NEurope

Can't really argue with that Eurogamer review. Uninspiring sums this game up, if it had come out on the 360, even with 360 standard graphics it wou;dn't have got a second glance off anybody. If it had come out on the PC it would have been published by ValuSoft. Generic, dull, featureless backdrops, beyond generic plot, generic enemies, tired weapons. Hope people don't buy this in big numbers just because this type of game is a rarity on the Wii, it'll give developers the impression they can churn out shit like this and hungry Wii owners will gobble it down regardless.

76% what the hell ore they on !

Well, that ONM score is higher than the average it got.

http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/947068-the-conduit/index.html

So according to most reviews, the Conduit is basically the new Haze? it's a good job I don't listen to many particular review sources then, especially Eurogamer :heh: having said that though, I'm still not picking this up on release, but it looks like a reasonably decent shooter to me, just that it evidently won't live up to the hype.

Yeah, it definitely depends on a lot of things.

But, surely if you're saying that something is "average" or "not bad but not bad" you're looking at the middle marks. The maximum a game can get is 100% or 10/10, and the minimum I guess it can get is 0% and 0/10. Although, I don't think I've ever seen a game get 0 or 1 out of 10, or the equivalent.

Middle of the road seems to me like it should be 5/10, or 50%. Half marks. Maybe that's me taking it too literally, but I always see things like a scale, and on the one side you have perfect, on the otherside you have craaaaaap, and in the middle you have "not bad, but not good."

It just gets to me a little when I see people describe 6 or 7 (or even 8) out of 10 as some sort of middle ground. A 7 out of a 10 is quite a positive score I think. Although, I do agree with other posts which have said that you need to look at the review text as well as the score. I try to shy away from using scores, because it's not really an accurate representation of the game.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying the game, people. Wish I could afford it right now. :(

With that system, you are saying a the average mark has to be fifty percent, and then you're working out a method designed to generate that score consistently.

Average doesn't have to mean "not good but not bad". If every game released on the system of the exact same quality, then in order to maintain your average, you'd have to give them all 50%.

The games could be of the quality of say Super Mario Galaxy or Action Girlz Racing (thanks LostOverThere :)), and it wouldn't make a difference, until you introduced a title that was either better or worse. And at that point, you'd have to re-score all the other games to maintain your average of 50%

If every game was perfect, then perfection would become the average, how ever you choose to calculate it. Likewise, utter dross would share the same fate.

Can't really argue with that Eurogamer review. Uninspiring sums this game up, if it had come out on the 360, even with 360 standard graphics it wou;dn't have got a second glance off anybody. If it had come out on the PC it would have been published by ValuSoft. Generic, dull, featureless backdrops, beyond generic plot, generic enemies, tired weapons. Hope people don't buy this in big numbers just because this type of game is a rarity on the Wii, it'll give developers the impression they can churn out shit like this and hungry Wii owners will gobble it down regardless.

As opposed to the other shit developers churn out currently... I hope it sells really well, maybe someone else besides High Voltage will give it a try.

Give what a try, releasing mediocre games?

Releasing a game that requires more effort than a compilation of flash mini games. As far as I can understand The Conduit fails because of bad game design, if more experienced developers gave it a try it would be different.

Give what a try, releasing mediocre games?

I have to say, I was going to purchase this game today, but your posts (and various reviews) put me right off. Good job too, it would seem. I only ever really get games with 90%+ review scores (from ONM), and should've known better than to consider investing in this.

Releasing a game that requires more effort than a compilation of flash mini games. As far as I can understand The Conduit fails because of bad game design, if more experienced developers gave it a try it would be different.

The entire game isn't badly designed though, the got some key things right that still make the game enjoyable.

Edit:

Sales:

Untitled-4.jpg

Edited by Emasher

Yes, but if it was on the 360 it would have been an uncontrollable mess. I've spent the day wrestling with dual analogue controls on COD4, they are appalling. The Wii versions of games may be gimped in some ways, but the controls, when right, shit all over dual analogue.

Yes, but if it was on the 360 it would have been an uncontrollable mess. I've spent the day wrestling with dual analogue controls on COD4, they are appalling. The Wii versions of games may be gimped in some ways, but the controls, when right, shit all over dual analogue.

