Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Lest we forget, the IGN thing stated:

I've bolded the key word there. If that is correct, then all suggestions so far are off. It's likely that it's something that was known to be in development but was either canned or put on hiatus, which would go to explain why it wasn't out anywhere.

That immediately makes me think of Project Hammer. That would make sense too. Nintendo Software Technology Corporation doesn't have any announced projects at the moment.

Or perhaps not even that. For all we know it could be a successor to Donkey Kong 64 - highly unlikely. But if it's "out of nowhere" then I doubt it's going to be what we're all expecting.

Donkey Kong was one of the first games Miyamoto said he was working on for the Revolution. I refuse to believe Barrel Blast was the project he was referring to.

you know kirby games aren't THAT great. Unlike mario games they're really aimed at kids and are far too easy.

Maybe if we're lucky this'll be a proper Paper Mario game?

I'm all for that, VERY MUCH infact!

But when you consider that Mario really doesn't use a lot of different sounds in any Paper Mario game (They could even recycle them from the previous games) it's probably a long shot. COuld be a Paper Mario game with more mario vocals though:bouncy:

Don't rule out Mario Party 9 just yet, if it has on-line with up to 12 players and is as awesome as number 5 / 6, we could have yet another league on our hands :laughing:

mario party 9 me thinks

A few people over at gaf have said this aswell. One said that the numbers that Mario Party 8 did may have made Nintendo take a fresh look at the series and give it a bit polish. Mario Party is crying out for an online mode. Saying that I wouldn't call Mario Party an A title or a B for that matter, the series has lost its way somewhat .

A few people over at gaf have said this aswell. One said that the numbers that Mario Party 8 did may have made Nintendo take a fresh look at the series and give it a bit polish. Mario Party is crying out for an online mode. Saying that I wouldn't call Mario Party an A title or a B for that matter, the series has lost its way somewhat .

My thoughts are your thoughts. A fresh new take on the Mario Party series would be very welcome. Only if it's for the better though:laughing: but then again, who am I to judge what's best for me. Nintendo gave me the wii-mote and The Windwaker, with that they also gave me big doubts. Once played and experienced, doubts were terminated:)

I'll be a happy camper if it doesn't resemble Mario Party 8 in any way.

5 and 6 are still my favourites:D

I was considering posting this in the Extraction thread, but figured it would be better suited for some wider discussion here.

Anyway, if people didn't already know, Dead Space Extraction didn't do very well at retail... at all. A staff member of Visceral Games (who didn't actually have a main hand in development of Extraction - that would be Eurocom) has posted on NeoGaf about the game's performance.

It is a shame nobody bought this. As much as everyone made fun of Frank Gibeau's "experiment" it will actually influence the SKU plan with respect to the Wii just like he said in his interview.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if EA indeed use it as an excuse to stop getting in clearly-reluctantly developers to produce core titles on Wii. Whether this is justified by Extraction's performance alone will remain a rampant discussion point for some time. Personally, I don't think such a move is, and here's why.

EA need to ask themselves "why exactly didn't Dead Space Extraction sell on Wii?" In defence of the game, it gathered some stellar reviews, so quality itself shouldn't have been a problem. It's also an established franchise amongst core gamers, so it didn't share the issues of breakout IPs. In some defence of the publisher, the game was marketed to an extent (although in the same apathetic, false way that many publishers seem to go for with Wii titles: so-called 'internet' marketing instead of traditional media).

It seems to me that EA are faced with a couple of options:

1.) Did Dead Space Extraction not sell on Wii because Wii gamers do not buy core games?

or

2.) Did Dead Space Extraction not sell on Wii because it was developed in a genre that nobody asked for; and one that EA knew full well would attract backlash?

The depressing truth is that to a corporation like EA, number 1 is also the easiest case to assume. Although I do think it would be interesting food for thought if they asked themselves a third question, that being "Would a more-expensive, HD, on-rails Dead Space game have been proportionately more successful on HD consoles?"

It's frustrating to see that this far on in a console's lifetime, there are still relatively few examples of GENUINELY great, core third party titles that are marketed well selling deservedly. But I argue that that is purely because the console still lacks near-enough ANY genuinely great, core third party titles that are marketed well. I still maintain that Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is one of the greatest success-stories on the market. Undeniably a gamer's game, advertised well (I remember sponsorship deals with Channel 4), and a finely-developed piece of software. It's simply logic that that game would surpass a million units with ease, and taking into consideration the game was a port of two already-successful releases, the potential for core games done 'right' one Wii can hardly be denied.

