NEurope
Karl619

Inspirational Landscapes in Videogames

Yo'all! I am doing a Geography module called "inspirational landscapes" and for my essay I'm looking at landscapes represented in videogames, what makes them inspirational etc...the importance of Geography and landscapes in videogames ( i.e use of maps, GIS, the programming of videogames is often very Geographically based) and so I wondered what people who know more about games than me think about this?

What are your favourite landscapes in videogames? Why? Is landscape important in videogames? Do you think landscape is an important feature in other digital mediums? Any comments would be appreciated. Also do you mind if I include some of them into my project, they will remain anomynous of course!

Thanks!:grin:

good thread!

i gotta mention the landscape to fallout 3. the first time you step out the vault and see the world, thats pretty much the most awsome moment ever, outher then seeing downtown dc in ruins.

the zelda serise is full of great landscapes. so much so that they are as much a part of the serise as link himself.

little big plannet is a good point to disscuss. with every single designer making something unique, there are thousands of landscapes to see, each one unique

Yeah SOTC is particularly notable because it really is just you, the horse and the environment for a lot of the game. Ninja Gaiden was cool because the whole thing came back on itself. The Prime series, especially number one, some beautiful sights in there. Wind Waker, just gorgeous. ICO, pretty much for the same reason as SOTC. Elder Scrolls, particularly Oblivion, the scale is just breathtaking. And ofcourse Ocarina of time, but i'm sure a lot of that is nostalgia now.

Okami is nice. But that's cartoony graphics so probably not what you're looking for.

FF series have some nice landscapes.

I'm not sure I'd quantify many of the landscapes used in games as inspirational. Many have come along and make you go 'Wow!' but that's not really inspirational. Having a landscape that draws you deep into the story, its meaning and the subplots of a game is something I'd call inspirational. I think the game that has done this for me the most is Baten Kaitos. Now, while the game uses pre-rendered backdrops, they are presented in such an outlandish fashion that you not only go 'Wow!' but you're drawn into them. They inspire you to search around, to see more of the game and to join in the story, which is also aided by the fact that you are the guardian spirit of the main character.

Others have mentioned other games though that would meet these stipulations. The Zelda titles are fantastic at providing large scale environments, at least large in a Nintendo sense not in a Bethesda sense, that draw you into the game and inspire you to go on. Bethesda, as already mention, do this also with the likes of Oblivion and Fallout 3 and the Retro Studio guys managed to do it with the Metroid Prime series. Other games such as Okami pull you in with a particular art style that may initially seem like a gimmick but proves to be much more than that.

The Prime series is especially good, as it Wind Waker. I'll try and think of more later...

What certification is this essay for? It strikes me as being rather un-geographic...

Love the landscape in Tetris.

Seriously though, not sure if this is what you're looking for, Crackdown looks amazing with it's day and night cycle. The lighting is really good and the cloud has some weird random generation tech behind it.

Also, Uncharted. The bit with the Nazi submarine in the beginning where you can see the whole jungle looks pretty amazing.

Love the landscape in Tetris.

Backgrounds have more going on compared to Wind Waker. :blank:

I thought someone else would get the Ocarina/Twilight Princess landscapes already, but some of them are pretty. Especially at sunset/sunrise.

Doshin the Giant? you could basically create your own landscape in that and destroy it of course. :heh:

As for actual pre-made landscapes though, Termina Field in Majora's Mask is awesome, there isn't really another landscape quite like it.

I've always thought that the world created in the first Pikmin game was marvelous, although I'm not sure how many would agree with me. I think Miyamoto based it on his back garden or something close to that.

It's amazing, it really does feel alive. The colours are vibrant, it feels large and expansive, and the animal life that exists geniunally do make it feel like it is another totally different world, but perhaps not all that different from ours.

Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and the Metroid Prime series spring to mind.

Skies of Arcadia too, if floating continents are your thing. The view from the towns and cities is usually good.

EDIT: Ah yes, Pikmin, where everything is zoomed in, might be interesting too.

