N-Europe

North vs South

navarre

North or South?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. North or South?

• North
    • South

And you're not seeing the counter argument. There is more to Britain than North vs South. What if someone wanted to live in Birmingham? To some that would be North, to some South. There is no hard and fast line as to where the divide is, and it is by the most part personal opinion.

Likewise there are those who don't wish to live in Britain/England at all. And yes they could just sod off, its not the purpose of this thread, but really why did it need to be so specific? Why couldn't it be "where would you like to live?" It just seems a way of enforcing and peddling out stereotypes over this theoretical north/south divide.

It's a bit of fun. Specificness would ruin that fun.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness to this poll, it is giving you two options. You either vote North, or you vote South. There is no Midlands, or Wales, or Scotland, or the Faroe Islands in this poll, because they're not options.

Just like if there was a poll over whether you loved Coca Cola or Fanta. You can't vote for Pepsi or 7UP because they're not options, they're not part of the poll. So, you look at the choices and choose out of the two available.

It ain't hard people. Stop complicating things by bringing all this "MIDLANDS rOxOrz" bollocks. It ain't part of the poll, bitches!

Just like if there was a poll over whether you loved Coca Cola or Fanta. You can't vote for Pepsi or 7UP because they're not options, they're not part of the poll. So, you look at the choices and choose out of the two available.

The numerous times the Coke vs Pepsi topic has come up its always led to "Neither, I like xx" and even "Tescos branded Cola is better than Coca Cola" etc.

Shit happens.

The numerous times the Coke vs Pepsi topic has come up its always led to "Neither, I like xx" and even "Tescos branded Cola is better than Coca Cola" etc.

Shit happens.

But then you're breaking the rules, and therefore it just fucks up the poll. I mean, in the next census, we're not going to see sheets of paper stapled onto the forms where people have created their own tick boxes for them to tick, are we? :heh:

Meh, I still stand by my thought. The dude did give you two options, and it was part of an age old argument, so let it be. If you prefer one or the other, then vote one. If you prefer the Midlands, or Scotland, and you don't want to choose North or South, then don't vote. It's simple really. :heh: It's pretty much like all these "R.I.P." threads where so and so has died, yet people post "I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS."

Thanks for that, but...just because a thread is there, doesn't mean it needs to be posted in. :heh:

But then you're breaking the rules, and therefore it just fucks up the poll. I mean, in the next census, we're not going to see sheets of paper stapled onto the forms where people have created their own tick boxes for them to tick, are we? :heh:

Meh, I still stand by my thought. The dude did give you two options, and it was part of an age old argument, so let it be. If you prefer one or the other, then vote one. If you prefer the Midlands, or Scotland, and you don't want to choose North or South, then don't vote. It's simple really. :heh: It's pretty much like all these "R.I.P." threads where so and so has died, yet people post "I DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS."

Thanks for that, but...just because a thread is there, doesn't mean it needs to be posted in. :heh:

You compared the census to an internet forum poll...?

My point still holds up. It seems like a thinly veiled disguse to rehash old sterotypes and prejudices about people from the south and north.

Im just concerned how where I live has been vanished. And from a semantical point it makes no sense to exclude it. 'North' or what? Surely anything that isn't above will be south. But then theres no yardstick. In Manchester Birmingham is south, yet in London its north. Unless theres some defined starting point (which my arguement states should be the midlands, which granted is in itself a loose term unless we just use the four named -'Midlands' counties) its all relative and thus this thread is useless as everyone will have different definitions.

(and for the record I didn't vote anyway)

You compared the census to an internet forum poll...?

My point still holds up. It seems like a thinly veiled disguse to rehash old sterotypes and prejudices about people from the south and north.

Im just concerned how where I live has been vanished. And from a semantical point it makes no sense to exclude it. 'North' or what? Surely anything that isn't above will be south. But then theres no yardstick. In Manchester Birmingham is south, yet in London its north. Unless theres some defined starting point (which my arguement states should be the midlands, which granted is in itself a loose term unless we just use the four named -'Midlands' counties) its all relative and thus this thread is useless as everyone will have different definitions.

(and for the record I didn't vote anyway)

It's comparable. You can't make up your own options just because you didn't like any of the available ones. :heh:

Well, that's probably what is was anyway, we all knew what we were letting ourselves in for. The North/South debate has gone on for many years, and will probably be going on for many more.

But then, do we have to include Wales? And then Scotland? and then Ireland? And then France? Then what about Spain, the Channel Islands? Mars. :heh: To be fair, it wasn't about if you like where you were living, it was whether you prefered the North of the County or the South. Even if you've lived in Scotland your whole life, you might still have a preference over which one you prefer more, and your own reasons.

If you agree that the Midlands is the middle, then surely this poll is asking "Do you prefer life above the midlands or below the midlands?" Which, again, is valid, right? Sure, you could argue that there really is no definitive starting and finishing point for the North or the South, but then that's gotta come down to the opinions of the people, which is what a poll is anyway, a way of recording opinions, in the form of votes.

If you agree that the Midlands is the middle, then surely this poll is asking "Do you prefer life above the midlands or below the midlands?" Which, again, is valid, right?

Yes that makes sense, but Naveare has actually said to pretend like the Midlands doesn't exist. Its just plain rude is what it is :p

(and im an admin, I can make up my own options :p (as in literally I can edit the poll))

Yes that makes sense, but Naveare has actually said to pretend like the Midlands doesn't exist. Its just plain rude is what it is :p

(and im an admin, I can make up my own options :p (as in literally I can edit the poll))

If we pretend that the Midlands doesn't exist, does this mean that I win this debate by default? If so, then it sooo doesn't exist, maaaan. ;)

Oh noes, teh thought police! :heh:

Has anyone noticed that even though the Midlands is a term used, people are only ever north of south of the middle line of England. Except maybe a very small number of people who live on this line. So even if you're Midlands, if you're a bit higher than the middle then vote North. :p

The poll makes sense as most people talk about the 'North-South' divide, and this addresses that. If we suddenly started including options like Midlands, Ireland, Wales etc., it wouldn't be a topic duelling the commonly engaged North and South, rather a 'where do you come from?' topic.

If you agree that the Midlands is the middle, then surely this poll is asking "Do you prefer life above the midlands or below the midlands?" Which, again, is valid, right?

But the midlands does not exist?!

Isn't that right Flinky

There is no Midlands

WE'RE LIVING IN A PARADOX WARP THINGY!

OK having just been to London:

fine, you win. It's great. Now shut up till I can scrape the cash to live there.

I'm used to people complimenting me on my city; alas, it's pointless. I'm actually from Oxford.

In regards to the poll, Ashley, if you really, really want, you can change it (you shouldn't need my permission, but you have my consent).

Yes that makes sense, but Naveare has actually said to pretend like the Midlands doesn't exist. Its just plain rude is what it is

Not pretend that it doens't exist, just categorise it into your own category, and vote.

North is clearly winning... despite our chavs and inbreeding.

The only reason why it's winning is because there are more people from the North on n-europe than the south. I guess nobody goes outside up north for fear of being stabbed (joking, just in case someone was going to take it seriously)

The only reason why it's winning is because there are more people from the North on n-europe than the south. I guess nobody goes outside up north for fear of being stabbed (joking, just in case someone was going to take it seriously)

Or the southerners on here hate the south so much they voted north.