NEurope
Daft

Star Trek Masturbatathon

Saw this again on Friday. Noticed some more little things (Spock/Uhura was hinted at a few times). Still great fun, although it did put me off watching films in a cinema. The sound was good quality, but the screen was terrible (scratches and marks on the screen - including a massive one right in the middle - as well as ****loads of screen tearing) and the seats were uncomfortable. Plus it's mega expensive.

I think Spock/Uhura was more than hinted at :p

I mean earlier on in the film.

Saw this again on Friday. Noticed some more little things (Spock/Uhura was hinted at a few times). Still great fun, although it did put me off watching films in a cinema. The sound was good quality, but the screen was terrible (scratches and marks on the screen - including a massive one right in the middle - as well as ****loads of screen tearing) and the seats were uncomfortable. Plus it's mega expensive.

lol, shit cinema!

umm, go to a good one.

Still not seen this. Jayseven! where are j00?

lol, shit cinema!

umm, go to a good one.

Yea, I'll definitely avoid Cineworld Stockport from now on. I was mainly disappointed because the one at Llandudno Junction is awesome. I've also heard nothing but good things about the revamped Scala in Prestatyn (it was closed down in 1999....re-opened this year).

Star Trek

So I've never seen Star Trek before, like ever. Saw the film today after hearing how accessible it was. Those people weren't wrong.

I enjoyed the film but it was somewhat predictable. I became familiar with all the characters and the storyline and technologies really quickly and enjoyed the film but for some reason left somewhat disappointed. I blame me, not the film. I'm impressed it managed to draw me in to the cinema to see it let alone leave me satisfied enough to see a sequel if it's made.

7/10.

Just saw this film a couple of days ago, it was really awesome but I felt it was really let down by the way those two characters found one another on that planet. I mean, what were the chances? Was this a sly nod towards the way people in the original series would always land within walking distance of important places on giant planets? Not a good joke, as it just leaves a gaping plot hole.

Got to see this on a seriously HEEUUG screen which was almost empty (in fact, it was empty when we went in and chose the best seats we could, that was quite weird and cool).

Just saw this film a couple of days ago, it was really awesome but I felt it was really let down by the way those two characters found one another on that planet. I mean, what were the chances? Was this a sly nod towards the way people in the original series would always land within walking distance of important places on giant planets? Not a good joke, as it just leaves a gaping plot hole.

Got to see this on a seriously HEEUUG screen which was almost empty (in fact, it was empty when we went in and chose the best seats we could, that was quite weird and cool).

Apparently they wanted it to seem like destiny was kind of course correcting to help Spock and Kirk become the friends they needed to be.

The writers have said that they did have a scene in there which talked more about destiny which was taken out and they now regret that so it may be put back in for the dvd release.

I was wondering about that too. That makes a little more sense now. Cheers :D

J.J. Abrams talked a bit about Star Trek 12 and it seems he considers well known villans.

"[Khan and Kirk] exist — and while their history may not be exactly as people are familiar with, I would argue that a person's character is what it is," said Abrams, explaining that new-Khan could be as bad as old-Khan despite disimilar backstories. "Certain people are destined to cross paths and come together, and Khan is out there ... even if he doesn't have the same issues."

Source

I must say I'm still unhappy about the whole new timeline thing. It feels a bit like they are pissing on everything Gene Roddenberry created. Sure some things needed updating but it still feels as if they are claiming that the last 40 years of Star Trek are obsolete now.

Surely everyone expected a reboot/alternate universe anyway? I was surprised it wasn't purely that.

At least this way it means that everything that happened in the real Trek universe has still happened instead of just wiping the slate clean, they just made a new slate to sit next to the original.

Although I dont really want to see Khan in any of these new movies, he isnt needed. His story was told very well and doesnt need a retelling. I dont mind others that may have just scratched the surface on TOS but Khan had a good episode and IMO the best trek movie.

I noticed there wasn't a single Klingon in this movie; did they not feature a great deal in the original series, and introduced much more in ST:TNG what with Worf being in the crew and everything?

I noticed there wasn't a single Klingon in this movie; did they not feature a great deal in the original series, and introduced much more in ST:TNG what with Worf being in the crew and everything.

You saw their ships during the Kobayshi Maru test and Uhura mentioned all their destroyed ships aswell.

