NEurope
MoogleViper

IT'S HAVE!!!

That annoys me, too. I would of started a thread about it, but I was too lazy.

Wait, "Would of" is actually correct for certain dialects? What are those? I never learned such a difference in my english classes.

And I get the reason people make mistakes, but spoken=/=written. A reason is not an excuse.

I meen, if eat werent 4 grammer rulz, weed b writin woarse then een utube commants. (Notice how that sentence is (almost) phonetically right)

Wait, "Would of" is actually correct for certain dialects? What are those? I never learned such a difference in my english classes.

I'm fairly sure that it's "Would've" that is used in those dialects.

It's not necessarily that it's accepted as grammatically correct, it's simply that we define what is grammatically correct by whatever we use. The more people say things, the more they are accepted. They're listed firstly in the dictionary as 'slang' then 'alternatives' then eventually just... listed. That's how our language grows.*

* post contains heavy exaggeration

Linguistically, it most definitely is, simply because some people think it's correct.

That pisses me of too :s

There are a few others which i hate such as lose-loose and to-too.

I sometimes do it, but its usually a typo...

If you get everybody to use have/of in the correct manner THEN i'LL STOP CAPITALISING.

Deal my friend.

You know, i say it all the fucking time.

I'm a total grammar nazi when it comes to text... but in real life my stupid, retarded, utter shit, bollocking cock of a diolect (sp) makes me say 'of'.

Of course, it's only natural. Don't feel down about it, fellow!

1) "Me and Joe are going to the shops." No, Joe and I are going to the shops.

2) "Another new feature in iPhone 3G"

Correct statement should be: "Another new feature in the iPhone 3G

It's not a human, please don't treat it as such.

3) "I'm going to turn the cooker of"

Correction: "I'm going to turn the cooker off"

4) Using "assume" and "presume" interchangeably:

Assume should be used when there is no proof of the matter.

Presume should be used when there is a basis of probability.

5) "alot"

It's two words, "a lot".

6) "It" is a pronoun and should not have an apostrophe when it's plural.

(And yes, I did get that right as I was using "it's" as a contraction of "it is")

1) "Me and Joe are going to the shops." No, Joe and I are going to the shops.

2) "Another new feature in iPhone 3G"

Correct statement should be: "Another new feature in the iPhone 3G

It's not a human, please don't treat it as such.

3) "I'm going to turn the cooker of"

Correction: "I'm going to turn the cooker off"

4) Using "assume" and "presume" interchangeably:

Assume should be used when there is no proof of the matter.

Presume should be used when there is a basis of probability.

5) "alot"

It's two words, "a lot".

6) "It" is a pronoun and should not have an apostrophe when it's plural.

(And yes, I did get that right as I was using "it's" as a contraction of "it is")

Surely the assume and presume part could then just be argued about?

Surely the assume and presume part could then just be argued about?

Recently they've become interchangeable but the proper meaning is as I had it down there and should only be used as such. :)

Recently they've become interchangeable but the proper meaning is as I had it down there and should only be used as such. :)

That's not cut of you.

And by not cut, I of course mean the "proper" meaning of nice.

Many spelling mistakes here come from people who actually speak english as their mother tongue. A few annoying examples:

-"Would of" annoys me, because a "v" and an "f" aren't that similar. It's like somebody started using it to be funny, and people catched ( caught ) on. (reminds me of "Há-des" in Portuguese)

-Confusing "accept" with "except". How the f*** can someone confuse two words that have completely different meanings? Their pronounciation ( pronunciation ) isn't that similar either. It's unexceptable! ( unacceptable ) :indeed:

Surprised nobody mentioned that lot, unless there was a regional allowance!

People say "I lent it from my mate" instead of borrowed it, to reverse what someone said earlier. One that bugs me is when people say "you're joking me!" when it should be "you're kidding me" or "you're joking!"

Yes, it's the sound of the two letters which causes the "laziness."

Surprised nobody mentioned that lot, unless there was a regional allowance!

You DO know the "unexceptable" was intentional, right? There's a smiley in there. (The other 2 were, in fact, stupid mistakes. :heh:)

I am here as a representative of my group to announce this message to you grammar fanatics.

We don´t care

Signed: People who use incorrect grammar

I'm sure I use it too, but it's just language developing over time, and the fact that forums use formal writing/written form to convey casual speech.

I'm sure I use it too, but it's just language developing over time, and the fact that forums use formal writing/written form to convey casual speech.

It's really not. Using "of" instead of "have" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Fair enough "assume" and "presume", that is acceptable to use them interchangeably, but "of" and "have" isn't!

On a side note, its funny how many members in the xkcd forums have avatars with math graphics, genes, covers of weird books and art.

On topic, the only thing I have found to annoy when reading something is non-capital "I"s, it breaks my reading. Using apostrophe to put something in plural also grinds my gears.

I usually make mistakes such as using "were" and "where" or "your" and "you're" interchangeably. I've been trying to correct does.

On topic, the only thing I have found to annoy when reading something is non-capital "I"s, it breaks my reading. Using apostrophe to put something in plural also grinds my gears.

It's perfectly acceptable to use an apostrophe to make a plural out of an abbreviated item. For instance CD's and TV's and even No.'s...it just looks wrong any other way and you're showing a break from the abbreviated letters and a new letter purpose.