Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you didn't see Carew miss hit a ball right in front of goal.

Of course I saw it, I was watching the bloody game on Sky.

I didn't even realise he had missed such a gaping chance today because I didn't see the game earlier. After watching MotD just further proves my point that he is an utter waste of space.

This post is utter bollocks.

Milan Baros was the waste of space twat, then we got shot of him and got Carew in exchange.

Compare Carew to Baros and eat your words, both of you.

Goddamn I hate arguing with idiots. :nono:

I'm sorry, but Carew just doesn't cut it. He somehow made it into the hearts of Villa fans but every time I've seen him he has been shite. Bad control, can't take players on and doesn't know where the goal is. 1 on 1 he's a laughing stock. Misses like today prove this typicality.

I'm sorry, but Carew just doesn't cut it. He somehow made it into the hearts of Villa fans but every time I've seen him he has been shite. Bad control, can't take players on and doesn't know where the goal is. 1 on 1 he's a laughing stock. Misses like today prove this typicality.

He does know where the goal is. He put the ball in there 11 times in 26 league appearances this season. Gabby scored as many in more games but Carew found the net thrice in cup games as well.

All in all, Carew scored 14 goals this season. Top scorer. And to us, who haven't had a decent, consistent striker since Dwight Yorke, that's something.

Edited by Roostophe

Today was a pleasing result for the game against Hull. I hope anyone who had any doubts about Fergie actually watched the game and saw how we played. To say that these guys are young is one thing, but to say that they played with such maturity and conviction is another. Our left back today has barely even kicked a ball with the likes of Wes Brown or Darren Fletcher, but he came in today and did a very, very good job. He's Belgian, too, so I gave Ine a little message to say "yaaaaaay" haha.

I thought Gibson's strike was excellent, and you can definitely tell that the team was missing that little bit of experience, particularly defensively once or twice, with Rafael getting caught out slightly, or Neville making a tiny mistake or two. But, I don't think Hull every really made us panic, bar a shot or two. Saying that, we didn't create as much as we would have liked, but the goal was enough. Gibson and then Possebon totally bossed the midfield when they came on. If this is our "reserve" team, then....I can't fucking wait for next season.

I'm sorry to see West Brom, Boro and Newcastle go down, but that's the way the league works. I think it'll be good for each team, as they'll only come back stronger, particularly Newcastle. I've been feeling it for a while with them, and there's just no structure or leadership in the team at the moment. They choose when they want to play, and that's not right. You play every game of the season like it's your last, that's fighting spirit. If anything, I'd like to see some hunger at the club, to just see some players who want to play football and want to impress. If Newcastle can sustain this, they'll come back up in no time.

With Boro and West Brom, I feel that they'll probably be one of these teams that'll yo-yo for a while. Apparantly West Brom have been up and down 3 times in 6 years, is that correct? If anything, they just need to build a solid squad, and to ensure that they're not too easy to beat. Boro couldn't score this season if their life depended on it, and yet they let in too many goals at the other end. They need to tighten up there, and bring in some players who can score goals. Not only a striker, but players who can provide goals from all over the place.

Byebye Premier League of this season. It's been great, and I can't wait to see you again.

Man U aren't the only one with a good reserve team.

Villa's reserves are national champions. Proud History, Bright Future! :grin:

I think Newcastle could bounce back up. But they need to sort out what goes on behind closed doors. I don't know if Shearer will stay, or if Kinnear will come back. But if they sort out the ownership and the running of the club and make it run smooth and stable. Then they could come back.

Although I do wonder how empty St James' Park will be next season. Time to see if the Geordies really are as loyal as they say...

Man U aren't the only one with a good reserve team.

Villa's reserves are national champions. Proud History, Bright Future! :grin:

I think Newcastle could bounce back up. But they need to sort out what goes on behind closed doors. I don't know if Shearer will stay, or if Kinnear will come back. But if they sort out the ownership and the running of the club and make it run smooth and stable. Then they could come back.

Although I do wonder how empty St James' Park will be next season. Time to see if the Geordies really are as loyal as they say...

Oh, I didn't say they were the only good reserve team. But, some of these players have come in and out of the first team anyway, so it's good to know that if certain players are out, others can and will come in and do the job well. It's good to know that if, say, Evra is out, we have Fabio and now De Laet who can fill in and do it well, with John O'shea and maybe one or two others who can play in that position as well. When you consider that, it's frightening.

