N-Europe

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/937/937647p1.html

TMNT Fighter Confirmed, Wii Bound

Ex-Smash/Team Ninja developers looking to kick shell in 2009.

News broke recently out of the latest Nintendo Power, and has been confirmed officially by Ubisoft, that a new TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) fighter is currently underway for Wii, and that it's slated for a September 2009 release.

Without being based on any specific release (movie, television show, or otherwise) the game will need to stand on its own merits, so Ubisoft has built a team up of ex-Smash Bros. and Team Ninja developers to tackle the task, with the team starting concept work in October of 2007, and full-on development in January of this year.

Very little is known so far, but confirmed already is the game's 2.5D design (Smash-inspired, obviously), a glow effect color system so players can keep track of their fighter mid-battle, four-player fighting, unlockable characters and stages, and a few specific modes. Ubisoft didn't say much on that front, adding only that there will be Story Mode, Battle Royal, Tournament, Practice, and two Winner/Loser Stays modes. In addition, the online aspects are said to have better implementation than Nintendo's own Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which would certainly make this one a real contender against Wii's top mascot fighter. If, of course, they can pull it off.

While news is still slim, an Ubisoft producer was quoted stating that "While this is a licensed game, it's not tied to any movie or TV show. For this game to succeed on its own it needs to be a great game."

That got us wondering. What style will we see for the TMNT fighter? We'd assume with 2.5D and the recent success of the TMNT movie (2007) that it'd be a hybrid of that design, mixed with their own artistic style thrown in. With that being said, the inner Turtles fan in us would love to see a game based on the classic comics that got the whole franchise started back in 1984.

As long as the game doesn't have Genghis Frog in it though, we're happy.

This has potential! It will have had a long development, and sounds to have good developers working on it! Then again, it is Ubisoft!

Personally I'd absolutely love to see it in the style of the classic cartoon/comic!

Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles_1987.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the news for a few reasons:

1-Seems to have a good team behind it;

2-Long development time;

3-Ubisoft aren't actually making it :wink:

Plus, I'm a fan of the classic "80's show" turtles. Although all I'm asking for in the design is that their eyes have pupils. Seriously, blank eyes are just creepy.

Hmmmm.... why didn't I make this thread before the news was shown on IGN and on here on the main page? My brain really hasn't been working properly these past few days.

Anyway, it does have a good team working on it. Ubisoft are merely publishing the title I believe so we don't need to worry about any interference from them. Could (or rather should) work out well and having better online than Smash Bros wouldn't be difficult.

I like the news for a few reasons:

1-Seems to have a good team behind it;

2-Long development time;

3-Ubisoft aren't actually making it :wink:

Plus, I'm a fan of the classic "80's show" turtles. Although all I'm asking for in the design is that their eyes have pupils. Seriously, blank eyes are just creepy.

You stole my post before I wrote it.

I also hope they use old characters from the cartoon/comics and don't create them. It's one of those games I can buy for the sake of nostalgia.

More details:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/11287

GoNintendo have gathered up even more details on the game.

Those thinking that the game might return to the style of the 80s Cartoon show will be disappointed by the visuals of the game being described as 'dark and edgy', more in line with the latest Movie and Cartoon series, although no specific generation of TMNT has been referenced. There will be little in the way of endless One-liners being spoken in battles either.

As for the fighting itself, there will be multiple Control Schemes, two of which are the Remote alone, and the Remote + Nunchuk. Motions will be kept to a minimum also.

You'll be able to 'swing off ledges to do jump-kicks and more', and use taunts and items like the Smash Bros series. You can change match settings too; to what extent is still unclear.

The Story mode planned for TMNT on Wii will not be a Sidescroller like the Subspace Emissary mode from Smash Bros Brawl. The online feature is planned for 4 Players, and the developers are 'working hard to deliver a smooth experience free of the issues that hindered Brawl. They also want to add something unique to the mix, so expect a new twist or two'.

The release date is planned for September 09, although this most likely will change.

I'm seeing a distinct lack of a Terardrome and Mousers. :nono:

Could be good. Environments are looking highly detailed yet fairly uninspiring.

Very true!

Real shame it's not based directly on the classic cartoon series. I havn't really seen much of the new series so don't know if it still has all the same stuff.

Levels that would be cool...

- Turtle Lair

- Sewer

- Technodrome

- Rooftops [complete with plenty of telephone cable zip wires]

- A-top a speeding Party Wagon travelling through the streets. With the roof and side doors sliding open at times and things being lauched/fired...

It looks exactly like the last TMNT film (no bad thing). If I get to recreate the Leaonardo/Raphael rooftop fighting scene (and it looks like I will get to) I'll be more than happy.

Really hope it includes some amazing unlockable characters and retro environments (ala Smash). Baxter Stockman/Krang etc fighting amongst the Technodrome and some 80's style environments. (I just hope Kasey Jones is playable from the start...and what about some "Go ninja, go ninja, go" music? - /wishlist)

Really hope this turns out well as I love the Turtles franchise. Turtles Tournament Fighters was excellent (as mentioned) and if this was as good as that title (but for the new generation) I'd be delighted.

It looks exactly like the last TMNT film (no bad thing). If I get to recreate the Leaonardo/Raphael rooftop fighting scene (and it looks like I will get to) I'll be more than happy.

Really hope it includes some amazing unlockable characters and retro environments (ala Smash). Baxter Stockman/Krang etc fighting amongst the Technodrome and some 80's style environments. (I just hope Kasey Jones is playable from the start...and what about some "Go ninja, go ninja, go" music? - /wishlist)

Really hope this turns out well as I love the Turtles franchise. Turtles Tournament Fighters was excellent (as mentioned) and if this was as good as that title (but for the new generation) I'd be delighted.

THIS!

I freakin loved that scene in the movie. I was so glad who the winner was in that fight :bowdown:

Also having the 80s cartoon chaacters/skins would be fantastic. I wonder if they put in that team of mutant frogs that Shredder created? :)

Brazillian? Now that you talk about it I seem to remember that ridiculous accent saying "April!". Ugh.

There were a few VHS tapes from the Brazillian version. I only remember BR Leonardo's ridiculously high-pitched voice.

But I don't know if that version ever graced our channels. I clearly remember the english version with subtitles (in RTP)

There were a few VHS tapes from the Brazillian version. I only remember BR Leonardo's ridiculously high-pitched voice.

But I don't know if that version ever graced our channels. I clearly remember the english version with subtitles (in RTP)

Yeah, that might be where I remember it from.

Anyway, I really like this new artsyle and the team is great, so here's hoping...