NEurope

So it's difficult to make an innovative 2d Mario games (assume the same might apply to zelda and metroid then)...

YET

They made NSMB on DS which was absolutely wank? Right.

Its hard for Reggie to say anything nice bout PS3? Seriously theres quite a few aspects of it he could praise, lets not be stupid now!

Maybe its the "hard for me to say something nice because I know I shouldn't" idea....? ::shrugs:

And as far as Mario and Wii Ware maybe he means time would be better spent the team making a new "full" Mario game. Maybe they just see WiiWare as a platform for indie developers to have more of an opportunity.

Maybe they just see WiiWare as a platform for indie developers to have more of an opportunity.

With that said, I still think Sega should make their next Sonic game in 2D and put it up for download instead of retail.

Just received my next lot of games to review for work and while the majority of them are cack, there was a nice little gem in there. Boom Blox. :D Haven't had a chance to play it yet but looking forward to it. Had held off buying it because I wasn't sure about it but getting it for free is a nice bonus. Also got Boogie Superstars which might be fun to play, although it's a dancing/singing game so not looking forward to that too much. But, I shall play Boom Blox later on and hopefully it'll be enjoyable.

Just received my next lot of games to review...

Boom Blox...only now?! What site's this?

I did Boogie2's N-E review. If they fleshed it out and had more tracks you could almost consider it good.

My PET HATE of unlocking stuff in part games - stuff which should be there in the first place (like more than 5 songs to play/stages to play on/game modes) nearly rendered this unplayable.

Have fun. Boom Blox is still awesome.

Yeh they want me to do Boom Blox now when they should have done it after it came out. But then they haven't had a proper Wii game reviewer and so stuff has been getting back logged (which also explains why I had to play RRR TV Party and Tak and the Guardians of Gross a week ago compared to when they should have been done in November) so I'm having to work my way through all of the stuff. Shockingly, they don't have a Brawl review either which I'm rather disgusted about. Will have to have a word with them.

But yeh, look forward to playing Boom Blox. Gonna fired it up in a few minutes and see what all the fuss is about.

Thats quite a backlog there Ganepark, I hope they let you review some recent stuff soon :) is your review work paid btw? if so then that's not so bad but if it's voluntary then at least you will have a stack of games that you could trade in as well as a few to keep anyway.

Yeh I'm not getting paid but they send me a stack of 7 or 8 games ever so often to run through that I get to keep once finished so at least I can trade them in for other things, although they give me a lot of the Zoo Digital shovelware crap (the people who run the site are close to them some how) which can't be traded in and I wouldn't sell it on because it's so bad. So basically have to bin a few of them when finished to prevent others playing this crap. I've been pretty damning of some of the Zoo Digital stuff so far which I doubt has gone down well with the person who's friends with the guys at Zoo Digital but someone needs to tell it like it is. Last decent thing I got to review was Okami and I offered to do that for them back in August last year. Hoping they'll eventually send the likes of Deadly Creatures and, even though it pains me to say it, Sonic and the Black Knight so I have something half decent to review.

Anyways, had a lengthy go on Boom Blox and so far I'm of the opinion that it's ok. Nothing great. I can see it becoming tedious quickly for me, even with th creation tools. Still got a lot of it to play but doubt my opinion will change. Hate it that I'm in this gaming funk as I can't seem to enjoy anything. I couldn't even enjoy playing the likes of Okami or Wind Waker when I tried a few weeks ago. But I have to keep plugging away at games because work demands it. Just need a break really.

Ive just watched the Reggie interview and I love it how Geoff puts him on the spot with E3, Wii Sports Resort and Wiiware. Im glad he doesn't tip toe around him like other interviewers do.

After hearing Reggies comments im hoping that Nintendo have learnt their lesson from last years E3, especially as its back with a bang this year.

Ive just watched the Reggie interview and I love it how Geoff puts him on the spot with E3, Wii Sports Resort and Wiiware. Im glad he doesn't tip toe around him like other interviewers do.

