N-Europe

Life On Mars?

Slaggis

Jesus Christ fellas, if this were genuine we'd be invaded by now.

Why's that? If there is any kind of lifeform on Mars (or indeed any other planet) they're not necassarily going to be more advanced than us. That's just science fiction -------- unless you said that as a joke and I've been really geeky and taken it seriously :wtf:

but yeah definately a rock

It's a god-awful small affair

Silicon based life form.

I've read this before but Wikipedia knows how to word it:

The Earth, as well as other terrestrial planets, is exceptionally silicon-rich and carbon-poor. However, terrestrial life is carbon-based. The fact that carbon, though rare, has proven to be much more successful as a life base than the much more abundant silicon may be evidence that silicon is poorly suited for biochemistry on Earth-like planets.

Plus one of the few silicon based creatures on Earth is a form of algae, I doubt something that big could evolve on Mars.

Silicon based life form.
Yeah, although silicon is the only common element that bonds four times besides carbon, apparently it doesn't support large structures of atoms that well. If it's really hard to synthesize the silicon equivalent of hexane already, it's probably near impossible for self-replicating molecules to develop the silicon equivalent of DNA.

Yeah, although silicon is the only common element that bonds four times besides carbon, apparently it doesn't support large structures of atoms that well. If it's really hard to synthesize the silicon equivalent of hexane already, it's probably near impossible for self-replicating molecules to develop the silicon equivalent of DNA.

What you mean is that we can't do it. It doesn't mean it's impossible, or even unlikely, to state so is to be ignorant.

But yeah, it's most likely a rock. NASA wouldn't have released the pic if they thought it was a living creature.

literaly coulden't be a more obvious rock.

the reason so few people belive in life on mars is because it lacks two things

1. an atmospher

2. water, due to fact one.

side note, who cares? we cant reach each outher, if we could its unlikly we can comunicate beyond a recongintion of each outhers affect on the outher. and if we could comunicate, what use would it be? our existances would be so different there would be nothing of value to trade.

What you mean is that we can't do it. It doesn't mean it's impossible, or even unlikely, to state so is to be ignorant.
Hey hey now, I said nearly impossible. I didn't rule it out, chances are really slim though. The fact that we can't produce it ourselves is a strong indication of the difficulty in nature, as synthesis is an optimised process, very effective on small molecules. Chances of it happening are at least many times smaller than carbon biology. I don't see how I couldn't state anything about its probability as that's the way science works - experimental data is applied to the real world and one says "this probably works that way with a certain degree of certainty". In fact, if I recall correctly my chemistry teacher told my class once silicon atoms couldn't form chains higher than some number (around 10) because the atom's bigger size got in the way of its own molecular structure.

Damn, somebody used the ignorance thing on me :heh:

literaly coulden't be a more obvious rock.

the reason so few people belive in life on mars is because it lacks two things

1. an atmospher

2. water, due to fact one.

side note, who cares? we cant reach each outher, if we could its unlikly we can comunicate beyond a recongintion of each outhers affect on the outher. and if we could comunicate, what use would it be? our existances would be so different there would be nothing of value to trade.

If we knew there was life on mars we would make a greater effort to send people there. There are ways we could try and teach them our language. I'm sure there would be a huge number of things we could trade with them. I would assume earth has more resources than mars.

ok, so our language is sound based, the martian language, or indeed senses cannot be, as the planet has no atmospher due to its size. no atmospher, no air, no possibility of sound.

as for trade, our food would be incompatable with their digestion. they have no vegitation so cant break down cellulose. i suppose meat may be plauasable.

outher resorces like wood are un workable, no experience of wood makes it useless, cant burn it without air can you?

this leaves techknowlogy and philosophy, both of which are tailored to our species, and likely unworkable on mars. metals need to be tempoured and shaped, requiring fire, which cant work on mars.

all pretty insignificant when we consider any life would be bacteria.

ok, so our language is sound based, the martian language, or indeed senses cannot be, as the planet has no atmospher due to its size. no atmospher, no air, no possibility of sound.

as for trade, our food would be incompatable with their digestion. they have no vegitation so cant break down cellulose. i suppose meat may be plauasable.

outher resorces like wood are un workable, no experience of wood makes it useless, cant burn it without air can you?

this leaves techknowlogy and philosophy, both of which are tailored to our species, and likely unworkable on mars. metals need to be tempoured and shaped, requiring fire, which cant work on mars.

All very good points, but the things we've discovered as humans probably don't count for much out in space. Whos to say theres not a race that hasn't discovered our things due to their climate/habitat/brain capacity but has discovered others that we can't! ;)

Our language could be adapted for them.

I'm sure there would be minerals that could be used by them also.

Our technology could also be adapted for them.

By the way, I say rock.

Why does everyone assume the thing in the pic is a life form? Did it move?

Now if it were a statue that was "man" (using the term loosly of course) made, then you could say it is that last remains of a long dead martian civilisation, of course they would be no more now but still proof of former life on mars would be a pretty big discovery too.

Another question...why didn't they go take a closer picture of it?

That is an idiotic view. If we never tried to do things that were thought difficult or impossible, we wouldn't be half as advanced as we are. If we take that attitude then we will never be able to colonize space.

Besides their civilisation may be underground do to the fact that there is no air.