N-Europe

Harder, Better?

Kirkatronics

Which do you like?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like?

Kayne West is just a mediocre rap artist, one of the MTV groomed children unleashed on white-boy pretenders the world over. If you ever turn on the news to discover I've hijacked the Cyprus Hill tour bus with the expressed intention of ram raiding 50 Cent's crib party, be assured that either something has gone terribly wrong for me, or I've only just finally got my shit together. Either way, history will be the judge of me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say it was the only thing he was good at, in fact I didn't really say anything about Kanye's "completely original and still ground breaking" songs. I was merely stating that West was very good at bringing things to the mainstream. If anything it was a dig at pop culture and society. You may find this hard to believe but I actually quite like Kanye West.

I put that link in because he gracefully lost to Justice vs Simian and started mouthing them off. When he lost again to Justice, I think it was the next year, maybe the year after, he completely changed his tune. I never knocked West, I said he is good at what he does.

I find it funny you need to defend some who doesn't need defending against something that I didn't say.

I'm a massive fan of Daft Punk but I'm not insane enough to like everything they do. I don't particularly like their newest album and I sure as hell hate most their remixes.

Thank you for your dignified response. Im not the biggest Kanye West fan either dont get me wrong, but when you look at mainstream hip hop and some of the songs he has released - let me use Jesus Walks as an example - for the time it was released (a time where major label backed rappers were releasing terrible unoriginal records that a microsoft word programme with the words "Nigga" and "Guns" could generare) it was ground breaking. Nobody was saying shit conceptual at that time, Kanye was.

He is a very flawed artist and a very flawed, hypocritical person. But that is half of his appeal.

Kayne West is just a mediocre rap artist, one of the MTV groomed children unleashed on white-boy pretenders the world over. .

Not really. Kanye West is if anything one of the few mainstream rappers completely distancing themself away from the Gangster side of the genre. Alongside people like Common and Mos Def, he has made it cool to be conceptual again.

His content doesnt embrace a gangsta mentality in anyway or form. He enjoys being from a "well raised" family and most importantly doesnt care if that is known by the "Keeping It Real" MTV generation, as you put it. How many gun toting thug rappers would dedicate a grammie performence to their mother? (I am aware that Tupac Shakur is a rare exception)

A mediocre rap artist? Technically maybe. As his technique leaves alot to be desired when compared to some of the greats, but he is an amazing producer and a voice the mainstream side of the hip hop genre needs.

For someone who I regard as very knowing Gaggle, that was a silly misguided thing to say. The second part of your post made me laugh though :)

Thank you for your dignified response. Im not the biggest Kanye West fan either dont get me wrong, but when you look at mainstream hip hop and some of the songs he has released - let me use Jesus Walks as an example - for the time it was released (a time where major label backed rappers were releasing terrible unoriginal records that a microsoft word programme with the words "Nigga" and "Guns" could generare) it was ground breaking. Nobody was saying shit conceptual at that time, Kanye was.

He is a very flawed artist and a very flawed, hypocritical person. But that is half of his appeal.

Each to his own. As long as I can listen to what I like people can listen whatever the hell they like. I don't want people having a go at my tastes so I don't have a go at other peoples. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty dull place! :heh:

I genuinely think that this is one of West's weaker songs, partly because even though Daft Punk aren't in the foreground, I still think they completely dominate the song.

A rap artist or dance/trance?

Its no contest from me, since i detest Kayne West... Chopping my own cock off sounds more fun than listening to his music personally.

Anyone who likes this song, track down: Interstella by Daft Punk. Its his whole Discovery album played out as an anime film. Absolutely crazy.

Its no contest from me, since i detest Kayne West... Chopping my own cock off sounds more fun than listening to his music personally.

Anyone who likes this song, track down: Interstella by Daft Punk. Its his whole Discovery album played out as an anime film. Absolutely crazy.

Its called "Interstella 5555". :wink:

I gotta agree with one good point Intensity raised about Kanye West and one reason I liked his songs(i bought some old school rap when i was first discovering music, so it left a bit of an impression on me I guess) is that he doesn't do the whole gangsta thing, he's not rapping about guns and hos and all that like alot of other guys, and it's one thing I think that makes his music stand out for me. It's also a reason I liked Will Smith when he was making music, why can't rap be like it used to be, clean and clever rhymes about your average everyday things? I guess this is getting more into a discussion about rap than originally intended though.