After hearing Reggies comments im hoping that Nintendo have learnt their lesson from last years E3, especially as its back with a bang this year.

Yeah was a good interview; Geoff and Reggie work really well together in interviews.

Heres the summary of the GTTV interview with Reggie.

The inclusion of a Power Up in PunchOut was the only piece of news given? No explanation as to why Nintendo shafts its Western fans, no comment no Fatal Frame? Flimsy Reggie.

Edited by david.dakota

This interveiw was given at GDC, before the FF stuff. I wouldn't say they really shaft their western fans anymore, FF probably wouldn't have sold that great anyways.

Edited by Retro_Link

Did it not sell well there? I thought I loved the series and that's why it was on Wii and eveything?!

Mind you, not many games seem to be doing well in Japan these days! Other than Wii Sports/Play/Fit!

Did it not sell well there?

80k copies i think. RE4 sold about 140k copies in Japan and went on to 1.4 million in the west.

Fatal Frame could get within spitting distance of 1million in the west, i'm sure.

Edited by david.dakota

80k so far in Japan, and that's with an install base with just under 8 million. In the west with 40 mil Wii's, I think it can out sell that amount easily in the same amount of time.

But the Japan market is too busy with casual crap and big named RPGs :heh:

Though the FF and Resi series are in completely different leagues as far as public awareness goes.

But I agree it could probably beat 80k atleast!

I've not seen it yet, but if i were Nintendo, I wouldn't limit something with the appeal of a Mario game to a download service.

VC games are mostly about nostalgia, and the WiiWare is there to, as Tellyn says, "encourage creativity and innovation in bitesize portions".

Now Nintendo has often slapped the Mario face on otherwise risky (for them at least) games in order to give them more appeal. If they did that on on a WiiWare game, do you think it might just devalue the idea of creative titles and new IP - people won't really care about the game, all they care about is that it is Mario.

And if it were a traditional 2D platformer like NSMB, then you also have it it eating away at other companies attempts because it would outsell everything else on the thing by a mile - but still do less than as a fully developed retail game.

In some ways, I admire Nintendo for not flooding the thing with mascot title after mascot title - they are giving other, smaller, companies a chance.

So it's difficult to make an innovative 2d Mario games (assume the same might apply to zelda and metroid then)...

YET

They made NSMB on DS which was absolutely wank? Right.

Maybe I played a different NSMB to the one you did. The one I played was great. :)

The way I see it is that we're treated a new Mario platformer maybe once or twice per generation. Super Mario 64 on N64, Super Mario Sunshine on Cube, and so far, Super Mario Galaxy on Wii. So, I'd expect Nintendo would always be concentrating on bringing the next main platformer to the home console or handheld that is their main focus.

I'd love to have a WiiWare Mario game that was different to the main series, so something like Super Mario RPG, or Mario Paint. They're great ideas, perfect for the way WiiWare works. But, I still think the main focus is that key title, like Mario Galaxy, the one we look forward to at the start of each generation.

So, for me, bringing Mario to WiiWare is fine. But, it'd have to be the 'right' kind of Mario. Would I want a Mario SideScroller similar to NSMB? Hmm, I'd rather that was given more focus and released as a the next edition in the 'main' load of Mario game.

If Nintendo don't want to make a Mario game for Wiiware then thats fine but how about they show some support for the system with another Nintendo franchise or even a new IP.

Yeah, some core support would be pretty good without being hit with the casual nerf stick.

Wiiware Four Swords would be brilliant! And give us a 2d Metroid dammit!

Wiiware Four Swords would be brilliant! And give us a 2d Metroid dammit!

I've been praying for that everyday.

I've been praying for that everyday.

Same here, I think this would be great on WiiWare. Never actually played 4 Swords actually, all the more I want this to happen.

4 swords with online would be amazing no matter what console it was on. I think a 2D metroid game would be more suited to retail though, Imagine a 2D metroid with a brawl art style.