Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Excitebots: Trick Racing

david.dakota

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that all those people hankering for the return of F Zero won't be bothered about that anymore when this is released!

I've been back on Excite Truck recently, and have to say I don't know why it doesn't feature in people's top game lists more. It really is a very fun and complete experience. Any game that is just fun to put on and play even when you may not even be any good at it is a triumph imho. It's just so incredibly rewarding to throw trucks around the screen. Simply playing it is its own reward, and how many games these days can you say that about?

My only hope is they don't complicate the immense fun to be had simply racing about the place and winging through the air, with too many weapons and distractions. However, it looks to me as though this is really going to be something special.

Can't wait.

I have a feeling that all those people hankering for the return of F Zero won't be bothered about that anymore when this is released!

oh no let's not push it.. excite truck was mad fun and this looks fun too but i really don't see anything touching f-zero gx for a long time..

gx has a 4-player split screen,25 tracks,story mode, customisable vehicles.. was the game that kept on giving :)

Really? I disagree personally. I liked F Zero GX very much, but felt the gameplay got very difficult very quickly. The story mode in particular was completely unapproachable for me. I did clock the arcade mode, but it was teeth gnashingly annoying, and I sold it afterwards. The story mode I just gave up on!

In contrast I feel Excite Truck was much more easy going (and easy overall), and though I'm yet to beat the whole thing, I'll put the game on just to play it for fun. I rarely did that with F Zero GX. They're probably not really comparable games, but I drew the comparison from my own feelings anyway. I don't revere the GC game like many do though.

Yeah I don't really get GX. I think the game was better when it was that bit simpler.

I didn't think the tracks were as good, the music wasn't as good; yes the background were now 'alive', but I thought there was way to much stuff going on in them to distract; and split screen multiplayer was now more cluttered up.

Didn't see any appeal in the vehicle maker, as you already have easily enough choice.

Some of the single player missions were good, but the difficulty was pretty rediculous overall in it; as it was on the hardest cup difficulty.

No death race mode, No random track generator; and didn't have a track creator mode to compensate.

I dunno, I love F-Zero X SO MUCH, but this was just a game I didn't really connect with.

Edited by Retro_Link

Like I say I don't revere the GC game either. I liked it, and the graphics are just...wow. But as a game I just found it a bit of a pain. I've spent more quality time with Excite Truck than either F Zero GX or any of the Burnout games on the original Xbox. I'm not saying it's better than those games, just that I got more out of Excite Truck. Just my own feelings, and not a commentary on F Zero GX or the general opinions thereof. :D

For me and our lot, it's a definite case of roll on ExciteBots. My youngest has just clocked Excite Truck on Excite mode altogether and is now on Super Excite. I have two tracks to go till I get there...

The problem with GX was that it was just too hard. The story mode was quite interesting, but most of the levels took a massive number of tries to complete and it just got boring too fast. The game played really well, and aside from some of the textures, it really holds up well graphically too. The problem was progression, you felt like you were never making any progress in it because it took so long.

Yeah I don't really get GX. I think the game was better when it was that bit simpler.

..yeh.. see.. I get GX : peace: ..to me, the game is simply amazing and one of my favourite games ever!

The story mode was ridiculously hard, but I felt the Grand Prix was where the game excelled! F-Zero GX was dripping with tension and adrenaline.. just picture it:

You're on your last machine.. and it's the final race! You are entering the last corner in 2nd place with your Rival just ahead.. you know you have to take him out or it's over.. but your energy bar is almost out- you have one boost left! 3rd is breathing down your neck and contact from him will end the race.. you just have to go for it! It could end in stunning success with a well executed attack.. or complete failure if you don't carry out the task to perfection.

This is what makes F-Zero GX the amazing game that it is.. you're constantly on your toes, racing at insane speeds and knowing that sometimes you have to boost through a crowded field with extreme risk just to take out your rival to secure victory!

I love it :yay:

F-Zero is one of my favourite series so I haven't really anything bad to say about any of the entries. If there was one thing with GX though, it was that it lost the F-Zero "feel" in a way which I think was largely due to the trance nation soundtrack. :shakehead I didn't realise how much I liked the X soundtrack til I heard the GX stuff- and at the time, X had me pining for the Snes tunes...! The GX stuff just cheapened the game for me because it seemed like Sega had tried to make it cool and WipeOut-like.

So far, GP Legend is the one with the best soundtrack, imo. A healthy blend of the Snes and N64.

Otherwise, what / nando / said. :heh:

Yeah but F-Zero X offered all that intense high speed action aswell! but with IMO, better courses and one of the best soundtracks ever!

But hey, I can totally understand people loving the game, it's just I didn't!

The same happened to me this gen with SSBB. I just didn't really like it despite all the added extras and 'improvements', and would take Melee ANY day!

F-Zero is one of my favourite series so I haven't really anything bad to say about any of the entries. If there was one thing with GX though, it was that it lost the F-Zero "feel" in a way which I think was largely due to the trance nation soundtrack. :shakehead I didn't realise how much I liked the X soundtrack til I heard the GX stuff- and at the time, X had me pining for the Snes tunes...! The GX stuff just cheapened the game for me because it seemed like Sega had tried to make it cool and WipeOut-like.

So far, GP Legend is the one with the best soundtrack, imo. A healthy blend of the Snes and N64.

Otherwise, what / nando / said. :heh:

it;s funny really cause I didn't like X at all.. i admit I didn't play it at the time but I found it unplayable when i played it recently.. Could be like getting used to it I guess..

F-zero gx I really didn't think was all that hard lol. Sue me :)

I bought F Zero X last week.

Amazing game. Interesting how an N64 game can sublimely pull off 30 racers with that sense of speed, but most modern racing games tend to stick to much smaller numbers.

Ok, leave the N64 for a moment, and then come back to it. Take a look at everything. :heh:

I'm pretty sure the building surrounding the track are cardboard boxes with lights. Haha.

Although, you're right, there's a lot taking place, so in this instance, I'm glad Nintendo sacrificed pretty visuals for this. F Zero GX boggles the mind, though. It looks awesome AND there's so much going on. Nintendo really took something that was brilliant (F zero X) and...excelled with it.

Gentlemen, place your bets!

IGN: Tell us how the online mode works. Six-player over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, is it?

Richard / Hiro: Online mode is amazing and a lot of fun. We support both the regular Excite Racing and a new mode called the Poker Race. In the Poker Race, the goal is to collect poker cards and try to make high scoring hands. This requires a combination of strategy, quick thinking and a little luck.

A interesting new feature of online play through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is the ability to place bets on yourself. Let’s say you feel good about doing well in the next race. You can purchase a token worth up to 2500 points to bet on yourself for that race. At the end of the race, depending on your race results and a little luck, you can earn up to 6 times your original bet. Even if you come in last place, you have a chance of earning extra points. Betting is a great way to earn a lot of points to purchase new paint schemes, statues and other items.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!