Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

THERE DEFINITELY IS A GOD

Daft

What do you think a Christian would say about the eye burrowing worms Attenborough mentioned in that link earlier?

I mean when I've asked about diseases such as cancer, I've been told that man made them, not God. I don't know if this is true or not.

the good old get out of jail free card (the lord moves in mysterious ways.

as ricky gervais put it, the equivelent of going "look over there!" and running off

man certainly didnt make dissease and cancer, cancer is genetic. man made factors have an effect on it, certainly, but so do natural ones, such as sun light.

And the dinosaurs. Someone told me the Bible mentions "large beasts" which could be interpreted as the dinosaurs. But my most recent explanation I heard is that God put the fossils there to test our faith... Anyone?

depends on interpritation. a creationist musium in america (whos slogan is "don't think or question, belive" or somthing similar) features dinosaures in the garden of eden, one of which, a raptor, is eve's pet. they have an exhibit in which a cristian palientologist dosent need carbon dating, as his faith tells him the bones are just a few thousand years old.

also, wouldent putting fossils in the earth to test our faith be a bit devious? its like entrapment.

there is just a logical gat in this.

god loves us.

we must worship him to enter heaven.

he plants eience against himself to challenege our belife.

how does that work? if he loves us, surely he wouldent try and condem us to hell. it would be like me handing my kids paper clips and telling em to stuff em in the socket, hoping they know better.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, my avatar is fitting for many situations. ;)

Anyway, it is already obvious that this thread is going to end like all the others. Some people just can't discuss religion without getting personal and/or "attacking" the opposite opinion.

im honestly not trying to attack, im just discussing what has been said in logical manner.

ive not noticed any scathing attacks claiming christians are idiots or vise versa, just people stating thier own belifes or reasons they cannot belive in anouther system of worship.

im honestly not trying to attack, im just discussing what has been said in logical manner.

ive not noticed any scathing attacks claiming christians are idiots or vise versa, just people stating thier own belifes or reasons they cannot belive in anouther system of worship.

There hasn't been any direct attacks yet, but I'm not optimistic. I can only hope that people will keep this professional. And yes, I sound very pessimistic (though I'm normally a hopeless optimist), but I've seen my share of religion threads gone to hell (if you'll excuse the originally unintended pun).

There hasn't been any direct attacks yet, but I'm not optimistic. I can only hope that people will keep this professional. And yes, I sound very pessimistic (though I'm normally a hopeless optimist), but I've seen my share of religion threads gone to hell (if you'll excuse the originally unintended pun).

Aye I fully agree. And often the result is bloodshed and someone ending up in another castle.

Aye I fully agree. And often the result is bloodshed and someone ending up in another castle.

Exactly. I only ever discuss religion with people I know to be accepting and respectful of others' opinions, however wildly those may differ from their own. Which is exactly why I have the policy of not discussing religion on an open Internet forum. That said, the people I've met in here are some of the most intelligent, accepting, and generally nice people I've ever met online, so if a professional religious debate is ever to be possible anywhere on the Net, it could very well be here. The debate has indeed been reasonably professional so far, and as mentioned I shall be following it with great interest.

my problem is that i can't help myself being drawn into debates. point in case, the christian society were giving away free sweets one night, and started talking to us about god. i had no quarel with them. really a nice bunch all in all, but yet still i argued my point. why? was i hoping to convince them outherwise from their belifes? no thats not it, it really didnt effect me so why would i mind? (as long as religion dosent affect laws and treatments available, its no harm to me). was i trying to make myself look awsome? i was arguing witht he people who gave me sweets. so no, no one would have found that awsome. was i arguing because i enjoy it? yes, i think i was. i just love to argue, i seem unable to back down as long as my point still stands.

i dont want to convince people to give up thier religion, i just want a bit of mental fencing.

my problem is that i can't help myself being drawn into debates. point in case, the christian society were giving away free sweets one night, and started talking to us about god. i had no quarel with them. really a nice bunch all in all, but yet still i argued my point. why? was i hoping to convince them outherwise from their belifes? no thats not it, it really didnt effect me so why would i mind? (as long as religion dosent affect laws and treatments available, its no harm to me). was i trying to make myself look awsome? i was arguing witht he people who gave me sweets. so no, no one would have found that awsome. was i arguing because i enjoy it? yes, i think i was. i just love to argue, i seem unable to back down as long as my point still stands.

i dont want to convince people to give up thier religion, i just want a bit of mental fencing.

Indeed, I love to debate myself, and religion is a very deep and multi-layered subject with many different aspects.

The way you describe your discussion with those Christians is the way I hope religious debates can be held, but the sad fact is that far too many people get personal about it - and that includes both believers and non-believers, extremists and moderates.

I dont see how religious debates can be deep

Looking at it logically, its just stories and fables conceived by people to try and understand their existence.

Really its suprising that a culture as intelligent and developed as ours refuses to give up beliefs that are so old yet we dismiss many notions that are younger and seem ignorant compared to now.

I personally am agnostic. However, I believe there probably are lifeforms on a higher level of existence, but that there's just one benevolant god that created all would not fit in to that logically. I just need proof.

This advertising campaign however is ridiculous

I'm open about all religeons, no matter what they are to be honest.

The original advert stating "There is a God" is probably a lot more non-embarrasing that someone standing in the street preaching this (i've seen loads of these people in Newport, Cardiff and Bristol). Still a bit ridiculous though, but nowhere near as embarrasing as the person who stands in the street.