I think half of the battle for Newcastle will be in the boardroom. That'll really determine whether or not they bounce straight back. To tell you the truth, I feel sorry for the fans and the players, because what has gone on in recent years has been nothing short of farcical.

Me and my mate were also talking about St. James' Park earlier, and how strange it'll be to see a stadium like that in the Championship. It still hasn't sunk in yet that they're down.

edit: Also, Congratulations Villa Reserves, haha.

Well, naturally I'm gutted that we're down. Nobody can really be singled out for all of the blame -with the exception of maybe Graeme Souness.

The Team were phoning in their performances for such a long time that it was inevitable, really. Criticism in particular for Michael Owen, who we never really felt was part of the team, just Michael Owen at Newcastle. Man made a lot of money from us, but hardly played. Injuries played their part, but it always seems like he was waiting for a better team to come knocking.

The back four has always been our biggest weakness, and I don't understand how skilled, useful players like Cacapa and Beye can be consistently strong performers elsewhere, but then as soon as they get to Newcastle, it all goes wrong.

And finally, we move on to St Jame's Farce boardroom. What the hell does Mike Ashley actually want from the team? Shouting about clearing debt is one thing, but making no funds available for players makes no sense.

And Ramar, even though Ashley is not a player, his attitude, money and organisational approach must have an effect. It's like Chelsea before Abramovich: they were just another unremarkable London club, but then Abramovich brought in his money and a top-class manager and they were suddenly contenders. Yes, the players have the power to change things on the pitch, but without the feeling of support and leadership from the management, it's just a team of schoolboys.

Apparantly West Brom have been up and down 3 times in 6 years, is that correct?

Up for 02/03, Down for 03/04, Up for 04/05, Stayed Up 05/06, Down for 06/07, Stayed Down 07/08, Up for 08/09 and Down again for next season.

So thats.....4 seasons in the premier league and 3 Seasons (soon to be 4) in the championship. But yeah thats 3 promotions and 3 relegations.

I don't think we're the ultimate yo-yo-ers though... i'm pretty sure that accolade is shared by Crystal Palace and Sunderland. Don't quote me on that.

You can't possibly believe that??? And as The Villan said: swapping Baros for Carew is a no brainer. Thats got to be some of the best business Villa have done lately... except for offloading Luke 'one goal' Moore to us :mad:It would have been cheaper for us to have paid Phillips' wages for the two seasons he was asking for =(

What a load of rubbish, John Carew is a beast. Though I've got to respect a man who knocked us out the Champions League twice.

Newcastle are no way going to come straight back up. There wage bill is absolutely HUGE so they're going to have to sell pretty much the whole first team and get a new one in; their fans will desert them...I think they'll struggle next season, and may even do a Leeds....

Quote from managing director Derek Llambias;

"We are all hurting and I feel desperately sorry for everyone associated with Newcastle United; for Mike, who has invested heavily in the club, and for all the supporters who have given the team magnificent backing up and down the country all season long.

Notice who came first in his thoughts...just an example of the problems run by fuck wits.

OK he bags a few goals, but I'm not retracting my other comments. He isn't a good player, sometimes he gets away with mistakes by having strength, otherwise he is a donkey.

Maybe he just gets in the right positions at the right times?

Use your head, Dwarf. :heh:

A striker or forward who gets into the right spaces at the right time? That's...pretty much the first thing you want from your strikers. Being in the thick of the action.

Sure, he might have missed a guilt-edged chance...but that's part and parcel of being a striker. You might miss the one easy chance, yet you'll probably end up scoring a much more difficult goal in the next game. That's life. Strikers get these chances, and if these strikers put away every chance they had...then Adebayor would be Arsenal's all time leading goalscorer, Rooney and Tevez would be in triple figures and Anelka would have TWO Golden Boots, haha.

The Team were phoning in their performances for such a long time that it was inevitable, really. Criticism in particular for Michael Owen, who we never really felt was part of the team, just Michael Owen at Newcastle. Man made a lot of money from us, but hardly played. Injuries played their part, but it always seems like he was waiting for a better team to come knocking.

The back four has always been our biggest weakness, and I don't understand how skilled, useful players like Cacapa and Beye can be consistently strong performers elsewhere, but then as soon as they get to Newcastle, it all goes wrong.

