N-Europe

Obama -VS- McCain Choose your Poison!

Pit-Jr

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they took it rather well - they called Ohio for Obama before anyone else, so they must have seen it as a landslide.

Nah MSNBC called it for him first actually and once Fox called Ohio they completely ignored the election for the next hour and just talked about the race for the senate. Love how the republican party are blaming the loss on Bush.

I mean the only reason they lost was because of Bush.

Definitely not because they had some right wing nutjob waiting in the wings to get her finger on the button if/when the old guy croaked it. Would love to know whose idea it was really to give Palin the vice president nomination because I really doubt it was McCain's idea.

I mean the only reason they lost was because of Bush.

Definitely not because they had some right wing nutjob waiting in the wings to get her finger on the button if/when the old guy croaked it. Would love to know whose idea it was really to give Palin the vice president nomination because I really doubt it was McCain's idea.

Haha, if they think its the only reason...then they're only deluding themselves!

I dread to think what it would actually be like if Palin had actually got in, now.

Assassination is probably the most likely it has been for any President since JFK was shot. The security surrounding him must be unbelievable.

But I think this presidency will be good for America and the rest of the world, I think his foreign poliy will stand to him as something that reclaims respect for America as a leader after their superpower status seems to have been dealt a serious blow in the past 8 years.

(Also congrats to him and his family)

Tell you what was amazing: Going from Obama's speech to Bush's congratulations thing. Really highlighted what a bumbling idiot the man looks on a podium.

The "A More Perfect Union" speech Obama gave after the Rev. Wright scandal I sincerely believe is one of the best speeches I have ever heard - not loud loud or sweeping, but immensely powerful and provocative. Steady, intelligent, composed, worldly and educated, this is the speech that really made sit up and take notice of him for the first time.

I'm not a fan of all these crazy CG doo-dads myself. A pair of coloured bars with numbers on top next to the pundit's desk would have done me. I enjoyed ITV's uncharacteristically simplistic setup - One pollster, a number box and Jon Culshaw. The interactive touchscreen was just there to keep Alistair Stewart happy.

I like the idea, but its not a real hologram, more like reality augmentation.

About the assassination thing, did anyone notice the bullet proof glasses in his victory speech? I never even thought of someone assassinating him so soon and he was already in a glass dome.

I like the idea, but its not a real hologram, more like reality augmentation.

About the assassination thing, did anyone notice the bullet proof glasses in his victory speech? I never even thought of someone assassinating him so soon and he was already in a glass dome.

It's pretty standard protocol for any major American politician who's making an outdoor speech. There are psychos out there and it's just part of the protection that they need.

I watched some of that speech, Gaggle, but it wasn't just the length that put me off - it was just soo... american. David Cameron put accross a couple of similarly wordy speeches which really did nothing but mesmerise and subdue the listeners into hearing a fairy-tale-like smorgasboard of nonsense. Is it just an america thing that requires their leaders to be so ungrounded in reality? Their presidents must be avatars - symbols of greatness or whatever. I... I don't know. I have an issue with authority, I think. Bleh. I don't even know what I'm trying to say!

Tell you what was amazing: Going from Obama's speech to Bush's congratulations thing. Really highlighted what a bumbling idiot the man looks on a podium.
To be honest, I think Bush made a nice speech there. Obama's has some outstanding rhetoric skills, but Bush really isn't bad.

I agree with Jayseven, too. Presidents must be inspiring or something, but a similar speech would be unthinkable here.

I watched some of that speech, Gaggle, but it wasn't just the length that put me off - it was just soo... american. David Cameron put accross a couple of similarly wordy speeches which really did nothing but mesmerise and subdue the listeners into hearing a fairy-tale-like smorgasboard of nonsense. !

How is it nonsense? He talks about the need for serious debate on race, that the hurts of the past can't simply be covered up and ignored even while we try to push forward, and that the pain of the white working class must also be addressed even when they pin it on issues such as immigration. British politicians try to copy him, but I believe that it is a lack of this kind of meaningful rhetoric in the political domain which has left the British populace apathetic, cynical and divided.

The whole point of the speech was that we can't just build some kind of fairy tale new society over the old, we have to address the issues, the divisions, the pain and the fear, because they are real, and only by dragging those problems out into the open can we begin to build a better society, and even then it will not happen quickly. This is no fairy tale, this is cold stone reality.

I don't think it's the lack of rhetoric like this that has left the british public jaded about such speeches. I think it's more about the american public's attitude about what it is to be an american that is what we can't replicate. It's strength through diversity, but only to a certain excent. I guess I'm not having a go at Obama or the US citizens, more just the general tribal mentality that humans seem to oh so desperately need in order to exist in some sort of bubbled harmony.

I'm not having ago at what he's saying - these issues and whatnot. I'm highlighting the way he says it, the psychology behind it. I'm pondering on why there is a necessity for it. I'm trying to keep the idea in my head that nothing is black and white (excuse the punz), so why is his speech necessarily honest, helpful and clever? Are we applauding his hypnotism of the majority of the public?

The guy's a symbol. That's all a president needs to be, and I think that's fine. Perhaps the only way we can all get along is if we all end up agreeing on how to interpret this world of symbols and abstractions.

This post could've been in any thread, spun from any irrelevant point. It's not really a very good post because I don't know what I'm trying to say. I'm just emptying my head a little. I don't like the way the world operates... the way people operate. There's nothing I can do about it, and even if there was there's not neccessarily any purpose or reason for me to change anything.

I DON'T KNOW. I should probably just shut up and go to sleep.

Apparently the CIA don't see Obama lasting more than two years before he's assinated. Basically, if it's planned well enough there's shit all the CIA can do about it. He's being briefed today by the CIA about "important/classified information".

Then again, there are those people that believe that if anyone does assinate him it'll be the CIA themselves. Much like the whole Kennedy debacle.

If it does happen, America will of hit a new low. I mean, there would be riots everywhere.