Edited by Jonnas

Skies of Arcadia too, if floating continents are your thing. The view from the towns and cities is usually good.

Baten Kaitos has some splendid looking pre-rendered landscapes.

As mentioned, the Metroid Prime series is full of fantastic locales - though the sequels fail to top the first.

One thing I always felt it managed to do was to convey the world in a way that made it seem bigger than it actually was. It was all the little, incidental things that just helped to create a believable world that you could easily imagine stretching beyond the boundaries that confine you.

Zelda, particularly MM, had some truly memorable places. That point I just mentioned about the world ending past the furthest point could be leveled at most Zelda games in a sense, but I'd argue that only MM made it feel intentional. The Great Bay area with it's vast ocean sprawling out in front of your feet with hardly a life form in it is something to behold time and again.

Now I'm sure someone is going to give me strange looks for this, but there was something about the environments in Sonic Unleashed that really sucked me in - I'm taking the HD version here folks. Again, I think it comes back to the point about the world seeming bigger than it actually is.

There's a point in the Snow based (Holaska) level whereby you are running along the water at a phenomenal speed and you can see all these things whizzing past you. At this point, all walls disappear and it creates the illusion of a massive world, you know deep down it isn't and that your path is quite restricted - but just for a second or two, it's easy to believe it isn't.

And I picked out that level because that single moment is my favourite part in all the game and if you're going fast enough the part of the music that's playing just helps with the sense even more - other levels also do it.

And that's the point for me, it's about the world being more than what you can see on the screen -it's about what the world lets you imagine it to be.

Eternal Sonata is one that definitely has to be mentioned. Beautiful scenery in that game.

I can remember OOT's areas well. Everybody's Golf on the PS3.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Fantastic looking game overall.

7077635aaa.jpg

screenshot1.jpg

Sacrifice gets my vote it basically made you feel like you were in a completely different universe. The music helped to but the geography was the main thing in my opinion.

The rolling hills and valleys also added to the game simply because high ground actually mattered for viewing purposes. Came out at the same time as Red Alert 2 which is incredible considering the ambition of the former and sales of the latter.

Not bashing Red Alert 2 I love it I do feel however that Sacrifice was way ahead of its time ideas and looks wise.

Also the game looks much better than those screenshots suggest especially on todays computers. A video below gives a better impression but its a steal at GOG.com so buy it there if you really want to experience it.

Edited by Haden

endless-ocean.jpg

Games like Endless Ocean could be hugely inspirational; shows you a world few hardly ever see, it educates and may even inspire a career.

Thanks for the replies! They were all very useful. It's for a Geography module for my degree finals, called "Inspirational Landscapes", it's what we call "extreme Geography" and when you think about it landscape is what Geography is founded on. So I thought I'd write about something interesting. I was either going to write about landscape of death or videogames and I plumped for videogames lol I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Bioshock yet.... also I don't suppose anyone knows of any websites on the topic?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Bioshock yet.... also I don't suppose anyone knows of any websites on the topic?

I was going to say Bioshock but I figured that was more about the architecture.

Crackdown:

crackdown.jpg

crackdown2_large.jpg

crackdown1.jpg

Doshin the Giant? you could basically create your own landscape in that and destroy it of course. :heh:

As for actual pre-made landscapes though, Termina Field in Majora's Mask is awesome, there isn't really another landscape quite like it.

The graphics are baaad.

Not even artistic =/

Spider-Man 2.

It was just amazing. I was like...12, and finally...a superhero game that was real.

Spider-Man 2.

It was just amazing. I was like...12, and finally...a superhero game that was real.

I used to lust swing around the city, it was amazing.

i have to give a nod to Dragon Quest VIII . You can stand pretty much anywhere in that game and get a nice backdrop, same with Grand Theft 4

Baiten Kaitos. Final Fantasy X.

(Some parts of) Jak & Daxter.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

Any of the Outrun games have pretty backgrounds:

outrun6.jpg

Come to think of it, a lot of Segas arcade racers have good backgrounds.

My favourites have already been mentioned though. SOTC and Skies of Arcadia. I love SOTCs calmness.