Are you kidding me? Cacapa is skilled and useful? He's the worst player in Europe. Michael Owen can go and fuck himself up the bum. He just couldn't be less intrested in Newcastle since he started his pathetic career.

Edited by Chuck

OK he bags a few goals, but I'm not retracting my other comments. He isn't a good player, sometimes he gets away with mistakes by having strength, otherwise he is a donkey.

Maybe he just gets in the right positions at the right times?

I see you have as much knowledge on football as you do gaming....:p

Made me chuckle

Thought that was pretty sad, why the fuck do they care? If we'd just relegated villa dont think we would have bothered with banners or anything, seems like a lot of trouble to mock a "small club" who aren't even local rivals when they could have made banners supporting their own lot instead.

Any road, the fans did us proud yesterday, singing non-stop from start to finish. I was sitting 2 rows behind the lads with the black and white coffin.

The whole point in me saying that was that he is good at that. That's obviously what strikers do, but team wise he isn't good at all. I've already said why, anytime I've seen him play he hasn't got the basics right.

And Daz fuck off, seriously. I come to the boards to be slightly controversial and say what I think. If the place was full of your type (and brown nosers) everyone would just see things through rose-tinted specs and would be very boring. People are too afraid to go and say something they believe but won't say it because of the argument.

Goals are an important thing yes, but everyone is judging him solely on figures. Watch him play and you will cringe. One game I saw him play in everyone was getting pissed off with him.

Edited by dwarf

Strachan has gone!!

press release

Paul Cuddihy

CELTIC Football Club today announced that Gordon Strachan has decided to stand down from his position as Football Manager.

The Celtic boss, who won six trophies in four years – three league titles, one Scottish Cup and two League Cups – and steered the club to the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League in two consecutive seasons, said today: “I have enjoyed my time immensely at Celtic and clearly I will be sad to leave this great club.

“As I have said before, Celtic is a special club, with special supporters. There is no club like it and it has been an absolute honour and privilege to be the club’s Manager for the past four years.

“We have done all we can to bring success to the Club and we were delighted to deliver three SPL titles, other domestic silverware, as well as making some great progress in Europe.

“It is just disappointing that we did not manage the fourth Championship. However, the players can hold their heads high in terms of what they have done for the club in recent years.

"I would like to thank the Celtic Board for all the support they have given me during the past four years, in particular Dermot Desmond, John Reid, Peter Lawwell and former Chairman Brian Quinn - I could not have asked for any more support.

“I thank all the players I have worked with at the club and, of course, my backroom team for the backing and assistance which they have given me.

“I thank the fans too for the tremendous support which they have given both myself and the players. I wish Celtic and our supporters nothing but success for the future.”

Dermot Desmond, the Club's principal shareholder, said: “Gordon Strachan has done a remarkable job for Celtic over the last four years, winning trophies every year.

“More importantly, he has given 110% commitment to Celtic Football Club and his integrity and talent are exemplary. Gordon leaves Celtic a better club both on and off the balance sheet.

“Personally, I am extremely grateful for his contribution to the development of this great club.We will endeavour to find a replacement to continue Gordon’s good work.”

Celtic Chairman John Reid commented: "Gordon Strachan has served Celtic Football Club with distinction, demonstrating great character, determination and professionalism in his role and ensuring tremendous success for the club.

“He is a man who I personally will always hold in high regard and someone whose record for the club speaks for itself. I would like to wish Gordon, Lesley and their family all the very best for the future.

“We will now aim to appoint our new Football Manager as soon as possible.Our aim is to regain the Championship which we have dominated in recent years and restore our pre-eminent place in Scottish football.

“This is nothing less than our supporters deserve and I would like to thank our supporters and our players for the commitment they have shown during the course of the season."

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: "Gordon has given everything to the club and worked tirelessly to bring success to Celtic. He has achieved so much at both domestic and European levels.

“It has been a pleasure to work closely with Gordon and he leaves the club with all our best wishes. We thank Gordon for his commitment and achievements at the club and we also thank our fans for backing us all the way this season.

"Our fans know how to support their club and we will be doing all we can to once again bring back the title to Celtic Park, something which our support deserves.”

Lets see if the Celtic board now try and get a big name instead of going for SPL standard in Mark McGhee.

Edited by khilafah

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!