Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there not any sort of appeal in Europe?

Absolutely gutted for Fletcher, he's one of those players who always gives it his all and as such I really like him, I reckon he would have played in Rome as well.

Edit; just heard there's no appeals, which I think is a joke, just like not being able to appeal bookings as well!

Yeah what a travesty, I mean why should 1 mans split-second decision rule out a player for what could be the most important game in his career? Stupid, stupid rules.

He is a machine in midfield and always keeps on the look out for dangers. It makes me sick when I see Berbatov just nonchelantly standing still. At least Ronaldon offers something to the team.

Obviously I'm delighted at tonights result!

What will annoy me is that the red-faced one will use tongihts dodgy penalty to show how "you win some you lose some" with regards to the biggest bunged refereeing decision in history last week. Completely different though, 1. This match is over, the penalty means nothing 2. It was the WRONG NORTH LONDON TEAM!!!!

I love playing Arsenal, because I always loved the Keane-Vieira rivalry as a kid, and you're pretty much always guaranteed an entertaining game against the gunners.

We won the game, 3-1 at their ground, and you'd have thought I'd be somersaulting and cartwheeling, but the Fletcher sending off has just really saddened me.

At first, I thought Fletcher had fouled Van Persie (was it?) and the sending off was deserved. But, after seeing the replays, it was a pretty good challenge, and was not a red card. However, I do not blame the referee for sending him off, because how was he supposed to see Fletcher touch the ball from that angle?

I love players who graft and work hard for the team, and players like Darren Fletcher are horribly under-rated at Manchester United. Sure, he may not have the vision of Carrick or Scholes, or the pace of Evra and Ronaldo, but he works hard, gets stuck in, and plays with his heart on his sleeve. It's heartbreaking to know he won't be in the final. No other word for it.

I believe from where he stood he saw it as a late tackle.

The ref, you mean? Yeah, I don't blame him one bit, as he can't see anything from that view. He has to give the penalty, and then send him off as he's the last man. That's the way things are.

I told my housemate (also a United fan) about how upset I was over that, and he didn't seem to understand. Hmm.

I think people seem to forget the rules of the game. touching the ball is one thing, you can't go through them to do it though. Anyone wonder why you're taught from a young age - never to tackle from behind. Interesting that Fletcher didn't appeal the decision, and before anyone says it - he is the moaning type, I doubt it was shock.

We deserved to lose, we were heartless and spineless.

But what's this about Fletcher? Since when have you been able to jump and tackle a player from behind when they're through on goal? I'll tell you when, never. A dangerous foul that denied a goal scoring opportunity. He had to walk.

I didn't want to post anything bitter on here, but I couldn't believe what I was reading.

Well he didn't go through the player. It was a brilliant tackle - he sprinted alongside him, dived and hooked his foot around the ball before even making significant contact.

He went through him.

What? I'm sorry but if you get the ball first then it is a perfectly ligit tackle... The tackling from behind rule is only really claimed when someone goes through the back of someone. Watch it again, I swear here is nothing wrong with it.

What? I'm sorry but if you get the ball first then it is a perfectly ligit tackle... The tackling from behind rule is only really claimed when someone goes through the back of someone. Watch it again, I swear here is nothing wrong with it.

Other than you know going through the man, taking him to the floor when he's through on goal, to get the slightest of touches on it. No nothing wrong at all.

Like Noodleman says, the bloke should have just let Fabregas score.

Well I still think you're wrong. Ask all your friends/colleagues and reflect on it, maybe once you cool down you may see differently. If not then I'm not sure if the whole thing is worth settling.

If the penalty hadn't been given everybody would have been saying what a good tackle it was. Even in the studio it was unanimous that Fletcher did well.

If the penalty hadn't been given everybody would have been saying what a good tackle it was. Even in the studio it was unanimous that Fletcher did well.

The same studio where Andy Townsend said he'd have managed to save Ronaldo's free kick?.. Says it all.

Oh god, it could very well be deja-fucking-vu. If Chelsea go through tomorrow it's another Man Utd v Chelsea final - and after losing on penalties last time, I don't think I could handle such a tense match.

Gotta get past Barca first though and that certainly won't be an easy task. Bricking it it more than my job interview tomorrow I think!

I'd just like to say one thing:

Everyone in the studio last night (all the people who analyse football FOR THEIR JOBS), and everyone on this forum (including non-united fans) has agrees that it wasn't a red card. The one person who disagrees is an arsenal fan (I'm judging noodleman to just be saying how he could have avoided any chance of a red rather than saying it was a red card.) Now, do you not think that you may be biased, especially when EVERYONE else seems to agree that it wasn't a red?

Also I would like to point out that although it wasn't, Fierce is right - the ref couldn't have seen it at all and he had no choice but to send him off. That doesn't make it right, that just means that the referee had no other choice. Gutted for the guy really, one of the biggest games of his career I expect.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!