NEurope
Strider

Coinage of the United Kingdom

I think forseeable usually means after our lifetimes. Dont quote me on that though :p

I know someone will now lol

Unless the Pinkos and Johnny Foreigners get their way!

(j/k, I love Johnny Foreigners).

Personally I think we should keep the pound. I think we will be better off. Besides why can't we have our own identity anymore?

If your identity is based on a currency, that's rather bad.

i like these, they look shit hot as a shield lol.

ps. FUCK THE EURO!

Id say its a good thing to know that our quids bitch slap your euros, and the euros bitch slapped your potatoes...

It's not solely based on it. But currency is one part of your identity. Especially when your currency has had so much influence on the world in the past.

Besides if we went to the euro then nobody would know what the queen looked like.*

*Whilst this is a joke, with the amount of stupidity and ignorance in this country, it's highly likely that there is some truth in the matter.

Personally I think we should keep the pound. I think we will be better off. Besides why can't we have our own identity anymore?

Explain please.

Sorry, I don't have a citation. Wiki told me that Black Monday (or, one of them) was in 1987 which conflicts with my memory of what my economics teacher told me at A2.

Vague summary; I think there were 9 countries in europe attempting to align fiscal policies; exchange rate being one of the main ones, along with inflation and such. They had agreed on keping their figures within a higher and lower boundary, and each few months/year they tightened the boundary. IIRC the date they originally planned on doing whatever it was they were doing someone objected (they all had to agree) to the next stage commencing, and that put the countries out of whack a bit as they hadn't really planned farther.

Then something else happened, germany panicked and started selling their foreign currency stock in order to keep their own afloat, which was interpreted as a "fuck you" and all the other countries panicked.

As I say; I have no citation, nor do I know precisely what I am on about :P Apologies while I keep searching!

It's not solely based on it. But currency is one part of your identity. Especially when your currency has had so much influence on the world in the past.

Besides if we went to the euro then nobody would know what the queen looked like.*

*Whilst this is a joke, with the amount of stupidity and ignorance in this country, it's highly likely that there is some truth in the matter.

Id agree that a lot of people wouldnt know.

Anyway, im leaving now to get ready to spend some of my currency on alcoholic beverages...

Id agree that a lot of people wouldnt know.

Anyway, im leaving now to get ready to spend some of my currency on alcoholic beverages...

Pound or euro?

Whilst this has legs enough for it's own thread, I think the UK is having a bit of an identity crisis at the moment, and as a symbol of nationhood the pound has value beyond it's economic muscle.

ok found a cite for the situation, but not for the blame ;) It's all to do with those 5 stages of integration to become a monetary union...

The EMS (European Monetary System) was introduced in 1979. It was intended to reduce the degree of fluctuations in exchange rates between currencies of the member states -the French franc, the German deutschmark, the Italian lira and so on. Only margins of between 2.25 and 6% were allowed. The need for stability of currencies is central to the success of a single market - the free movement of capital, people and goods is hampered if currencies can be devalued from one day to the next leading to unfair advantage and trade distortions.

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/general_information/ireland_eu/eu/index_en.htm

Periodic adjustments raised the values of strong currencies and lowered those of weaker ones, but after 1986 changes in national interest rates were used to keep the currencies within a narrow range. In the early 1990s the European Monetary System was strained by the differing economic policies and conditions of its members, especially the newly reunified Germany, and Britain (who had initially declined to join and only did so in the late 1980's) permanently withdrew from the system. This led to the so-called Brussels Compromise in August 1993 which established a new fluctuation band of +15%

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Monetary_System

.. unfortunately none of what I've found mentions anything about the germany-crazy moment. I will have to blame emotional bias of my tutor at the time for the gap between truth and LIEZ. I will keep looking for a more detailed overview :)

I like the new coin designs! :)

I think they should have made it so they all combined together into the shield formation to make the ultimate £1.88 coin.... :heh: If i got my maths right...? :blank:

Aha! It was black wednesday, not monday...

From the beginning of the 1990s, high German interest rates, set by the Bundesbank to counteract inflationary effects related to excess expenditure on German reunification, caused significant stress across the whole of the ERM. The UK and Italy had additional difficulties with their double deficits.

The fundamental sterling problem in September 1992 was that the dollar (USD) was rapidly depreciating against the Deutsche Mark (DM). Tied as it was to the ERM, the pound (UKP) was hence appreciating to unsustainable levels against the USD.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday

Interestingly the UK has since done better than the EU countries, averaging a growth of 2.7% each year compared to EU average of 2% and germany average of 1.3%, and some economists dub the day "white wednesday"

I think my economics teacher interpreted Germany's interest rate fixing as the reason we phailed. 10 months down the line the limits were altered to an extent where Britain wouldn't've had to leave but still refused to join up again.

Some of the new designs look a little iffy, like the 5p coin. The others look good , the designs have grown on me now but at first i was like "omg, they look hideous". The £1 coin looks good on its own.

And as for the £2 everyone is asking about, there will be no new design for that coin from what i have been reading on the BBC site.

I like the idea as it goes. But cant believe they got rid of Britannia on the 50p. Ah well

I think they should have made it so they all combined together into the shield formation to make the ultimate £1.88 coin.... :heh: If i got my maths right...? :blank:

Look at the £1 coin

I get the vague impression that someone in the National Mint is frustrated with his or her job.

Honest to god, it's about all we've got to go on. Unless you're not English, in which case you've got your hatred of the English, but since most of the English hate the English too, that only goes so far these days.

Let's all agree on one thing. British Pound Sterling > Everything else.

We piss on the Yanks, and we piss on the French. That's all that matters.

in money markets that's not the case though, it's more Dollar>Euro>Pound

with the Euro soon becoming the strongest

That's what I saw on wiki somewhere, but how is that defined? by literally there being more notes/coins of one currency, or more people in the world using them, or simply just demand/supply? As I know the numeric face value isn't what you go by.

http://www.x-rates.com/

The pound is part of what makes us British. I'm proud of having one of the strongest currencies in the world, and it's limited to one nation.

Anyway, those coins are awesome. Modernising money is the way forward. Bit diappointed about Britannia not being on the 50 pence, but other than that, great. Give us new £5 notes and I'll die happy.

Let's all agree on one thing. British Pound Sterling > Everything else.

We piss on the Yanks, and we piss on the French. That's all that matters.

What about the Aussies? Or the Spanish?

Our notes are hideous:

185px-NorthernBankNI20.png

Although we have a plastic five pound note in circulation!

IEN203.JPG

Nice new coins tho :)

Look at the £1 coin

Hmm.. It's not part of the shield! :)

Ah well that's my dream of an ultimate coin shattered! :D

*goes back to his idea of novelty sized credit cards!*

They should make a large £1.12 coin that has grooves for all the non-£1 coins.