N-Europe

Dante’s Inferno

Dante

EA SENDS PLAYERS TO HELL IN EPIC ACTION GAME

(December 15, 2008) – An abducted soul, a lifetime of sins, a journey to the depths of despair. Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that EA Redwood Shores, the studio behind hit horror game Dead Space™, is making Dante’s Inferno™ – a third-person action adventure adaptation of the medieval epic poem The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri. The dark fiction gave birth to the Tuscan Italian dialect and is widely considered to have defined the western world’s contemporary conception of hell and purgatory. The poem tells the tale of Dante who journeys through the twisted, menacing nine circles of hell in pursuit of his beloved Beatrice.

Written in the 14th Century, The Divine Comedy was published and read aloud in Italian (unlike the Bible), thereby making the poem accessible to the mass public. The poem delivers a striking and allegorical vision of the Christian afterlife and the punishments of hell. In part one, known as Dante’s Inferno, Dante traverses all nine circles of hell; limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, wrath, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery.

“The time is right for the world of interactive entertainment to adapt this literary masterpiece, and to re-introduce Dante to an audience that, until now, may have been unfamiliar with the remarkable details of this great work of art,” said Jonathan Knight, executive producer for Dante’s Inferno. “It’s the perfect opportunity to fuse great gameplay with great story.”

For more information on Dante’s Inferno, please visit http://www.dantesinferno.com and sign up for the newsletter and bookmark for news, features and upcoming events.

www.primotechnology.com

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here was me thinking you'd created a new game Dante!

But EA sending players to hell...how ironic, lol.

dude, so 2006.

Game could amuse. Thoughtful adventure, please EA. Distinct lack of want for fickle licence cladding on a 'mature action game' or some shit from this typist.

quite so. Damn them for producing some of the finest software and releases of 2008. Damn them!

Their stupidity of including DRM in PC titles (superior versions of their games, not the 360 versions) meant that people went and got the non-DRM pirated versions, meaning they lost money. People who bought the real thing got frustrated with DRM.

I don't care how good the games they produced were by throwing money at them, they're still arseholes.

Their stupidity of including DRM in PC titles (superior versions of their games, not the 360 versions) meant that people went and got the non-DRM pirated versions, meaning they lost money. People who bought the real thing got frustrated with DRM.

I don't care how good the games they produced were by throwing money at them, they're still arseholes.

Dont buy the real thing then, saves money, time and makes you better than them.

and 360 is the superior gaming machine out of them 2

What i played of dead space i liked, gonna pick it up wen i find it in a 2 for £30 or sumthin, hopin this shud be good, i like the idea of walkin around hell beatin up satans bitches

and 360 is the superior gaming machine out of them 2

Stopped reading right there. PC version is always superior, everyone knows that (graphically, load times, number of options of control, free online). And for games like C&C: RA3 you can hardly argue the toss on this.

Stopped reading right there. PC version is always superior, everyone knows that (graphically, load times, number of options of control, free online). And for games like C&C: RA3 you can hardly argue the toss on this.

Mouse + keyboard are shit when compared to a pad, much more relaxed.

PC Chair, wank when compared to a fat comfy sofa.

Its not all about technical specs, u shud realise this considering your always right.

Mouse + keyboard are shit when compared to a pad, much more relaxed.

Which is why I said 'control options' was another plus point for PC games. You can either play with mouse and keyboard or joypads. With the 360 it's pretty much joypad only for most games. Microsoft released a 360 controller for the PC:

360controllerwindows.jpg

PC Chair, wank when compared to a fat comfy sofa.

My PC is linked up to my HDTV via DVI -> HDMI cable. This is possible with any HDTV. Any. So a lot of your "PC is for sitting in a chair by a monitor using a keyboard and mouse" arguments are pretty much null and void.

Its not all about technical specs, u shud realise this considering your always right.

In a debate about which version is superior, specs are a big player in determining this. Considering PC games can look and feel twice as good as their console counterparts to play (Oblivion and and Bioshock are good examples that spring to mind) I think it is worth mentioning. And good PC setups aren't that expensive anymore either.

My point is that EA decided to gimp paying customers who bought the PC versions. Not really clever, as it resorted in more piracy.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Played the demo on the Us store.

This is the most shameful direct ripoff of a game in along long time. Its exactly like God of War. Shamefully copy and pasted. Having said that I expect many to like it. Its more simpler and dumbed down from story to gameplay but i am sure the dull Christian angle and huge helping of boobs will ensure sales.

This will outsell GOW and all the others combined easily.

Some issues: You spend too long in some areas fighting basic fodder enemies. Bosses are too simple compared to GOW. Much more button bashy. Areas are dull compared to GOW. The game is too similar to GOW in places down to tiny details. Mr Christian dude isnt as interesting to fight with. Alot less violent and interesting than GOW in gameplay action, attacks look plain and you animate more simply. etc. But thats what you get from super direct ripoffs.

Edited by Choze

I think it's more likely to be a flop.

Well By EA standards several million is a flop :p This will do well count on it. EA have blown alot on this game expect a huge push come launch.

I am wondering why they havent named it Hell Boobies though? :p

I'm looking forward to trying this. The souce material rocks and although this'll be highly inaccurate, I'm sure it'll also be familiar.

Edit: Just played this and really enjoyed it. I think a big part of the reason I don't like stuff like Beyonetta and that crap is because the setting is just too weird, and in Beyonetta's case just perverted at points.

Edited by Daft

I am going to reserve my judgement until I try the demo.

Which is at what the 22 dec for xbox 360?

Although I must say that I think the setting is very interesting and I want to play solely to see the setting and plot.

Or read the Divine Comedy

I think a big part of the reason I don't like stuff like Beyonetta and that crap is because the setting is just too weird, and in Beyonetta's case just perverted at points.

At points?

Understatement of the century.

Well Dante's Inferno is mundane with lots and lots of boobies. Lots of nudity that is. I dont think Bayonetta has any actual real nudity. Bayonetta has character at least. In Dante's Inferno you get the main character poking himself with a sewing needle for no reason. The story is shoddy as can be.

Pretty shit overall. If you are going to copy and paste do it well and try to improve on the source material. As of right now its not worth my time when i can just play GOW and get a 10x better game out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

When people said God of War rip off I didn't realise the extent to which it was true. Played the demo, it's just unbelievable how much this game has copied it.

From big things like the cinematic camera angles when wondering around to small things like the green gas balls for health, and QTE boss finishes, it doesn't cease to show you how desperate they were to create an identical experience.