NEurope

PlayStation: Peter Dille On Sony In 2009

You have lots of data -- years of data. What percentage of people actually do buy more than one console in any given generation? Do you have any data on that? Because that's a phenomenon that I would guess is overrepresented in the enthusiast press and the enthusiast audience compared to the broad consumer.

PD: It might be overrepresented. I'm not sure I have a percentage for you, but you're probably talking millions of people and not tens of millions because we know that there are tens of millions of consoles that get sold. It's not the majority; it's the minority of folks.

But they happen to be the 80-20 rule, right? They may be in the minority, but they're buying an awful lot of software, whereas once you get to the broader audience of folks who buy a lot of hardware, they buy fewer games -- back to your tie ratio question.

Julie Han: The other point, I think, to what Peter said earlier, is that PlayStation products tend to be at the living room hub. Even if folks are playing playing the Wii and have a PS3, the Wii tends to stay in the closet, and the PS3 is...

Peter Dille: Yeah, I don't want to steal [CEO] Jack [Tretton]'s quote, but he's fond of saying: "Microsoft owns the office; Sony owns the living room; and Wii owns the closet." And that's an aggressive, probably quotable line.

Does the DS own the bedroom and the PSP own the garden?

I think Sony's spokespeople either own a stick up their arse or a brain tumour...

I don't get that metaphor at all. Then again, I don't get why Sony think their doing well so far this gen.

I think he's saying people just put their Wii in the closet and forget about it.

In which case, Sony the store shelf as no ones buying 'em!

Then again, I don't get why Sony think their doing well so far this gen.

They've outsole Gamecube and presumably Xbox LTD figures, they've achieved two thirds of the 360 market. I don't think their doing too badly. That said, their heads are in the clouds.

I mentioned this in the Another Code thread,

but I can't believe what an awesome summer line-up the Wii actually has in store for us!!

So often, summer is the slowest part of the year for games, but this year we have, all released over the summer months:

ExciteBots

Another Code

Grand Slam Tennis

Virtua Tennis

Punch Out

Little Kings Story

Wii Sports Resort

Ghostbusters

Tiger Woods

The Conduit

that's probably forgetting some as well, and I don't know about you, but pretty much all of those games a potential purchases for me!

And then we'll be moving into the later part of the year and will have the likes of...

Resi:TDC, Dead Space, Silent Hill, Spyborgs, Endless Ocean 2, Formula 1, NMH2, Sin and Punishment 2, maybe Final Fantasy etc... to be looking forward to!

It really is a great time!

Edited by Retro_Link

^ I thought NMH2 wasn't going to hit (at least in Europe) until spring next year.

^ I thought NMH2 wasn't going to hit (at least in Europe) until spring next year.

I don't think it's hitting anywhere until next year. It's down as January for the US and Feb/Mar for Europe with no word on the Japanese release date.

Famitsu First Day Sales (04/23)

[WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - SP 65,000 (60%) / SE 27,000 (30%)

[PS3] Killzone 2 (SCE) - 20,000 (45%)

[PSP] Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3: Kowareyuku Machi no Kanojo no Uta (Irem Software Engineering) - 19,000 (35%)

[360] Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. (Ubisoft) - 6,000 (40%)

[360] DeathSmiles (Cave) - LE 5,000 (65%) / SE 4,000 (60%)

[NDS] A Ressha de Gyoukou DS (Artdink) - 4,500 (30%)

[PSP] Nantama: Chronicle of Dungeon Maker (Global A Entertainment) - 2,000 (25%)

[NDS] Mezase!! Tsuri Master DS (Hudson) - 1,500 (7%)

[NDS] Zaidanhoujin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 250 Banjin no Kanken Premium - Zenkyuu Zen-Kanji Kanzen Seiha (IE Institute) - 800 (3%)

Japan Sales: April 13 - 19

01. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon (Nintendo) 142,000 / NEW

02. [PSP] BASARA Battle Heroes (Capcom) 28,000 / 114,000

03. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) 19,000 / 541,000

04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) 18,000 / 591,000

05. [NDS] Hitman Reborn (Takara Tommy) 17,000 / NEW

06. [PSP] Fantasy Golf Pangya Portable (Takara Tommy) 13,000 / NEW

07. [NDS] Pro Yakyuu Famista DS 2009 (Konami) 11,000 / 55,000

08. [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (KOEI) 10,000 / 205,000

09. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Namco Bandai) 9,000 / 144,000

10. [WII] Deca Sports 2 (Hudson) 9,000 / NEW

PS3 62,527

DSL/DSi 44,725

PSP 40,065

Wii 13,221

Xbox 360 8,652

PS2 4,230

- Total sales are 703,770 (104.85% of last week).

- There are 15 new releases this week, accounting for 27.99% of all sales.

- "PMD: Explorers of the Sky" sold 142k in 2 days. "Explorers of Time" (FW = 300k) / "Explorers of Darkness" (FW = 269k).

- "FFVII: ACC" (Blu-ray) sold 275k including bundles.

- Xbox 360 hardware sales pass 1 million after 3 years and 4 months.

Edited by Dante

OK fine take NMH2 off the list, it doesn't do anything to effect my point that it's an awesome year for the Wii!

I love it how the guy said "Wii" instead of "Nintendo". It's still a stupid statement, but it would be even worse if he'd dragged the DS into his shitty little metaphor.

Guess the Monster Hunter franchises isn't having too much difficulty jumping platform afterall.

That hardware list confuzzles me. Is there a special edition PS3 out or something? Or have they mixed up Wii and PS3 numbers perhaps? Just weird how PS3 seems to have no prominent new releases and shoots up to that figure, while Wii gets a pretty big (albeit upcoming at that point) software hit and slumps even further...

Edited by D_prOdigy

Guess the Monster Hunter franchises isn't having too much difficulty jumping platform afterall.

That hardware list confuzzles me. Is there a special edition PS3 out or something?

FFVII: ACC (Blu-ray) + FF13 Demo and PS3 Cloud SE.

The PS2 version opened at 128,051 for its opening week and sold 232,239 lifetime.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

FF:AC + FF13 Demo and PS3 Cloud SE.

The PS2 version opened at 128,051 for its opening week and sold 232,239 lifetime.

If I'm thinking of the right thing, that PS3 ain't even that nice, is it? :sad:

Slap even the crappiest of limited edition designs on a console and the Japanese will buy millions...

They've outsole Gamecube and presumably Xbox LTD figures, they've achieved two thirds of the 360 market. I don't think their doing too badly. That said, their heads are in the clouds.

Yeah exactly, and considering how early they are in the PS3s lifecycle AND the fact it cost more than the Wii and 360 (very hurtful considering we're in recession) it is doing VERY well.

I've played, in total, about 5 hours on the Wii today. I didn't think I had spent that long, but the hours did seem to rack up. I've finally finished RE4, and I've played some Dewy's Adventure, which is pretty cool.

I played the first level, and just thought "ok, I think I've seen most of what this game has to offer" but each level has me re-thinking that, heh. It's very fun.

Righto. Is it heading to Europe/the US?

Well the previous ones made it on PS2 and PSP. So dont see why not. Plus its Capcom. At e3 you might get more news.

If I'm thinking of the right thing, that PS3 ain't even that nice, is it?

Uses some Matte black plastic material. But its limited. The best imo is the gun metal, MGS had that. Looked nice.

Yeah exactly, and considering how early they are in the PS3s lifecycle AND the fact it cost more than the Wii and 360 (very hurtful considering we're in recession) it is doing VERY well.

It isn't doing well AT ALL by Playstation standards. And they might have double the lifecycle of the other consoles but that just means it will be outdated when the others come out.