If someone would like to point me towards a failure-story to contrast RE4:WE's success, then please do. I honestly wish I could think of a wide range of high-quality, third party 'gamer's games' on Wii, but it's tough. I can think of a couple of predictable retorts to that challenge, but I'll address them if they're brought up.

Anyway, long thought-process is coming to a close now, so I want to know what you think; specifically about what went wrong with Dead Space Extraction, and whether EA should be re-examining their position on Wii as a consequence.

Nice post D_Pr0.

I bought Dead space and it is a brilliant, mature title on Wii. But then again it is in a genre which just isn't seen as a million seller arena. 'Light-gun' titles outside of the established franchises just don't shift large numbers. I have to agree that EA picked a strange market. Deadspace would have been a great 1st person shooter on Wii, heck, what was wrong with a 3rd person title?

Like Madworld/HOTD Overkill/RESI light gun games, Wii seems to attract some strange choices for 'mature' titles. Then when they don't sell publishers seem to play the blame game.

I feel Wii gamers may be sick of light gun titles - sick that they are being left with a focus on IR functionality (and 'lite' mechanics) over a fully featured explorative adventure .

Gah, I don't know what to think anymore. Publishers are dense. Knock on wood dense and gamers get the blame when they don't buy 'bizarre' unpopular genre games like Z&W, light gun games and (insert own experience here).

I dunno. The Wii publisher scene is wiierd.

I've got Dead Space Extraction and I'd agree with the reviews and with Tapedeck there in saying it's a great game. However, I think, and I'm sure many others would think so, that a game of this calibur, coming off of the back of a successful launch of the IP last year, should have stuck to its itinery and gone with a 3rd person set up. We all know light gun games are a hard sell on the Wii, especially now given the plethora of titles already clogging up the genre, and even though this is a much more interactive and cinematic experience than all of the other games in its genre (I'd go so far as to say DS:E is the best light gun game on the Wii), it's still going to market in a genre that arguably doesn't need many more titles for the foreseeable future.

It's hard to point the finger of blame at any one group for this. Wii owners will carry the brunt of it for not buying the game but the advertising fell simply to online adverts and the idea that the reputation of the original game would bring people back. But when you have the game moving to a different console, you have a different audience in a way and so here we have why EA will get the blame. Poor advertising to a market that, while having had many games in the genre, may not be entirely familiar with the concept of Dead Space hasn't helped it at all and EA really, really need to look at that first and foremost. Secondly, and D_prOdigy has already said it, did the same fall into a genre that didn't need it? House of the Dead, Umbrella Chronicles, Ghost Squad, etc. These are admittedly big names in the genre so why would you want to bring something else herewhen there is already tough competition? EA have clearly tried to take the Capcom route and do to Dead Space what they did to Resi Evil on the Wii. And it sort of worked, on a critical level, but not on a marketing level and so we do have to wonder why fans were put off and whether this comes down to the change in gameplay or the console.

On that last point, I'd say it's a bit of both because the Wii, no matter what is coming to the console, is still carrying this 'kiddie' image and it comes down to Nintendo and the way in which they are advertising the console. But similarly, the change in gameplay is something that will have turned off those fans of the original because why would you want to move from a 3rd person shooter, in the vain of Resi Evil, to a light gun game? The atmosphere and tension was still there but you do lose some of the overall feel for the experience.

So basically, no one party is to blame but at the same time, all parties are to blame for the poor sales. This is what developers need to see before ditching 'mature' titles on the console.

1.) Did Dead Space Extraction not sell on Wii because Wii gamers do not buy core games?

or

2.) Did Dead Space Extraction not sell on Wii because it was developed in a genre that nobody asked for; and one that EA knew full well would attract backlash?

it never was going to sell well. There are a lot of reasons for it not selling well.

1) it's a sequel to a third person adventure scaled back to a first person lightgun

2) light-gun games ARE old fashioned and people really DONT want them anymore. I talking about the general public here. they are niche and niche games only always sell a handful.

The way more people talk about core games have gta and extraction thrown in the same way and I think it's ridiculous.

People for wii DO buy core games or would if a proper oppertunity came up. you cant expect the xbox loving american shithead kid to pick up demon blade or extraction. It won't happen because they are old-fashioned niche made for the real dedicated hardcore fan not a gta average gamer.

Now i would think COD: WW on wii WILL sell well despite being on other systems for about a year. A well established franchise, the genre isnt changed, it will be marketed well I think.

I hope EA would see it from my point. To summarire. extraction is a niche game not a core game. gta is a core game.