There was supposed to be a scene where Nero and his crew are captured and held for 25 years by the Klingons before breaking free and getting their ship back, this explains where they went for the big gap in time. Theres even a clip of Nero hitting two Klingon guards in the first trailer, although its very quick.

You saw their ships during the Kobayshi Maru test and Uhura mentioned all their destroyed ships aswell.

There was supposed to be a scene where Nero and his crew are captured and held for 25 years by the Klingons before breaking free and getting their ship back, this explains where they went for the big gap in time. Theres even a clip of Nero hitting two Klingon guards in the first trailer, although its very quick.

Ah yeah very true, forgot about the intercepted/decripted Klingon message.

Ah ok, cheers!

J.J. Abrams talked a bit about Star Trek 12 and it seems he considers well known villans.

Source

I must say I'm still unhappy about the whole new timeline thing. It feels a bit like they are pissing on everything Gene Roddenberry created. Sure some things needed updating but it still feels as if they are claiming that the last 40 years of Star Trek are obsolete now.

Here's what Gene [Roddenberry] said in an interview just before he died in August 1991; somebody had asked him, 'What's going to become of Star Trek in the future?' And he said that he hoped that some day some bright young thing would come along and do it again, bigger and better than he had ever done it. And he wished them well.

Richard Arnold, Roddenberry's assistant

If you can't trust wikipedia, who you gonna trust?

Saw this today, a little late in the day but I had exams :) I absolutely loved it, I thought it did a huge number of things very well, especially little nods to the previous series and in-jokes that only fans would understand (I jizzed my pants a little when Scotty screamed "I'm givin' it everythin' she got, cap'n!" near the end). The acting was great throughout, but I too am slightly disappointed that the whole situation is different now. It means that all the original series won't happen basically because history has been changed. I'm sure you can say major events are destined to happen so they always will, but smaller things are forever changed.

Also I'm not sure how despite all this happening a time paradox didn't occur? How did Spock come back in time and have memories of Kirk's father being proud when he became captain if in the future that doesn't occur? I can't really explain it well, but the spock from the future would be altered as soon as the past was changed. So by going back he automatically changed something, which means that when the same instant occurs in Sylar/Spocks future he could choose not to go back, and therefore the past would be changed again back to the original, and so on forever...

Or am I just not thinking of this right? Time travel is so confusing! Are they basically just saying "This is a parallel universe" and if so, how is it a parallel universe? Why is it not the same universe but back in time? AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Still, regardless of this the film was a fantastic effort, a great update for fans like me, and it made me want to go back and watch the terrible-and-therefore-awesome orginal series again from the start! 10/10

Saw this today, a little late in the day but I had exams :) I absolutely loved it, I thought it did a huge number of things very well, especially little nods to the previous series and in-jokes that only fans would understand (I jizzed my pants a little when Scotty screamed "I'm givin' it everythin' she got, cap'n!" near the end). The acting was great throughout, but I too am slightly disappointed that the whole situation is different now. It means that all the original series won't happen basically because history has been changed. I'm sure you can say major events are destined to happen so they always will, but smaller things are forever changed.

Also I'm not sure how despite all this happening a time paradox didn't occur? How did Spock come back in time and have memories of Kirk's father being proud when he became captain if in the future that doesn't occur? I can't really explain it well, but the spock from the future would be altered as soon as the past was changed. So by going back he automatically changed something, which means that when the same instant occurs in Sylar/Spocks future he could choose not to go back, and therefore the past would be changed again back to the original, and so on forever...

Or am I just not thinking of this right? Time travel is so confusing! Are they basically just saying "This is a parallel universe" and if so, how is it a parallel universe? Why is it not the same universe but back in time? AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Still, regardless of this the film was a fantastic effort, a great update for fans like me, and it made me want to go back and watch the terrible-and-therefore-awesome orginal series again from the start! 10/10

The Original Series has still happened and there is no time paradox because the time change didnt wipe anything, it created an alternate reality so all of trek that has come before this is still there

Self confessed Trekkie - MUCH more happy to admit that now than before - and Absolutely loved this film. Saw it on the day it came out, and am now trying to convince a friend of mine that she must see it. Seeing as we are getting membership thingies for a cinema, this should be made all the easier. I NEED TO SEE THIS AGAIN and definitely will buy it on blu ray when it comes out. Best thing since TDK.

