N-Europe

Olympics protest

canand

People have the right to protest (in this country at least) and should do if they want to.

After London protests yesterday Paris followed suit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7334545.stm

Did you know China cut out all the protesting in London on their broadcast of it? So as far as the average chinese person is aware the torch bearing in London went very smoothly. Would hate to live in a non democratic country.

People have the right to protest (in this country at least) and should do if they want to.

After London protests yesterday Paris followed suit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7334545.stm

Did you know China cut out all the protesting on their broadcast of it? Would hate to live in a non democratic country.

China also have blocked internet servers to news sites, youtube etc.

I say the protesters are mean becuse the people who are there to see it can't becuse of them.

If protesters are mean I dread to think what you would classify the Chinese government as. I know its a wikipedia but link but as you dont appear to know what they are protesting have a read of it.

Click me

The thing that caught my eye was this:

The Paris relay started to go wrong almost from the start, despite the presence of 3,000 police along the route, riding motorcycles, jogging or on skates.

That image made me chuckle. However I think it's absurd that so many countries are still supporting the Olympics considering what's happening and that the Chinese government got hold of the games in the first place given their track record in human rights.

It's tricky. I mean we're saying "Stop that, China!" but then being all luvey-duvey for the Olympics. Sure, it should be about the sport, but the protestors have the right idea, as it's the perfect forum to get Tibet's plight more coverage.

The church in the centre of town (I used to go to when I was religious) always has a mural painted, to do with current political issues, and this months one is a reinterpreatation of the famous photo from Tianenman square, only with a tibetan monk in place of the student, and an Olympic flag in the background.

It was vandalised the other night by Chinese students, but instead of scribbling over it, they carefully blacked out the monk.

That is a just a metaphor for China's censorship of the situation, and all the vandals have done is support the original message of the mural.

FREE TIBET.

I'm very pro-Tibet. I have to feel sorry for the actual runners, to an extent, but, by god, it certainly got Tibet some publicity! If any of you missed it, similar scenes were in Paris, with the torch being extinguished either for safety reasons or by protesters 3 times.

Did you know China cut out all the protesting in London on their broadcast of it?

That must of been a pretty short broadcast. Are they even going to be able to show Paris?

I'm all up for crashing this Olympic party. China's human rights record is sickening at best.

Hang on, sorry if i sound super thick here. But are China not getting the Olympics this year?

Yes, hence the reason pro-Tibetan protesters are doing there thing near the Olympic torch, and in some cases, disrupting it's passage.

Oh, I misunderstood you. They are getting it, although, in my opinion, such "honours" shouldn't be given to irresponsible morons.

Didn't stop Germany getting the Olympics in 1936. Pretty similar situation, with a country hosting dominated by a controversial regime and many countries calling to boycott the games. Hopefully these games wont be followed by a world war though, although it would a hilarious piece of history repeating if a Tibetan monk won the 100m sprint.