NEurope
Chris the great

My swords

Pretty good looking swords, how to you maintain them? Is it just clean and sharpen every couple of months?

I plan on getting a Viking style sword sometimes in the future, mostly because I like how the Vikings really liked to decorate their swords.

Also on the artsy fartsy discussions, all of the arguments seemes to be a couple of guys re-posting what they said over and over just longer until they give up on lengthening their text.

zomg the guy has lots of swords ..big deal.

i have lots of socks.

i think you aaaall just wish that your swords were bigger than his swords so you're pretending to object from the "but is it art?!" standpoint :heh:

5 things i learnt from my art degree:

1. how to spell "design" (there IS no H O_o! who knew?!)

2. the "what is/isn't art" debate is an endless circle and it's MUCH better to just forget it and go get a cup of tea and a biscuit.

3. people like different stuff ~ there is no rhyme or reason behind this, so again it's better to go get a cuppa tea than to argue the matter

4. photoshop is harder than it looks and i have a strange feeling of respect and hatred for those people who make it look easy... damn youuuuu guyyyssss!

5. i like tea more than i like arguing.

:heart: doesnt anyone else collect weird stuff? i dont anymore 'cause i live in a tiny room so i dont own anything that i don't have a USE for... i used to collect windchimes O_o now THERE'S a pointless object. now i just unwillingly collect 1 yen coins. >__<

However, I have yet to see a sword with art on it, as it's adorns aren't signficant, they're simply embelishments. But yes, making a sword is a science, it's an objective proccess devoid of emotion, constrained by the laws of reality. It's a science. Why is that wrong?

h21987161xl9.jpg

I'm sure some emotion went into that.

So I was right and you were wrong? Stop the presses!

Well, yes... you're absolutely right because your point of view defends the subjectivity of the object's beauty while in the artistic context of the beholder, so yes, you've proven me wrong there, as physicall beauty is a subjective matter, there's no objectivity there, and as such, even when devoid of content, one might simulate it unwillingly due to his preferences. As far as beauty from the standpoint of the creator (the artist) goes, I'm still not wrong, though. :D

Stop the presses? Why? I've been proven wrong many times before, in this very forum. All it takes is for you to back your claims with logic and I'll accept them as correct. As was the case. :heh:

Actually, you just said beauty was insignifant generally, and the subject in question had begun to be applied to far more than just art. Besides, you've argued the toss about it here, suggesting you believe you are right in general too.

I love this non-existant me. Quote him, please do, I need to be aware of this split personality problem I have.

As for all the rest, your entire post is one big obssession about outsmarting me, isn't it? So, you pretend I say something I didn't and then fail miserably even at that, as all of your arguments thwarted and collapsed on themselves. And this time is no exception...

Wow, I can't believe you are saying that. Obviously survival of the fittest governed evolution, but to say that physical traits played no part in selection? Every geneticist would laugh at you for saying that.

Who said physicall traits played no part in selection? I said physicall beauty played no part in evolution, and it didn't. It played a part, however, in the last phase of our evolution, like I said: "only when we became intelligent did we start defying nature" I'll get to that in a sec:

One strikingly obvious example is blonde hair. Blonde hair grants no physical advantage, but it was selected for in the past by males. By this way, more blonde-haired people existed (particularly in European territories) due to the increase of these genes in the gene pool.

Good example. Very good example. You're absolutely right, there. :)

And how is that contradictory to anything I said? Hair colour isn't evolution, that's demographics, blondes aren't an evolved form of life, they're just like you and me. How exactly does that defend your claim that selection by beauty, and I quote "allowed us to survive until this day"? The only good point you made was the one about the deformities (which is strikingly obvious, seen that they're... well... deformed, and therefore can't do basic things to ensure their own survival), and that one has nothing to do with beauty.

Entirely irrelevant to the point at hand - you exclaimed that all beauty was insignificant, so I only needed to provide one point to disprove that. It had a significant effect in the determination of the human race.

No. It had a significant effect in the determination of human demographics. The race is the same. It's the same species. What beauty changed was the percentage of blondes in demographics and many other things, I'm sure... but it never changed human evolution, which is all I ever even talked about.

Umm, take a look at the number of posts you have in this topic and how long they usually are.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that I have a passion for arguing. :heh: You seem to be doing this out of spite, though. : peace:

h21987161xl9.jpg

You didn't get it yet, did you? Art is not about the emotion that goes into making something, it's defined by the emotion that comes out of it. Which in this case is nothing. What message does this deliver us? What point does it make? What does it mean?