COD4 has brilliant controls what are you on about? If you can't use dual analogue after all these years then...wow.

COD4 has brilliant controls what are you on about? If you can't use dual analogue after all these years then...wow.

Perfect on the computer, the dual knobbing is the best adequate alternative for consoles with gamepads.

And no, not everyone has been playing FPS on Xbox, so don't expect everyone to be used to it or even agree they're brilliant.

Stfu Shino.

He plays on the Xbox so he is used to it, likewise you are used to PC controls. Personally I find the PC too simple, just move your hand, bang the reticule is there. And it's a level playing field if everyone is using a controller so it's not about just pointing quickly, you just have to use your tool well. I prefer both Wii and Analogue over PC, it is just preference. At least the Wii controls have a bit more skill to them unlike the mouse.

Yes you can get players of varying quality with the mouse but why bother when the keyboard makes for a rubbish controller? No feedback or anything. When controllers never feel like a hindrance why should I care if I could be slightly faster if I had a mouse and could use that against people that couldnt use one? Plus with PC you don't get many exclusives.

Edited by dwarf

Stfu Shino.

He plays on the Xbox so he is used to it, likewise you are used to PC controls. Personally I find the PC too simple, just move your hand, bang the reticule is there. And it's a level playing field if everyone is using a controller so it's not about just pointing quickly, you just have to use your tool well. I prefer both Wii and Analogue over PC, it is just preference. At least the Wii controls have a bit more skill to them unlike the mouse.

Yes you can get players of varying quality with the mouse but why bother when the keyboard makes for a rubbish controller? No feedback or anything. When controllers never feel like a hindrance why should I care if I could be slightly faster if I had a mouse and could use that against people that couldnt use one? Plus with PC you don't get many exclusives.

Them dorfs man, them dorfs...

You don't say once how the gamepad is a better interaction other than being more ergonomic than a keyboard and even go as far as the hindrance of using a gamepad equates to necessary skill in playing. You play whatever way you want, but there's no spinning the truth on this, keyboard + mouse make for a more precise interface in a FPS which is exactly what the genre requires. Maybe you prefer it slower paced and having half your fingers being useless, and that's all good for console players, but its still just a work around they found for FPS games on gamepads.

Oh and those "exclusives" on 360...

Top 15 rated games:

1 Grand Theft Auto IV

2 BioShock

3 Orange Box, The

4 Gears of War

5 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The

6 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

7 Halo 3

8 Braid

9 Street Fighter IV

10 Fallout 3

11 Gears of War 2

12 Guitar Hero II

13 Rock Band

14 Rock Band 2

15 Mass Effect

Exclusives: 2 - Halo 3 and GoW2

Why do exclusives even matter. If it has lots of high quality multi-platform games I don't see why anyone would care. A game is a game.

Oh dear... I can't believe anyone would defend dual analogue control, it's horrible. I've spent years using it and compared to the point and shoot of the wii-mote or a mouse it's appalling.

As an Australian, I live in the only place worse to get games then Europe. So on the rare case I get this before some of you guys, I shall laugh. ;D

I think the Story mode so far is not bad... interesting-ish, not bad, want to see what's next and it draws you IN the game.

You feel and see the "effort" that's been put in to this game to make it enjoyable.

The controls are amazing! But it must be when i'm aiming out of the sensor bar, my character "jams in a turn" and then he releases and turns normally again... As i said, it's probably just how i'm aiming at the sensor bar.

Multiplayer is AWESOME!!!... even more so with dudes you know.

Man it has LOADS of online modes to keep you occupied... ASE Football, bounty hunter, free for all, team reaper, three strikes... just to name a few!

The games is FAR from awful, and in all honesty and respects, i wouldn't call this game MIND-BLOWING, but it's a game that is HIGHLY recommended to be in your games library.

The game has room for improvement in various areas but i'm coming from Rainbow6 las vegas, Kill Zone, Call of Duty, Halo... and i would throw The Conduit in that list.

Like i said, if The Conduit was improved in a few areas (not dramatically) then it would be just like any other shooter... just get it a bit neater, although it's nowhere near far-off from other shooters currently.

This games is like Halo-ish, but N64 Goldeneye style!

