NEurope

Zavvi does seem to have some life after all! My order has moved from 'awaiting pick stock' to 'awaiting despatch'. Hope for tomorrow perhaps?

Single player is as you'd expect. Nothing special at all, but it's quite admirably presented and some of the weapons are top-notch.

Multiplayer is an absolute blast though when its running smoothly. I just won my first match (Quick Match, Drudge weaponry, Infimary). I think the Metacritic average of 75%ish is about right.

Now all we need for the sequel is for Nintendo to give High Voltage ten billion dollars, five years of development time and a CGI trailer ready for E3... then watch the 10's come rolling in.

Ok i'm not going to pick this up I've pretty much decided.. seems to reply too much on multiplayer for me

My order with Zavvi is "processing".. Absolutely fantastic! :cry:

Looks like best case scenario I get it Saturday.

Worst case scenario Monday.

Crap, have to wait another day.. Our local Media Markt had the game ready in storage, but wasn't allowed to sell the game before the actual releasedate..

Never did I have this problem before. Got Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 a day early for example.. But now they strictly follow the releasedate.

Oh well, tomorrow it'll be mine!

My order with Zavvi is "processing".. Absolutely fantastic! :cry:

Looks like best case scenario I get it Saturday.

Worst case scenario Monday.

I'm not going to have time to play it tomorrow anyway but if this isn't despatched by tomorrow evening I'm going to cancel my pre-order and pick one up from a store.

Ok i'm not going to pick this up I've pretty much decided.. seems to reply too much on multiplayer for me

Single-player is ok-good so far..it's not awful, just won't set the world alight..if multiplayer only isn't your thing, i'll wait for a price drop.. this game is sadly not as 'necessary' as first thought.

I was planning on getting this anyway but with these impressions I sure won't. I'm not one for the online anyway.

We all knew that the single player wasn't going to be great, surprised folk all of a sudden are changing their minds. The games focus is the multi-player online experience...

Well, I've had a few hours of play, and the controls are pretty much dead-on. I've costumized them bit. The deadzone was too big to my liking, and the turning speed is upped a notch, just like the vertical angle, but it's really great.

The graphics are standard fare, truth be told. Haven't seen anything yet that impressed me. Some Wii games have blown me away, but if this has to prove the Wii's true graphical abilities... Super Mario Galaxy is the way to go!

It's funny High Voltage called The Conduit the game they always wanted to make, because to my knowledge, there are plenty of games outthere with the same generic designs and stories. Yes, gray corridors are in, as is the 13-in-a-dozen roughly-voiced special agent who is the only one left who knows the truth. And how many conveniently placed explodable cannisters do we still need in 2009?

Last but not least: I'm really concerned about the length of the singe player. My first playtest lasted about an hour, and when I picked it up again, I saw a 22% completion-rate. That doesn't bode very well at all.

Online does what it says on the box. Nothing special, just the same ol' modes over again. Controls make it more special, though.

Impressions so far: not a bad game, but very, very middle of the road. The controls set a new standard, but the same can't be said about the design, story and, yes, graphics.

A 70%-er is ever I saw one. Can't really say it's a bad game, but can't really reccommend it either. It's not the summer blockbuster we were led to believe, but more of a straight-to-DVD action flick.

The campaign is very short. Finished it in a few days. Don't expect to get that many hours out of it. The multiplayer is really why anyone should buy this game. TBH, I think the story is much better than people are making it out to be, its more how its presented that takes away from it.

How has this been selling?

About 100 000 copies sold in the first week in the US. I'm not sure if this means all NTSC regions or just the US.

Hope you lot will be playing this online because as soon as I get a phone line sorted at my new address I'll be on this all the time!

A 70%-er is ever I saw one. Can't really say it's a bad game, but can't really reccommend it either. It's not the summer blockbuster we were led to believe, but more of a straight-to-DVD action flick.

That's a bit of a strange thing to say, in my opinion. 70% is a good score. It's positive. Hell, if every straight-to-dvd action flick scored over 70%, then...we would be living in a utopia for action films.

If the game is average, then really you should be rating it at 50%. It reminds me of a recent post in the Rast the last film you saw thread where somebody mentioned that the film was "ok" but rated it 80%!

That's a bit of a strange thing to say, in my opinion. 70% is a good score. It's positive. Hell, if every straight-to-dvd action flick scored over 70%, then...we would be living in a utopia for action films.

If the game is average, then really you should be rating it at 50%.

I think this is a prime example of why scores should be considered secondary to the review text. Everyone scores differently.

It's clear the Conduit has divided opinion, with scores of 3/10 on one hand and high 80%s on the other. I think this is why people are so keen to hear first-hand impressions of the game, since there doesn't seem to be a consensus, scores-wise, on how good or bad this game is.

My impressions after a couple of hours playing Single Player only:

It's good

Above average, but not great and not ground-breaking in any way.

It's repetitive

There is a grand total of two bipedal creatures (so far). They all behave the same way. Optimum progress through the level involves crouching behind scenery, zooming in to headshot your enemies. This was awkward at first, but after getting used to the controls, it becomes second nature and can be extremely satisfying.

It's heavily customisable

I wasn't turning fast enough at first, so I reduced the size of the bounding box and increased the turning and cursor sensitivities. I kept tweaking this until I was happy with it. Very useful.

It's pretty

I wasn't blown away, but I was impressed. The level of detail was high enough to cause me to stop in some rooms and just look around, reading information/posters/signs etc... The water effects in particular were a standout.

It's rigid

It's very linear and there is virtually nothing to interact with or destroy. It's the little things that make games great and they haven't done much in this department. There's a nice touch when you set off a metal detector. There's a wall with what appears to be polaroid pictures of the staff, but that's about it so far.

I did find it hard to stop playing and go to bed. It dragged me in and it did have that 'Let's just see what's around the corner' feel.

If you only have a Wii and you like FPS games, then you will enjoy it, simply because there's hardly any competition. I'm sure if you have an XBOX360 and have been playing Fallout 3 for the past 12 months, then you will be disappointed, no doubt about it.

Mmm, good point. Perhaps my text focused too much on the negative.

I would give it 70% because despite it's genericness, the controls are excellent and while it's doesn't do anything any other shooter hasn't done, it does what it sets out to do well. It's way better than the majority of Wii-shooters outthere. It's just a shame it's so uninspired in its context. But what's more important: I'm having fun with it. It's definitely a cut above the average shooter.

So while it stays strictly in the confines of previous shooters, atleast it does it well.

Shame about the AI, though. ;) OK, maybe it's more of a 60%-er.

Read the Eurogamer review, they have some good points. A 5/10 from Eurogamer does not mean it's shit, just average.

Hah, no surprise there. Eurogamer are known for their overly negative scores. The gave Madworld 7/10, and Dead Creatures 4.
From peoples impressions it sounds pretty average, and a 5/10 indicates average.

Hmm well I don't feel so bad abotu paying £17 odd for it from the hut. But I won't have it for the next 3-5 business days so by then everyone might be done with it.

Im wondering what ONM will give it, just because I recall them scoring Wii Play 91% :P

I'm gonna get this very soon, just to see what the online is like really.

Im wondering what ONM will give it, just because I recall them scoring Wii Play 91% :P

I'm gonna get this very soon, just to see what the online is like really.

Only reason i'm getting it and decided to buy it from zavvi at £18. If it was full price I doubt i'd buy it.