You didn't get it yet, did you? Art is not about the emotion that goes into making something, it's defined by the emotion that comes out of it. Which in this case is nothing. What message does this deliver us? What point does it make? What does it mean?

But you said...

But yes, making a sword is a science, it's an objective proccess devoid of emotion, constrained by the laws of reality.

I'm saying emotion probably went into the making of that sword.

The sword or the adorns?

Swords don't convey shit... They're pretty and "ooh" worthy, but they don't convey emotions... Like, at all... Unless you're talking about the artistic decoration on the swords, which would, in itself, be sculptures.

If the adorns and the sword were made by the same person, then yes, emotion went into making it. You're very much right. : peace:

probably despair and hatred of fine detailing ... eyestrainingly good carftmanship for a stabby stick tho ^_^

And how is that contradictory to anything I said? Hair colour isn't evolution, that's demographics

Of course hair colour is evolution. As a cell biology graduate I'd be pretty much made of fail if I didn't know what I was saying here. Evolution is the accumulation of mutated genes, ie. alleles (the same genes with slight variances, resulting in a different genotype) in the gene pool. Blonde hair resulted from the mutation of genes coding for hair colour; this phenotype (blonde hair itself) was then selected for by men to increase the number of these alleles in the gene pool.

Evolution doesn't need to be something obvious like growing arms. It can be anything that gives a particular edge to fitness (ie. the ability to pass ones genes). In the case of blonde women in the past, it clearly assisted in passing their genes, increasing their fitness.

No. It had a significant effect in the determination of human demographics. The race is the same. It's the same species. What beauty changed was the percentage of blondes in demographics and many other things, I'm sure... but it never changed human evolution, which is all I ever even talked about.

Again, not true, as blonde hair is not the only example. The selection of traits also applied to physical features, not just something like hair. And like I've said, the de-selection of practically 'deformed' (or 'ugly') organisms led species away from breeding with those potentially ill-fated (or those that would produce 'bad' offspring).

I love this non-existant me. Quote him, please do, I need to be aware of this split personality problem I have.

Meaning is conceptual significance. Beauty has no conceptual significance. That's all I'm saying. Beauty is insignificant and unnecessary. If beauty is paramount to you, you're shallow, that's all I'm saying. And that's all crystal clear.

Right, with that I think it is time for bed. Yeh, 7:30AM isn't ideal. But games like spore have taken my time. Damn it.

id never hurt yoshi!

i was sick on him when drunk once.

best drunken purcase of my life.

You bought a yoshi just to throw up on him?

As for the swords thing, I can kinda see the appeal, I've always wanted one myself, but luckily I'm too tight fisted and not passionate enough to actually get one, but I'd definitely want to learn something like iaido if I got a katana. Man, knowing how to look cool with a sword would be well cool! I know lots of people will probably take issue with such an attitude, but I feel it's something so totally pointless and irrelevant to my everyday/daily life that it's worth knowing just for shits and giggles, same as knowing to solve a rubik's cube. I am also in awe of the fact that something such as a sword, complex and simple at the same time can be so devastating. Basically, it's a really sharp piece of metal, yet totally destructive if used properly.

Swordplay isn't art. Oo

Swordplay is a martial art. Right there in the English language. Martial art. Argue back all you want but I'll take the words of the writers of the greatest dictionaries over you any day. Sorry you can't win this one.

I've never owned a true sword, I need three years of training with the broadsword and four with the battlefield sword before I am allowed to own a practical one. But even the cheap blunt swords I practice with now are at least a part of the art: the relationship with the sword and its wielder, the space they share, the advantages and disadvantages to the co-operation, the power they lend each other and the discipline inherent in familiarizing with one another. Additionally the symbolism of the sword in Chinese culture especially (a vast majority of traditional houses hang them in the main room as a sign of protection against evil spirits and danger in a physical form) means that every sword, even though most are not art in there own right (though some are as a result of the forging process, which if you've never seen you'll never understand) are at least a part of the art.

Pretty good looking swords, how to you maintain them? Is it just clean and sharpen every couple of months?

I plan on getting a Viking style sword sometimes in the future, mostly because I like how the Vikings really liked to decorate their swords.

they need alot of care. i used to use an oil on them, which took awhile to apply and because of how much i handle them, i was applying it every coule of weeks. now i have a wax i use, its much easier, just a single coat and its good for a few decades. if you want, you can remove it with spirits, oiling is more satisfying, but crouching over a razor edge with a cotton bud and oil every few weeks can be time consuming, dont wanna lose a finger.

and i'm considering a viking sword as my next big buy. this bad boy has caught my eye

1010-GT_L.jpg

Swordplay is a martial art. Right there in the English language. Martial art. Argue back all you want but I'll take the words of the writers of the greatest dictionaries over you any day. Sorry you can't win this one.