As for Intersella 5555, I do believe I've heard of it before, they're pretty big in Japan aren't they? I feel like I've seen an anime clip of them too...

I like them both probably equally as much.

*runs up and pushes Dyson off the fence*

As for Intersella 5555, I do believe I've heard of it before, they're pretty big in Japan aren't they? I feel like I've seen an anime clip of them too...

"They" aren't a band, Interstella 5555 is the "visual realization" of Discovery, the album by Daft Punk.

Its in effect a 63 minute long anime music video. :heh:

Interstella 5555 is a bit of an anime movie, which completely integrates all the album songs from Daft Punk's "Discovery". Basically, it's a super long videoclip made for the album. Big in Japan cause of course the movie was made there (plus they seem to love Daft Punk in general). But yes, parts of the movie were used for individual videoclips for the singles.

I think it's definitely worth checking out if you like Daft Punk (even if you only like them a tiny bit). =D

Lol @ people talking about Kanye and hip hop in this thread, who don't have a clue, (bar Intensify of course).

It's actually a House song. The song has no resemblence at all to the genre of Trance! Nice one mentioning the anime movie though.

Oh, also, that live version is decent but it loses so much by not being the full length track, and it's also not even one of the stronger tracks on the album IMO. You should track down the closing song to the album: Encore - Human After All / Together - Together / One More Time (Reprise) - Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You.

It's actually a House song. The song has no resemblence at all to the genre of Trance! Nice one mentioning the anime movie though.

Oh, also, that live version is decent but it loses so much by not being the full length track, and it's also not even one of the stronger tracks on the album IMO. You should track down the closing song to the album: Encore - Human After All / Together - Together / One More Time (Reprise) - Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You.

I actually kinda like the radio version of the remix better because it's shorter and seems to have more impact on me. Though I also do like the album version. I have the album and even though there's a lot of great remixes on there, the one from "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is the one I currently like the most.

Just my opinion of course. =P

Who cares if kanye speaks his mind?

As he said in Diamonds From Seirra leone:

'The international asshole

Who complains about what he is owed?

Or throws a tantrum like he is 3 years old?

You gotta love though somebody still speaks from his soul'

Kanye is a very talented rapper and producer (one of the best tbh). Whether you hate his arrogance or not he is one HELL of a performer, and his grammy performance that FEATURED daft punk on stage shows just how good he is.

"They" aren't a band, Interstella 5555 is the "visual realization" of Discovery, the album by Daft Punk.

Its in effect a 63 minute long anime music video. :heh:

Interstella 5555 is a bit of an anime movie, which completely integrates all the album songs from Daft Punk's "Discovery". Basically, it's a super long videoclip made for the album. Big in Japan cause of course the movie was made there (plus they seem to love Daft Punk in general). But yes, parts of the movie were used for individual videoclips for the singles.

I think it's definitely worth checking out if you like Daft Punk (even if you only like them a tiny bit). =D

Just thought I'd point out by 'they' I meant Daft Punk themselves, I've read a little about Interstella 5555 somewhere before I think. I'll look into it at some point, when I'm finished with my dissertation, I'd like to hear some more Daft Punk really.

I can't actually believe how much of a cauldron forums could be. I saw a poll and accidentally posted my preferred artist. I do like Daft Punk, Ive heard some of their stuff, but I didnt realise they had the original.

"why didnt you read the thread?"

cause it was a quick post. everybody does it.

whoever said you shouldnt judge something without hearing it can go away because I just said that I accidentally posted in the poll for the wrong thing, otherwise I wouldnt have done it.

Anyway, I prefer Lupe to West

I saw the Kanye West video when is first came out and I think I had a mouthful of drink cos I was in the pub. It very almost ended up all over someone...

KW version loses all of the energy and rythmn of the original by slowing it down and dampening the range of sound. Don't even get me started on his drawling (sp?) tone of his voice going on over the whole thing like its trying to hypnotise me to sleep! I'm sure KW is great but this is the only song of his that I've heard and it's one of the worst remixes of any song that I've heard in a long time especially when we are in a day and age when remixes can be pretty good now. "New spin" on it? My arse.

Then there's the video. Not a big fan of the whole rap/hip-hop/RnB thing of half dancing while gesticulating at the cam anyway. But to rip off Akira and manage to completely miss the entire point of the visual style. It looked like some bastardised child of the destiny's child vid for charlies angels, spliced with some mind-numbing crap film like Torque.

Whole thing feels like a gratuitous cash-in.