Match 14: Postal Service vs. CSS

Match 15: Portishead vs. Lia

Match 16: Fall Out Boy vs. Tori Amos

Match 17: HIM vs. Megadeth

Match 18: A Fine Frenzy vs. Goldfrapp

Match 19: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds vs. Family Force 5

Match 20: ?

Match 21: ?

As much as I appreciate that the Pixies are lovely, and I would vote for them over alot of other crap in this competition, this is Cornflake Girl we are talking about.

Like, I love the bit where she actually starts singing with a powerful voice at the "the man with the golden gun" bit.

Lovely.

Tori Amos for the win.

Cornflake Girl

Actually quite good :o

Why are you so surprised?

Of course, Tori gets my vote. While 'Hey" wasn't great, it showed promise of them as a band, and I keep getting them recommended, so I'll look them up in the near future.

But Cornflake Girl, though somewhat sick of it, being a HUGE EWF (Ears With Feet, a.k.a a Tori fan) as I am, It's still so utterly awesome.

Cornflake Girl - 6

Hey - 2

Jeez "Hey" was pretty mild.

Cornflake Girl was great. Not quite sure what the lyrics meant...but its less important to me if the song in general is executed as well as that, so yes. Tori ftw.

In general, Tori Amos lyrics are derived from umpteen different emotions/sources, meaning the listener has to piece them into their own interpreatations.

I haven't tried in particular to analyse/look into Cornflake Girl, but I know it's partially "about" female circumcision.

From HereInMyHead.com;

"I read the Alice Walker book, Possessing the Secret of Joy, and there's umm, in that book, the mothers take the daughters to the butchers to have their, let's say their genitalia removed. And even though it's a patriarchal culture that she's talking about, and that this custom was put into practice a long, long time ago by the patriarchy, it's the mothers that take their daughters. And, what I was singing about was, it's funny how from generation to generation women really betray each other in the ladies' room. There is a whole secret society that happens, and a lot of times a mother will say 'I'm doing this for your good' whether it was binding the feet in the Eastern cultures or whether it's marrying your daughter to this gangrene, smelly-breathed, old, decrepit, rotting scumbag that's 80 years old with dough. 'You know, this is really the best for you,' when the truth is, it's the best for everybody else. And, that's an extreme of women's relationships brought to just like, your girlfriend that you're hanging out with, but betrayal is betrayal, and I was thrown in to many situations as I was reading that book where girls, my girls, we were just dissin' each other. The things that we were doing, umm, it's like I would have never imagined that we could be so unsupportive of each other, and it was just happening while I was reading this book, and Cornflake Girl is the betrayal really of girls."

Hmmmm, not my favourite of Pixies songs and Tori Amos I'm not entirely convinced by, partly because I remember having it stuck in my head for days when I was a kid although I didn't know any of the lyrics which made it all the worse, (Wow cool story, now get on with it). Alright, I'll go with the popular vote and say Tori.