next to no time, yet for all of this they often had trouble disabling or destroying anything which was blatantly plot driven. With Enterprise the ship and atmosphere really fitted the time period and it didn't feel like enterprise was some big hulking invincible Goliath, if they got into a fight people died the ship was screwed and for the most part repairs were not instantaneous or a realistic time was discussed when saying repairs were done.

DS9 was very good generally but i just hated Bajorans i found every one except Kira so annoying and pointless, yet they spent 50% of DS9 doing stories about them. If i liked them i'd probably bump DS9 to first as it had the least bad episodes, generally the best character development and some amazing story arcs, and it lost the TNG's faults regarding invincibility but using pea shooters i listed above, or at least as it was a station you'd expect huge stock piles of parts and teams of crew able to repair it easily enough, then the introduction of the defiant was awesome.

Voyager was appalling and i'm not assumed to say i only watched it with a friend and put up with it due to the eye candy of 7 of 9, charaters were so boring and had little development, only a few like the Doctor and 7 proved interesting, the rest i just couldn't form an attachment with. Unlike TNG the ship was not invincible but it was shafted six ways from sunday by everything around yet somehow repaired frequently in record time, unless the plot required it somehow have the lazy shift of engineering staff on and it took a year and a day.

Enterprise tried to improved on what TNG and DS9 did in its approach to character development or did in some respects (voyager flew the concept out of the window for some reason) TNG focused on the core bridge crews development, DS9 went further and Enterprise took a sideways step and developed selected characters, the ones it did develop were great but it left some by the wayside, it was trying to emulate what other shows did at the time and concentrate on the popular characters.

Loved the original theme to it too, why fans were in uproar about no dramatic orchestral theme i don't know it was a nice change, the production team should have kept it because the new arrangement they replaced it with was terrible

Always an unpopular view mine, but its just the way i feel on the series.

I've been watching Enterprise on sky lately and have got really nostalgic and sad for it being gone. The latter series were some of the best trek episodes in general, i think people missed out in turning off so quickly, fickle sci-fi fans effectively killed off the franchise when they jumped ship and nobody learned as the same happened to Stargate when they tried some newer ideas.

Wish they'd do a new Trek series, i'd love them to continue Enterprise (and retcon its last episode dear god that was terrible)

Wish they'd do a new Trek series, i'd love them to continue Enterprise (and retcon its last episode dear god that was terrible)

There was a book that retconed it called "The Good of Men Do." The events in the episode were pushed back to just after the series (as the writers of the episode completely forgot about the Romulan War), and Trip's death was in order for him to join a secret organisation.

Its a shame that Enterprise ended just as they were starting to find their footing with season 4 but Id still rank pretty much all the other shows over it. Maybe not TOS these days but thats because I find it harder to watch the campy stuff than when I was younger.

Just thought id check if anyone else was planning on starting a character on Star Trek Online now that as of today (17/01....gett it????) its gone free to play. I started mine earlier and im quite enjoying it so far. Be nice if any other trek fans from here were to join up so we could have our own NE fleet :p

I've signed up and started downloading... well I say started, it's still at 0kb a second at the moment...

Edit: It's started now, and has peaked at 24kb. Maybe I've been spoiled by Blizzards 400+ :(

Edited by somme

I think its because of all the people downloading because of the change to F2P. Mine started at my top download speed yesterday morning but dropped after about an hour to around 50kb. Took me a while to download it all.

Agent Gibbs, I would quote you but sure 'twas a long post and it be a wee mite tough to edit on an iPad when your fingers are like big sexy bananas.

Anyway, I respect your position, but I take issue with your comments on Bajorans.

I think they were awesome, why? Because Trek never seemed to have any true spirituality to it, the Klingon religion was portrayed as savage and tribal, the Bajorans were a rich and culturally diverse race with a deep sense of their religion. They were not so two-dimensional as other races, and DS9 was the first of the modern series that gave us a real sense of continuity - not just with place, but characters as well. There was development in every single character throughout the series, everyone ended up a little older, a little wiser and a lot more damaged than they started. I felt the end was rushed, but it was still good closure. Compare that to the TNG and Voyager endings, and it was practically Shakespeare. At least, unlike TNG, it made some attempt to be sensible to the reality of the situation they had arrived at.

Plus: Kai Winn.

All the mostly-human "Monster of the Week" type characters were generally idealists that had gone wrong. Winn was the first truly fleshed out evil character that craved power for its own sake. She wanted the power so she could be powerful, not the she had made some error of moral judgement.

I wasnt a big fan of the Bajorans but that was mainly my own dislike of religion and not because they werent good characters (except for Kira, I got bored pretty quickly in those early seasons of the constant reminders that she grew up fighting the Cardassians). Id love to have seen what the show would have been like if Ro Laren had been on it as originally planned as well.

As for Kai Winn, pure evil! She is easily one of the best villains in all of Trek just everytime she opened her mouth you wanted to ring her neck. Dukat as well was another brilliant one. Infact DS9 had some brilliant ones, Weyoun as well was a great bad guy.

I think my stance is along the lines of @Happenstance,

I think Kai Winn was my main reason to dislike Bajorans! she effectivly tarred them all with the same brush for me

@Iun which ending? the DS9 one or Enterprise? i suppose it matters not the point of TNG and Voyager endings being terrible still stands.

Really hope the rumours last year of a new trek series taking place after voyager aren't true, because they just ruined so much with that! that armour should have been a 1 time only deal or just never even used.

Really hope the rumours last year of a new trek series taking place after voyager aren't true, because they just ruined so much with that! that armour should have been a 1 time only deal or just never even used.

What's wrong with the armour?

TNG didnt have a terrible ending. Its thought of as one of the best along with DS9s

EDIT: Also, as much as I would like there to be another series set in the real Trek universe after Voyager I cant see it happening. If there is another series I expect it will be in the alternate movie universe.

I hated the Bajorans, so dull. And Trek had plenty of spirituality before them. It was just wasn't as in your face every episode.

What's wrong with the armour?

it was basically invincibility for the federation, which means any series which follows will be purely exploration based with little to no star ship battles

or

they'd suddenly shoe horn in a new big bad enemy

or

some random fault would develop with the armour every time they wanted a prolonged star ship battle

i mean how much fun could it be if nothing could hurt them?

now a series in the alternate universe i like the idea of!