Indeed, my avatar is fitting for many situations. ;)

Anyway, it is already obvious that this thread is going to end like all the others. Some people just can't discuss religion without getting personal and/or "attacking" the opposite opinion.

dude it's like the 4th time you've said this. We get it a thread of yours got locked ok :).. jeez grow and pair and post :):bouncy:

i've read the whole thread.. there are no arguments everything is on topic. It's been a good read.

Why did they do this. Stupid stupid stupid. The atheist busses were stupid and now whoever has started this has sunk down to that level.

Also the Christian Party? What as in political party lol??

Anyway as a Christian I despair of stuff like this its like watching a couple of trolls fighting.

Anyway as a Christian I despair of stuff like this its like watching a couple of trolls fighting.

Especially as (in the case of the Christian ones) it's almost certainly donation money that's getting spent on it. I have no idea who would fund the atheist ones or what their aim is. It's not like Atheism is an actual group (unless there actually is one, which doesn't make sense).

Especially as (in the case of the Christian ones) it's almost certainly donation money that's getting spent on it. I have no idea who would fund the atheist ones or what their aim is. It's not like Atheism is an actual group (unless there actually is one, which doesn't make sense).

Good point. I would be well annoyed if I was a Christian that had donated. This is completley counter productive. People will look at these adverts and be repulsed and see Christians as a lunatic fringe movement. Faith is a very personal thing advertising it is stupid.

As for the atheism one there are various secular societies in the UK and I think some pretty high profile atheists Dawkins etc got behind it but Im not sure. Also why couldnt the christian one have hot girls advertising it like the atheist one. Hell most Brazillian and Italian girls would say they were catholic if asked just ship some over!

Mmm hot foriegn catholic girls.

i just had an idea. we form an aithiest group, we get our own equivelent of crosses, start our own church like thing, tell people our belifes then ask them for money.

actualy, that sounds alot like a science museum.

let start our own musieum!

i just had an idea. we form an aithiest group, we get our own equivelent of crosses, start our own church like thing, tell people our belifes then ask them for money.

actualy, that sounds alot like a science museum.

let start our own musieum!

Aghh god I don't want to turn this into a religious thread. But thats just a pet peeve lots of scientists have all sorts of beliefs or questions they are not just atheist.

But yeh you were kidding anyway so dont worry.

You are a bit late though with the tell people about athiesm and get their money idea though its happened loads of times in history!

As a christian what are your views on the cancer and dinosaurs?

Sigh...

Not interested in taking the bait. I am quite prepared to go into reasons for my beliefs outside of the boards but this is a different subject as Ashley already outlined.

Sigh...

Not interested in taking the bait. I am quite prepared to go into reasons for my beliefs outside of the boards but this is a different subject as Ashley already outlined.

I'm not baiting you, I just want to know what you think. I'm not going to get angry or anything over your answer.

dude it's like the 4th time you've said this. We get it a thread of yours got locked ok :).. jeez grow and pair and post :):bouncy:

i've read the whole thread.. there are no arguments everything is on topic. It's been a good read.

Who said I ever made a thread that got locked? I'm talking about experiences from another forum. But I refuse to go into the discussion. And I should probably stop mentioning this in every post. Discuss away.

I'm not baiting you, I just want to know what you think. I'm not going to get angry or anything over your answer.

This is why tone of voice is needed on these forums lol. Sorry I am just used to being a bit defensive as I am in a pretty low minority on this forum.

What do I think of Dinasours? I love them lol have loads of books on them so I dont deny they exist or anything absurd. Im not someone who buys into evolution disproving God so I dont really have much to say.

As for cancer its part of life and death. An awful part but it is part of the system we live in. People have to die of something I am sorry to put that harshley but its the truth if it wasn't cancer it would be something else.

Mmm hot foriegn catholic girls.

Amen to that!

Oddly, all the hot foreign catholic girls I know here at Surrey Uni (there are a lot!) are similar to our very own DomJcg (who is neither hot nor a girl :wink:) - they're Catholic by name, but don't really give a shit.

They are extremely hot, I must say...

If there is a God.

He has alot to answer for.

It's nice to know some people have faith in something more than what we can see and test, but I just can't push my brain and heart to do so. I don't like having those views pushed so forcefully in my direction, if I don't do it to you it shouldn't be returned.

Amen to that!

Oddly, all the hot foreign catholic girls I know here at Surrey Uni (there are a lot!) are similar to our very own DomJcg (who is neither hot nor a girl :wink:) - they're Catholic by name, but don't really give a shit.

Lucky lucky you...

That is the weapon of the pope by the end of 2009 the fish will be a catholic and have a ultra hot gf I am calling it now ;)

Oh wait you already have a gf from what I remember. Well looks like the Pope has failed this time!

This is why tone of voice is needed on these forums lol. Sorry I am just used to being a bit defensive as I am in a pretty low minority on this forum.

What do I think of Dinasours? I love them lol have loads of books on them so I dont deny they exist or anything absurd. Im not someone who buys into evolution disproving God so I dont really have much to say.

As for cancer its part of life and death. An awful part but it is part of the system we live in. People have to die of something I am sorry to put that harshley but its the truth if it wasn't cancer it would be something else.

Do you know what the Church's position is?

If there is a God.

He has alot to answer for.

When you get to Heaven, brush St. Peter aside. Walk up to God and say:

"One of us is in Deep trouble."

Amen to that!

Naturally we want pics, or it didn't happen.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!