N-Europe

The Spectacular Spider-Man (Cartoon)

ReZourceman

Brand new cartoon series The Spectacular Spider-Man started this weekend on Kids WB (Home/owners of DC entertainment lol!) on Saturday. There were two episodes.

I saw the first minute this morning, and the animation was awesome, style was excellent, voice was good. Cannot wait to watch this when I get back. It delves deeply into a lot of Spideys enemies well known, and not so well known and its gonna be awesome I think.

Ill post later my impressions.

Anyone else seen it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God shit dammit! I DON'T HAVE WBKIDS! I WANT THIS AND I WANT IT NOOOOWWWWWWWW. Is it animated, or CG like that one they made a while ago that I forgot the name of, around the time of the films? It reminded me of ReBoot a tiny bit, cos it was CG like, but I quite liked it. Shame it didn't get recommissioned and ended on such a cliffhanger!

Goddamn, I wanna seeeee it! I'm gonna have to get on the case of doing that. How good is it though, from the eps that you've seen? Does it compare to the 90s, is it better than the CG one? Tbh, I probably still prefer to cheese of the 60s one above all else :D

I liked the CGI one dammit! I wish it had got at least another series.

Anyway, just watching the first episode of this. First impressions? Meh. The style seems a bit too cartoony and light toned, especially compared to the 90s version, but hopefully it's gonna get a bit darker and more serious along the way. I like the story and writing, kind of, it's light hearted and jokey, with some classic spidey banter. The art...not so much, it seems too...round? I guess it's just a case of it being tweaked to appeal to modern audiences, but there's something about it which gets me. I had to agree a bit with what Cube's just said as well.

The villains though? The enforcers and the vulture appear in the first episode(not an origins one) and they seem to have been given a nice new take, which is pretty cool. Seeing the enforcers in the first ep feels good, as I don't feel they've had much exposure in previous media bar the comics. A few significant characters have appeared already too, which is cool.

I think really my only issue with it is probably it's moderness? It feels like it's made for today, and as much as I thought I'd like it, there's just that element grating on me. If I compared it to anything, it'd be Xmen Evolution, only from this first episode, not as well done. Now, I go on a quest for the second!

Seen the second episode, quite nice, somehow it all grew on me in between cos I kinda liked it compared to how I reacted to the first. My only biggest issue is Liz Allen, who seems to constantly call Peter 'Petey' despite being a preppy cheerleader who appears to not know him(unless this is seeding for some backstory between them) and also, she talks like a ghetto retard. I don't mean that figuratively either, she literally sounds like she is from a ghetto and has some sort of speech impediment or mental disability. It really grated on me. She had grown on me a bit by the end though, but only for the potential she has. I'll be honest, I don't know alot about her early character as it is, so this may be how she is in the comics. No signs of MJ yet though, which is a bit weird considering how many important faces are otherwise being thrown in. This episode featured electro, and I enjoyed it. All feels a bit face paced, but I guess they only have half an hour to do things in, and they aren't planning on super long story arcs like the 90s. I'm pretty sure I know what's coming up in the next episode too, can't wait! I like the way there's little things here and there.

Okay, just watched episode 1.

It was freaking sweet! :heh: : peace: :yay:

It was well good. The animation is a brilliant style imo, all the voice acting is good, I like the slightly different takes on characters, Vulture not being green, Connors' robotic arm. and the best thing was the awesome fight choreography! It was REALLY impressive, especially when he fights the enforcers!

That was sweet! Now to watch the second!

~One day later edit~

Well I think its fucking amazing to be fair. I think it has masses of potential, its great how its all linked, the bits they've changed are great, the important stuff they've left the same, characters are awesome, Spideys lol banter is awesome.

Everything about it is extremely satisfying. And the theme tune is undeniably awesome!

SPEC TAC U LAR SPEC TAC U LAR

SPIDER-MAN!

Kids WB?

Is this channel on Sky? I never heard of it? :heh:

Its an American channel. It was the kids branch of The WB, before it merged with UPN and become CW. Although im not sure why they never changed the name to Kids CW...unless they didn't want to confuse the nippers.

And somewhat slightly partially related, has anyone seen that kids tv progamme where theres Batman...as a dog, and Superman as a dog or similar animals. I dunno, I saw it when I switched the TV on a few days ago. And Robin was a...robin. Clever that. Odd show.

Glad I'm not the only one with a problem with the art style, Dante's practically read my mind! When I saw it I thought it looked like some half arsed anime style, a bastardchild mixup of that an standard western fare. There's little point complaining though, cos let's face it, when has the art ever suddenly changed for a cartoon?

As for the theme tune, despite ReZ's thoughts, I don't much like that either! The story/writing however, and the fact it has Spidey, will be enough to keep me interested.

What? Spider-Man looks amazing. You're all fools!

Yeah Harrys voice is easily the worst. However if they ever make him Green Goblin/another goblin then it may have potential to have this whiney chicken shittish voice turn into a real psycho crazy voice.

I can't really see how its "lazy anime style" just because it borrows aspects from that doesnt make it a copy. You can't have completely unique things nowadays.

People should watch it as it is really good....although I guess I am slightly biased.