3^2+1/10

For any Trek fans on the forum, heres some details on the Trek series Bryan Singer wanted to make:

A bunch of new details have come to light concerning that failed Bryan Singer Star Trek series pitch. Titled Star Trek: Federation, it would have featured a new character, one with the very familiar name ... of Kirk.

The proposed Star Trek series would have taken place in the year 3000, with the adventures of an all-new Starship Enterprise—the first in over 300 years—with a character named Alexander Kirk. (No word on whether this Kirk would have been a descendant of our very own Captain James T. Kirk, but it's really not so subtle, don't you think?)

The 25-page long series proposal—which was never actually pitched—was written by Geoffrey Thorne (Leverage) based on a story idea by Bryan Singer, screenwriter Ralph McQuarrie (The Usual Suspect) and director Robert Meyer Burnett (Free Enterprise). The plan was basically to turn the Star Trek universe upside down and shake it up, with the return of complex serialized storytelling as opposed to standalone episodes.

Below are the key changes Trek Movie reports Singer would have brought to the Star Trek Universe we know and love, setting it roughly 600 years after Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Enterprise-E and his crew explored the galaxy—while keeping up with the continuity and returning to the early concept of exploring space.

Earth's Humans have become "fat and happy" but this has led to complacency where humans are "giving up exploration for incremental colonization and focusing more on the rightness of their own cultural view over all others"

Many younger members of the UFP have left, eschewing this "human-centric" Federation

Vulcans have been disengaging from the Federation and have reunified with the Romulans, spending most of the last 3 centuries focused on creating a new "joined society" overseen by two "quasi-religious clerics who rule according to logic and what is best for their unified peoples, combining Romulan Machiavellian politics with Vulcan logic.

Bajorans have withdrawn from the Federation to become insular in order to focus on their religion and communing with the Prophets. Bajor is now "like a planet sized Tibet", handing over all temporal concerns to the Ferengi

The Klingons have undergone a "massive reformation" moving away from their Viking-like brawling to become a "civilization of warrior mystics" akin to the Tang Dynasty), now flying "sleek" and "serene" ships and while they maintain diplomacy with the Federation they have returned to expanding the Empire via conquest

The Cardassians have transformed into a "society of artists and philosophers" who now "walk the path" and are now dedicated to a philosophy with "the view of the galaxy as a place created solely to test the faithful."

The Ferengi are no longer a "joke" but have become "quite powerful". Equality for females (including a female Nagus) is "the only concession they have made to progress" and with "the Greater Federation's cashless society as a restriction, the Ferengi Alliance is now able to shine in its full capitalist glory." The Ferengi are also making big bucks marketing the Bajoran religion around the galaxy, including pilgrimages to the Bajoran Wormhole.

Starfleet has been reduced to a "mere peace-keeping force" protecting fringe worlds from aliens and from fighting each other, with starships are old and spread out too thin.

Star Trek: Federation would have also featured a brand-new, powerful and totally ruthless alien menace (seriously, aren't they always?) called "The Scourge" and would have featured an "incident" involving a Federation ship, the USS Sojourn, which would have jump-start the proposed series.

Lieutenant Commander Alexander Kirk is the only survivor of the "Sojourner Incident," as it's come to be known in the press. And he has no clear memory of the events themselves. Attempts to "help" him remember cause him to become irrational and violent. All he has is images of carnage and death and a hidden malevolent presence lurking behind it all. When called before his superiors, he paints a picture of the enemy that is scarcely believed and which, if true, might tip the already fracturing Federation Alliance into true collapse.

We know that Bryan Singer is a huge fan of Star Trek, and we believe he would have treated the franchise with love and respect. However, we're not sure that depicting the Federation as on the verge of collapse, when Star Trek is all about human achievement and about the best of humanity, was a wise choice. However, our curiosity was tickled with ''The Scourge,'' and wonder how these aliens would have played out.

http://blastr.com/2011/04/more-details-emerge-on-br.php

Yeah, not really liking the idea of the Federation being up shit creak. And the Ferengi? Yuck.

Also, where are my Borg?

Well considering the way they seemed to want to take it, having the Borg as a prominent race wouldnt make sense. I would have expected them to come up in the show at some point though. Would have been interesting actually, seeing them 600 years more advanced.

Im not entirely sure about the state of affairs thats been laid out there but I would have liked another show in the future. Plus no matter how far into the future they set it, they even could have brought back Sisko to help link it to past trek.