Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

"New Play Control" Games!

Hero-of-Time

That looks a lot better than the other side :heh: ..shame about the 'New Play Control' bit :eek:

I was actually playing Pikmin this morning on the Gamecube : peace: ..only a couple of days in but I have been meaning to start into it for a long time, so I guess now is as good a time as any considering the release of the Wii version :smile:

I feel sad when my Pikmin get eaten :weep: ..but the game seems to have a lot of charm and I can see it being very enjoyable :yay:

I can see what the Wii controls could add to the experience, but it plays perfectly well on the Gamecube so I would never consider making the upgrade :heh:

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing both covers... it makes me wonder why they didn't just use the alternative cover and sod the crap 'default' one, it has all you need to know on the front, it's Pikmin, with new controls (so that small bit of text is necessary) simple as... :blank:

Is this really worth it though? Ever the pessimist but, what exactly is "new way to play" about this? No use of the pointer by the looks of things (correct me if I'm wrong). No updated visuals, no extra gameplay, no bonus disc, no real incentives to buy this when you can get it for GC for about 6.99... Why do you let Nintendo screw you over like this? Remakes are either remade with noteworthy additions (be it visuals or gameplay) or the same title is rereleased with some sort of incentive (eg. FF6 with FF10 demo).

Although I would be excited by the prospects of Wind Waker on Wii, all this just seems like wasted effort and time for much needed work on other projects. Nintendo focuses so much on its past efforts nowadays, as if to admit that its current present form isn't up to scratch.

Would be cool if they did Wind Waker for the Wii and added all the stuff that got left out, surely that would get people enticed to buy it again. I know I would.

You are quite right King V. It's why i'm not exactly in a rush to buy any of these just now. I'll wait in months to come to get it pre-owned/really cheap.

Would be cool if they did Wind Waker for the Wii and added all the stuff that got left out, surely that would get people enticed to buy it again. I know I would.

Yeah, I also wouldn't mind the TP waggle, but the pointer would be its high point.

I thought you directed the pikmin using the I-R pointer?

Can someone confirm this?

I think the reason they're doing this is they only sold 20m GCs, now they've already sold 45m Wiis! There was many many gamers who missed out on these gems last generation - and with the new controls and the price point of £25 - many more people will get to enjoy them now.

I don't have a massive problem with it to be honest - although I feel they should have included more for those who have played them before.

Imagine packaging a Wii version of Metroid Prime Hunters - with 32 player online and all the perks on greatness of COD with a Wii controled re-release of Prime? Awesome! But no, it won't happen.

I think some of this is because Nintendo and 3rd parties were caught off guard by the success of the Wii. Now they're trying to fill the release schedule with decent games. And these are more than decent - they're wonderful, just a shame we've seen them before.

I think some of these games will fare better than others too. The new control scheme will make Metroid an even greater experience - and I for one will be snapping it up. However that might not be the case for Mario Tennis and Donkey Konga, the later would seem awful without the drums.

I'm thinking that Capcom will use the New Play Control label to re-launch Resident Evil 4 again, and maybe bring over Resi 0 (and probably the others as well). They might do it with Okami as well.

Might not be a bad idea for Okami actually, especially if the rest of the range proves to be successful.

New Play is a good way to show the gamers the games from behind the times.

Animal Crossing was a bad way, as it only helps to those who are new to the game.

The "New Play" is a great idea, its a game from the Gamecube that came back for the new fans, and gave excelent (?) controls that are better than the previous game to the new fans.

If the idea goes like what I said before, this will be surely a success for casuals and hardcore.

So is the new Pikmin worth playing even if I had the original on GC? I never really got into it on GC, but I think in my youthful head knowing there was only 30 days to complete the game took the fun out of it and made it more of a march towards the end. By forgetting about that and with the new controls, is it worth a buy?

I've bought it, having played it to death on Cube, and i'm absolutely loving it. Its a joy to revisit, and the controls are superb, improving the experience totally- although i'm finding the alternative to the 'c' stick grouping slightly quirky. In regards to the 30 day cycle, there is a concession in being able to restart from any played day, but i won't be using it.

Heh *high five*

actually I think he was being serious dude although at first it does appear highly sarcastic..

resident evil 0 seems like one of the most stupid ideas for remake... i mean thge game wasn't all that in the first place and controls are impossible to improve

I actually adore Resident Evil 0 (and despite all the baffling hate towards it, so did the press). It's still my favourite Resident Evil game; more refined than REMake; and on the basis that 4 did something quite different with the franchise, taking away the 'survival horror' aspect, and pasting 'killing action' in its place. Don't get me wrong: 4 is a sublime piece of video gaming design, but from a horror fan's point of view, it doesn't satisfy in the way that its predecessors did, and still do.

Yeah I don't think that's even possible for the classic style RE games. I think the pre-rendered assets were created exclusively for standard definition 4:3, they'd probably have to re-render them for widescreen OR crop the game, which would be ass.

Never going to happen. Kind of makes it a bit of a missed opportunity that they didn't take it into account when they designed the REmake though, since I doubt they'll want to do a remake of that magnitude for RE1 ever again.

I actually adore Resident Evil 0 (and despite all the baffling hate towards it, so did the press). It's still my favourite Resident Evil game; more refined than REMake; and on the basis that 4 did something quite different with the franchise, taking away the 'survival horror' aspect, and pasting 'killing action' in its place. Don't get me wrong: 4 is a sublime piece of video gaming design, but from a horror fan's point of view, it doesn't satisfy in the way that its predecessors did, and still do.

I think that, although they probably wouldn't admit it, a lot of fans were probably a bit tired of classic RE by the time of Zero's release. It was another game in the exact same vein and the only thing it was pushing new gameplay wise was the 2 character system, which was pretty controversial. I liked it as a whole I'd say but it could be REALLY annoying having to leave items behind sometimes so I'm not sure if it was for the best, even if it was more realistic than the interlinked item boxes.

I didn't find the characters as compelling as the rest of the games personally. I wasn't particularly keen on James Marcus or Billy Cohen. The story was okay enough but it wasn't overly thrilling.

The leech zombies were pretty cool though, I'll say that much.

well It's still a very good game.. just ... strangely enough didn't feel as fresh as the remake if that makes sense.. the item drop system was just painful for me and the character switching although well implanted loading wise got confusing.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!