I've never owned a true sword, I need three years of training with the broadsword and four with the battlefield sword before I am allowed to own a practical one. But even the cheap blunt swords I practice with now are at least a part of the art: the relationship with the sword and its wielder, the space they share, the advantages and disadvantages to the co-operation, the power they lend each other and the discipline inherent in familiarizing with one another. Additionally the symbolism of the sword in Chinese culture especially (a vast majority of traditional houses hang them in the main room as a sign of protection against evil spirits and danger in a physical form) means that every sword, even though most are not art in there own right (though some are as a result of the forging process, which if you've never seen you'll never understand) are at least a part of the art.

where do you train with swords? as much as i've looked, i can never find anything that will give me a go. probly just as well. im clumbsy as fuck.

as for being alowed a broadsword, whos rule is that under? legaly, you could buy one today, no licence required.

:heart: doesnt anyone else collect weird stuff? i dont anymore 'cause i live in a tiny room so i dont own anything that i don't have a USE for... i used to collect windchimes O_o now THERE'S a pointless object. now i just unwillingly collect 1 yen coins. >__<

I collect jokers and salsa pot lids. ^_^

where do you train with swords? as much as i've looked, i can never find anything that will give me a go. probly just as well. im clumbsy as fuck.

as for being alowed a broadsword, whos rule is that under? legaly, you could buy one today, no licence required.

I learnt all I know in China. Sorry about that, and I don't know of anyone in England who'll teach you (well apart from me, but i'm a distance away). Those are the Chinese arts though. The only other classes i've heard of were classic Japanese sword drawing that a mate of mine learnt in Manhattan.

And the rules come from my Master. I actually own a broadsword and longsword (and other weapons) already, but they're merely for practice. Once I am competent in their use i'm allowed a real sword, but not before then. Those are the rules.

And you know, you don't have to swear all the time :P It makes you seem like you're getting angry and worked up over matters so trivial!

Are you jealous because he can do it sober? :heh:

h21987161xl9.jpg

Emotion, no. The maker did it for the money.

the relationship with the sword and its wielder, the space they share, the advantages and disadvantages to the co-operation

Oh no... you're not pulling that being one with the sword crap are you?

Oh no... you're not pulling that being one with the sword crap are you?

Hell yeah baby, I also get to do the warrior speech from the new Rambo. It's part of the package.

Are you jealous because he can do it sober? :heh:

lol. That's the point! Nobody understands just how deep, self-conscious, complex and multi-layered my drunken posts are. They're all about cheese and nobody's spotted that yet.

I learnt all I know in China. Sorry about that, and I don't know of anyone in England who'll teach you (well apart from me, but i'm a distance away). Those are the Chinese arts though. The only other classes i've heard of were classic Japanese sword drawing that a mate of mine learnt in Manhattan.

And the rules come from my Master. I actually own a broadsword and longsword (and other weapons) already, but they're merely for practice. Once I am competent in their use i'm allowed a real sword, but not before then. Those are the rules.

ah, i see. i assumed you ment a europian broadsword :p.

theres a beautiful chinese sword in the leeds armory, i'll try and find a picture later.

Evolution doesn't need to be something obvious like growing arms. It can be anything that gives a particular edge to fitness (ie. the ability to pass ones genes). In the case of blonde women in the past, it clearly assisted in passing their genes, increasing their fitness.

I don't really get what you mean by "gives a particular edge to their fitness"... And as far as I'm concerned, I've always been thought that evolution pre-supposes an improvement, like being born without wisdom teeth or so... blondness isn't an improvement, nor can I imagine anything derived of selection from beauty being evolution in my sense of the word. =) But hey, show me that evolution isn't what I think it is, and I'll grant thee rightness.

As a cell biology graduate I'd be pretty much made of fail if I didn't know what I was saying here. Evolution is the accumulation of mutated genes, ie. alleles (the same genes with slight variances, resulting in a different genotype) in the gene pool. Blonde hair resulted from the mutation of genes coding for hair colour; this phenotype (blonde hair itself) was then selected for by men to increase the number of these alleles in the gene pool.

Yes, I know... I studied that in high school, and so did you, I assume. I'm not even contesting that, all I'm saying is, as far as I'm concerned, that's not evolution, and if it is, my concept of evolution is flawed.