EPIC WIN! :D :awesome:

I rate 60-75%

IT IS FUN AND DRAWS YOU IN

Edited by Beverage

I picked this up on Friday, and would agree with most of the reviews. Its good, and has some excellent technical aspects. The Multiplayer is very good, better than W@W in my opinion.

With regards the controls, while the Wii FPS controls are good, and it is a refreshing way to experience an FPS, I can get the reticule onto a target much quicker with a Dual Analogue. Especially if that target is behind me, I know you can adjust the turning speed in the Conduit. But it just ends going past the target for me. Maybe its just my inexperience with the WiiMote, although I was no slouch on MoH:H2.

Call of Duty 4 has sold over 13 million copies, with most being sold on the 360 and PS3. Would it really have sold that much based on it's "appalling controls"?

Oh dear... I can't believe anyone would defend dual analogue control, it's horrible. I've spent years using it and compared to the point and shoot of the wii-mote or a mouse it's appalling.

Ah, you're one of those kinds.

Sword and Shield at the ready, attack stance.

etc

Tissue don't even bother with Zechs. He probably hasn't played (m)any decent FPS games in his life for any prolonged period of time and is probably only attacking analogues because the Wii doesn't use them. They were made with efficiency in mind and the reason they haven't been changed is because they work.

Them dorfs man, them dorfs...

You don't say once how the gamepad is a better interaction other than being more ergonomic than a keyboard and even go as far as the hindrance of using a gamepad equates to necessary skill in playing. You play whatever way you want, but there's no spinning the truth on this, keyboard + mouse make for a more precise interface in a FPS which is exactly what the genre requires. Maybe you prefer it slower paced and having half your fingers being useless, and that's all good for console players, but its still just a work around they found for FPS games on gamepads.

Oh and those "exclusives" on 360...

Top 15 rated games:

Exclusives: 2 - Halo 3 and GoW2

Look, I'd rather use a controller over the keyboard and mouse. Never when I play an FPS do I think that I should be playing with the PC. It seems you equate speed of reticule as better control, when really analogues don't stop the action being fast. A pad feels like you've got everything at your disposal instead of a flat keyboard in which you could use a number of poor buttons.

Plus I meant PS3 & 360 shooting exclusives, why the top 15 games? To make your statistic sound better?

Why do exclusives even matter. If it has lots of high quality multi-platform games I don't see why anyone would care. A game is a game.

That's like arguing that there is no point in exclusives. Which is just wrong.

And I will say I agree with MatTheHat. Whilst Wii controls are are different way to play than analogue, it is much easier aiming with analogue. Just the natural quiver of your hand means that aiming is less precise. It's a far greater difference between pad and mouse, but I'd still rather play KZ with Wii controls (I think).

Edited by dwarf

Is it just me or does anyone else think Prometheus sounds a lot like Curtis Manning from 24?

Is it just me or does anyone else think Prometheus sounds a lot like Curtis Manning from 24?

Don't know about that, but is it just ME or do all of you also hear the ASE saying 'sex-machine' when you activate it without locking it onto something:wtf:

P.S.: The game and it's weapons very much remind me of JEDI OUTCAST ll

Guys lets try and keep the thread positive. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to control methods ( mine being dual analogue ) its a question of what you find most comfortable and what your used to. If you which to discuss it further feel free to make another topic about it. If we end up discussing it here it will just end up taking away focus from the actual game.

Cheers.

Have played more of this today and I'm now about 5 missions or something in. So far, they've been uninspiring really, with only some real challenge, ingenuity, coming from the Jefferson Memorial bit with all the conduits you have to shut down. It hasn't really picked up but it's a good effort.

Haven't been online much as I'm still trying to get my Wii Speak to work with it. But it's alright. Some of the levels are a bit too big given the number of players in the game. I mean even if you were to compare some of the levels to the likes of Sand Trap on Halo 3, which is considerably large, in that even with the large amount of space you're still having a close battle yet in this it does seem a little strewn all over the place. I don't think all of the enclosed areas and loads of rooms helps as I'd like to have a much more open area to run about in, to really test the aiming.

And on the subject of aiming, anyone else finding the vertical aiming is limited? I've changed the settings but there seems to be a lock on how high and low you can aim and it's realy irritating especially if you have to fight enemies on stairs as I've had to in levels.