Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hmm: the screens don't really have any soul. You know what I mean?

Exactly what I was trying to say some pages ago. That, and those roof textures (and gun)...

the-conduit-20080926044909207_640w.jpg

Yuck.

Apart from that, the new Depth of Field effect in scope mode looks really good.

Still expecting to see which publisher picks them up.

I'm so happy i care little about graphics, because i don't see absolutely no problem in those screens.

My low expectations for graphical achievements are what make me happy with a Wii ^^

:hmm: the screens don't really have any soul. You know what I mean?

I don't think anyone's been interested in the game for its artistic or creative merits, it's simply because they're trying to push the technical side.

It's mainly apparent through the large areas with a fair amount of geometric detail, the lighting and stuff like the bump mapping on the characters.

It's came across as impressive in most videos due to those things but it's not a game that's ever going to look amazing in screens. Like a game like RE4, it sacrafices anti aliasing and has a mix of good and bad texture resolutions so the main technically impressive aspects come when you see things moving and lighting and shadow effects happening and what not.

It's pushing more "advanced" techniques than Metroid Prime 3 was (It was basically the Gamecube games but with added bloom) but it lacks all the creativity that Retro is capable of and doesn't have as much visual polish.

I don't think anyone's been interested in the game for its artistic or creative merits.

I've got to agree. We can argue about the creative look of The Conduit, but the fact remains that Wii has only a couple of decent First Person Shooters- and only MP3 springs to mind. Regardless of its apparent 'lack' of creativity, The Conduit deserves our attention because its pushing the technical boundary and pushing a "hardcore" genre. Now, if High Voltage can pull off a 7.5 on this (which is probably a given), thats a good score- with good sales, that can help encourage more hardcore titles.

I agree that some of the screens aren't really that impressive, but it seems this is mainly a texture problem.

So far the engine seems to be squeezing every bit of power out of the Wii and if the shooter controls are also what they are promised to be this could turn out to be a really fun FPS.

Sometimes the textures are only placeholders while they are still optimizing the engines and for instance looking at this image again

the-conduit-20080926044909207_640w.jpg

The Textures of the roof are clearly unfinished, however, the pillars look really good, so I assume they are still work in progress.

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious here or repeating what other people said but I wasn't following the thread.

Wii screens always look bad. This game looks amazing in motion.

Hopefully we get a new trailer when they announce the publisher.

And TBH, at this point, that could very easily be Nintendo. I mean, HV told us that they were going to announce it in a few weeks back in august. Its about time they did I would think, and it just so happens that there's a Nintendo event next Week. (Though I imagine thats most likely going to be mostly about the new DS).

Before anybody criticises this game, they really need to look at where this is coming from. Look at the team behind this game and also look at the system they're working with, and look at fellow 3rd party efforts on the same system.

This game definitely has a soul. You can't tell that from a screenshot. But, I applaud the developers for striving to achieve something. I'm hoping that the finished product does them proud, and gives us gamers something to smile about.

Before anybody criticises this game, they really need to look at where this is coming from. Look at the team behind this game and also look at the system they're working with, and look at fellow 3rd party efforts on the same system.

Yep, if this were Capcom or Nintendo then criticisms would be more justified. You can't expect these guys to surpass the talents of bigger, wealthier and more established developers.

Yep, if this were Capcom or Nintendo then criticisms would be more justified. You can't expect these guys to surpass the talents of bigger, wealthier and more established developers.

Precisely. Some people are coming at this from the wrong angle. HVS is a company who earned their bacon from publishers by having to crap out liscenced tat on PS2. And to come from that to internally develop the Quantum3 engine and pull out a game that is STILL more technically advanced than 95% of all 3rd party Wii games? That takes recognition.

But sure, it's alright to fap all over the internet about the next Capcom port or Squeenix spin-off.

Precisely. Some people are coming at this from the wrong angle. HVS is a company who earned their bacon from publishers by having to crap out liscenced tat on PS2. And to come from that to internally develop the Quantum3 engine and pull out a game that is STILL more technically advanced than 95% of all 3rd party Wii games? That takes recognition.

But sure, it's alright to fap all over the internet about the next Capcom port or Squeenix spin-off.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.

However, in terms of the actual game this is completely irrelevant. No one is going to care who made it and with what budget. Ultimately all that matters for The Conduit is how good the game is. Thus it most certainly should be compared to Nintendo efforts and every other developer out there. It's nice to see a dev punching above their weight but this game simply has to cut it or it's all for nothing at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong - I think The Conduit is going to be awesome. But to say that it's unfair to compare it to efforts from wealthier devs is ludicrous.

However, in terms of the actual game this is completely irrelevant. No one is going to care who made it and with what budget. Ultimately all that matters for The Conduit is how good the game is. Thus it most certainly should be compared to Nintendo efforts and every other developer out there. It's nice to see a dev punching above their weight but this game simply has to cut it or it's all for nothing at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong - I think The Conduit is going to be awesome. But to say that it's unfair to compare it to efforts from wealthier devs is ludicrous.

Hit the nail on the head there.

Well said. Pretty much said what most of us were thinking tbh.

Look, this developer is making a Wii game, that is an original IP, it's not a party game, or a minigame-fest, it's an FPS with online multi, with customisable controls and aim and sensitivity. Those who have played it are very impressed and say it looks great in motion.

Sorry but that gives us reason to be happy!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!