Again, not true, as blonde hair is not the only example. The selection of traits also applied to physical features, not just something like hair. And like I've said, the de-selection of practically 'deformed' (or 'ugly') organisms led species away from breeding with those potentially ill-fated (or those that would produce 'bad' offspring).

Okay, cell biology graduate or not, I'm sorry, but that one (the deformity one) has nothing to do with beauty, it's clearly a case of survivall of the fittest, not because they look better, but because they have far more capable surviving skills. Seriously, am I wrong, here?

Ah, as for your quote of me, learn to read me right, and don't take things out of context... when I used that in answering someone who was talking about beauty in artistic context why the fuck would that be a statement refering to beauty overall? oO Seriously, don't try and make me look like a fool, I know what I said and it's quite clear in every single step of the way that I was talking about beauty in arts, that's where all the discussion came from. :blank: I may be an idiot, but I'm neither dumb nor stupid.

I've already won it. It's not artistisc art. It's as much of an art as cooking arts. You're talking about traits, not fine arts. By the way, look up the definition of "fine arts" and then think about that "fine" part and why it's there. There are only 7 arts, that's a known and proven fact by historians worldwide, it's probably the first thing I ever got lectured about when studying history of the arts... "the definition of art". Go look it up. If you can find a single history of the arts class which even approaches industrial or functional arts, I commend thee. Those are crafts, skills, call them what you want, but they're not art in it's primal meaning.

I never really liked chinese and japonese martial arts, too much of a philosophy, why won't they admit it's just a training to be able to defend yourself and hurt others? That's why I love Kickboxing and Muay Thai and such, there's no pretension there, just raw pumping of flesh accepted for what it is, not an over-glorified mess.

I've already won it. It's not artistisc art. It's as much of an art as cooking arts. You're talking about traits, not fine arts. By the way, look up the definition of "fine arts" and then think about that "fine" part and why it's there. There are only 7 arts, that's a known and proven fact by historians worldwide, it's probably the first thing I ever got lectured about when studying history of the arts... "the definition of art". Go look it up. If you can find a single history of the arts class which even approaches industrial or functional arts, I commend thee. Those are crafts, skills, call them what you want, but they're not art in it's primal meaning..

I wasn't arguing whether it was an 'artistic' art, and no i'm not talking about fine arts. I'm talking about martial arts.

A quick look in the Oxford dictionary provides two definitions of the word art that can apply to the martial arts themselves.

4 (arts) subjects of study primarily concerned with human culture

Most schools of the martial arts teach that learning to be a great fighter comes second to learning how to become a great human being, and the elements of human culture that allow this.

5 a skill

Well that's pretty obvious isn't it.

I never really liked chinese and japonese martial arts, too much of a philosophy, why won't they admit it's just a training to be able to defend yourself and hurt others? That's why I love Kickboxing and Muay Thai and such, there's no pretension there, just raw pumping of flesh accepted for what it is, not an over-glorified mess.

Wow, you know your movies but you know shit all about the martial arts. Firstly Muay Thai does have all that 'philosophy' and stuff beyond what you saw in Ong Bak and now makes you think your an expert on. In fact the art of Muay Thai is extensive and contains multiple progressions, meditations, internal styles and theories.

Also, that 'pretension' you refer to is a major cornerstone of Eastern culture, containing wisdom and learning passed down over thousands of years on the subject of human nature and the natural laws. If I were you I would really refrain from commenting on, especially degrading something you have never studied and don't understand.

If you'd like to learn more about it I could refer you to some reading.

In some ways collecting swords feels funny. But only if it's like medieval swords, somewhat still covered dust and spiderwebs. And not displayed, just lyring about.

Japanese/samurai feels a bit cliched, let's all hold our hands up and be honest about it.

In some ways collecting swords feels funny. But only if it's like medieval swords, somewhat still covered dust and spiderwebs. And not displayed, just lyring about.

Japanese/samurai feels a bit cliched, let's all hold our hands up and be honest about it.

hows it cliche? i respect the huge effort that goes into sword making, especialy in the japanese style. having an object both beautiful and terrible on display neatly demonstrates my view on human, as well as the rush you get from a good cut.

many people do collect samurai swords, but id wager 80% belive it will slice through a tree, or that it has been folded hundreds of times to make it super strong. i have several books on the suject of the samurai and thier weapons. to call my collection cliche is like saying my favorite game being oot is cliche.

Yeah, I do agree with you, but I suppose because I'm not as fascinated by them, I'm taking it on face value, and I'm bored of japan/anime/swords/rpgs/ninjas in general.

I'd prefer to collect Halberds.