NEurope
Dan_Dare

Mirror's Edge

Damn, exaggerate much?

To each one its own and all that :P

Not really. I thought it was awful. My slight OCD was the only thing pushing me to finish it.

I really did want to like it.

You're right though, each to their own.

Yeah DICE had a great concept and artstyle but they messed up the actual game. Should have delayed it. Good at cheap prices though.

By the time I sold ME, I liked it a lot more than I did on my first run through. It gets a lot better when you're good at the combat, and you do become good, able to take out any group of enemies without slow mo pretty quickly, or if you've done the speed runs, you know the best ways to just run past them.

She has no sense of self preservation at all. Half the time I swear she tried to grab ledges with her nose only to realise just before impacting into the ground a hundred metres below that this didn't work the other million times she tried it. She must have a phobia of drain pipes because she just doesn't want to know about them half the time.
haha, I like the way you detach yourself from faith as though you're not the one in control. Once you get good at the game 'faith' never misses a jump or a grab.

haha, I like the way you detach yourself from faith as though you're not the one in control. Once you get good at the game 'faith' never misses a jump or a grab.

Well that's what the game feels like. I hate running and then suddenly finding I've come to a halt because a light fitting is in front of my toe. My complaints are pretty much one and the same as Zero Punctuations.

After Assassin's Creed, which I loved, this free running is a complete chore.

And Faith is a crap character...actually the whole story is just generically abysmal.

After Assassin's Creed, which I loved, this free running is a complete chore.

They are completely different games.

Mirror's Edge is incredibly old-school in that if you don't get a good hold of its mechanics you aren't going to have a good time. Assassin's Creed (and the latest Prince of Persia, as it happens) was designed to make you feel and look cool despite not actually having to do much. Both approaches have their place, and I don't really think they can be compared as they're so diametrically opposed to one another.

They are completely different games.

Mirror's Edge is incredibly old-school in that if you don't get a good hold of its mechanics you aren't going to have a good time. Assassin's Creed (and the latest Prince of Persia, as it happens) was designed to make you feel and look cool despite not actually having to do much. Both approaches have their place, and I don't really think they can be compared as they're so diametrically opposed to one another.

Yeah, I'm aware they are completely different and I'd be willing to put more time into ME if it weren't for the fact that it was so linear and uninspiring as an experience.

My comparison with AC was only down to my association with the flow of the game and the fact they were both based around free running. Never while I was playing it did AC even enter my mind.

Ultimately the mechanics were not the only problem with this game.

It looked good, if not a bit samey.

I don't really know whether I'd pick it up for that price or not, I'm not too bothered. I thought the demo was OK.

Thing is I seem to have similar gaming tastes to Daft so maybe it isn't for me.

Just bought this!! I have spent over £1,000 pounds on gaming in the last 4 months :o Stupid, just stupid!!!

^ that truly is insane. Think I total up to about £200 for the last 4 months which isn't bad. Slightly less than last year but then I haven't really bought anything for my Wii since De Blob in September.

Just bought this!! I have spent over £1,000 pounds on gaming in the last 4 months :o Stupid, just stupid!!!

You should rent games. £18.75 a month for any three games on the go for as long as you want.

In the last two or three months I think I've spent £60, because I bought Fallout 3, and I haven't missed out on anything.

Yeah I did that for a while but it didn't work out for me, I buy games and don't play them for months :) Plus I like to keep games, I'm a bit of a collector, have over a thousand DVD's, a nice bluray collection now, and a huge game collection.... To contract this slightly, lately I've been buying a lot of games for relatively cheap - Fallout 3 CE, Mirrors Edge, PoP, Orange Box, Secret Files etc. I could easily make my money back when I'm done if I so wanted! So although I've spent a lot of money, I'll claw some back!

I kept being had a go at because they took up loads of space and my room is tiny so I couldn't really put them in there. Plus normally once I finish a game it's done. I don't have much time to play new games let alone ones I've already played...or started playing. :heh:

Plus I can rent Blu Rays which are a bit too pricey for me to buy at them moment imo.

Well I started playing this at about 11 this morning and finished it at half 5 tonight and all I can say is meh. The best part about the game for me is when Still Alive kicks in ( love that song ) other than that I thought the game was nothing special. For me it just seemed to lack heart, I didnt really care for Faith or her sister. Sure the game looked great but it had no soul.

I've probably spent that much too, haha. I hate renting games. I like to buy them to think I'm helping them get more games out to me. Same as I don't trade in the ones I've finished. I keep them too in my completed cupboard ^_^

Just completed this. My thoughts:

What an awful, awful storyline.

What an awful, awful combat system.

What an awful, awful game design with regards to checkpoints.

Yet I still loved it.

It could have done with a GRID style flashback system, letting you go back about 10 seconds to redo that one jump you mistimed instead of making you redo the last 5 minutes and go through those 10 guards again. Also the shooting stuff felt rubbish and the slowmo thing seemed totally out of place. But the actual running was excellent.

This is my joint GOTY along with Fallout 3 for me.

I really don't get alot of the criticisms, while the main story didn't last as long as I'm sure most games theres so much to do after. You can't convince me after doing all the speed runs, 3 star-ing all the time trials, doing the game on hard etc you haven't got value for money.

I think the problem for most people is to do all that, you need to find the best routes, memorize them and then execute them, which can be a very frustrating routine. It does get annoying when you've tried doing The Shard about 50 times on the speedrun to no avail, but the sense of acheivement after is worth it.

I think being a trophey whore helped me enjoy this game though, if it had no trophies I'd had never done all the extra bits in the first place. As far as I'm concerned the game shouldn't even have a story mode, just more speed runs and time trials.

I've just bought this. When Shorty and Jayseven were playing it, I didn't really like it, controls seemed abit odd. Bought it to see if I can end up liking it. I'll have a go later.

When seeing it in a magazine and seeing the adverts I thought it looked quite temptedings, but on Boxing day we went to visit some family and I watched him play it. I must confess. I was bored to hell.

It looked like Half Life, but without the guns, aliens, pr0ness. Which were replaced with running away like a pussy.

Where the hell has a comparison with Half Life come from? It's in the first person perspective and thats about where the similarities end.

Where the hell has a comparison with Half Life come from? It's in the first person perspective and thats about where the similarities end.

Having a nice industrial setting, a nice subway, and having bad army people trying and kill you.

You can used a gun if you wanted too but Mirrors Edge is a first person action-adventure.

My thoughts after finishing:

8 chapters would have been enough.

FUCKING ENEMIES.

It would have been better if there was no enemies.

It was beautiful.

Although the story was terrible and the ending was short and unrewarding, I still liked it.