N-Europe

Tomb Raider: Underworld

Razz

I'm enjoying this so far, just hit the 4th level. It feels like an updated original Tomb Raider game.

The camera is a mess, theres animation glitches but its still alot of fun.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now I just need the cash to pick it up.

Same. I really want this and Sonic. Perhaps with the money I (hopefully) get for Christmas.

Edit: There's one thing I want to know: Is this game mainly locations like the ones in the demo (tombs/temples/etc) or are there too many "modern" levels (like Legend) and are there any poor mainly-shooting levels?

There are literally no "modern" levels, i've just hit the 5th level (the 4th took me over 3 fucking hours...) and i get the feeling i'm getting towards the end.

There are literally no "modern" levels, i've just hit the 5th level (the 4th took me over 3 fucking hours...) and i get the feeling i'm getting towards the end.

The last level is so awesome. The final bit... whoa. Total mind job. You'll love it (or hate it! haha).

Square makes late Eidos bid – but Warner in pole position

Expanding publishers begin to circle struggling Britsoft firm – with an eye on key development assets, say insiders

A battle between East and West looks set to decide the future of Eidos.

MCV understands that both Warner Bros and Square Enix are ready to mount rival acquisition bids this month for the ailing British publisher.

Although national press reports have fingered EA and Ubisoft as potential buyers, nose-tappers are backing Warner as the victor. It already owns 20 per cent of the Britsoft firm, and would only have to spend around $30m for a controlling interest. A spend of around $80m would give it total control, putting Eidos’ current market value at around $120m.

Eidos last month relaxed restrictions on Warner that would otherwise stop it buying more shares.

However, Square is making clear signals of serious interest. Global president Yoichi Wada has already visited Denmark's IO Studio – Eidos’ developer of the Hitman franchise – and is set to return to the UK shortly to move the deal forward.

Our source said: “I think Warners will still win, but it’s very interesting that Square have expressed this late interest. They are clearly looking for Western talent.”

Square Enix could opt to buy single assets – perhaps just IO and the Hitman brand. But shareholders looking to maximise value might prefer an all-or-nothing swoop.

The Tokyo firm has made no secret of its global aspirations. Just last week the company told MCV that this strategy is being driven by a new business development unit established by Western boss John Yamamoto. And whilst it has made significant in-roads with titles like Final Fantasy XII, the firm acknowledges it has few titles with Western appeal.

Eidos, on the other hand, has suffered significantly in the past 12 months, with its rocky year including a management cull, global studio restructuring and financial upheaval – with losses quadrupling and its share price losing over 90 per cent of its value.

Its key Q4 release, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Underworld, currently nestles at number seven in the GFK- ChartTrack All Formats Top 10.

Eidos products, however, cover a raft of genres with Western appeal. Its slate of studios and IP could well complement Square’s activity and plug the gaps in its line-up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to give the demo a go later tonight, and if i like it then i might just pick this up after Christmas depending on how many other titles i beat before then, considering i have games like Prince of Persia, Vegas 2 and Nuts and Bolts still to beat.

So decisions... Just saw the advert for the game, it looked great yet I haven't really considered buying it. Neither have I played a Lara game since the original PC/PS1 games.

Looks really cool, what does everyone make of it? Were the reviews right?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing this a bit recently, it's a lot of fun but there's something very messy about it. It's glitchy and fall damage is stupid and unpredictable, sometimes a 10ft drop will kill you, other times a 4ft drop will kill you, and other times a 20ft drop won't kill you. Collision boundaries are a bit iffy and occasionally Lara seems to jump in the complete opposite direction to the one I was pushing. Also - so far every level has been one or two big puzzles and nothing else.

My biggest gripe though is the secret collectibles... treasure in this game is stupid. I miss TRII! The 3 dragons per level in that game was the right number of secrets, hard to find - dangerous and you got a nice bonus weapon if you found them all. In this game there's about 20-30 strange gem things per level! Every room seems to have about 10 jars in, 3 or 4 of which will have a completely useless 'secret' treasure hidden in.

Meh, this is a really messy post about this game, I'm just not sure how I feel about it. Plenty of things seem stupid but at the same time they haven't really ruined my overall enjoyment, I still feel that I want to go back to it, and I want it to last (although I have a sneaky suspicion it won't). It's fun and it looks great, but the combat is dumb, the adrenaline system useless and the levels all feel the same. I think what I really want is TR Anniversary 2!

Just finished it. There were a few annoying parts, but stuff like the camera was aright once I stopped trying to correct it (it actually shows you all you need to see if you don't touch the stick). Awesome game, and some lovely graphics. The bike was also extremely awesome.

It's slightly disappointing that there wasn't a big boss, but the big machine was kind of cool.

The biggest problem I had with the plot was Natla. Mainly because I had absolutely no idea who she was (the only TR I played before Legend was TR2, and I forgot that Natla was the woman giving you instructions in Anniversary because I lost all interest in the game in Egypt and so never found out who she really was...I really never expected the plot to link to Anniversary, either). Still, perhaps she survives and we'll fight her in a later game.

I'm curious as to what future games will contain, as the Avalon and Lara's Mother (I thought that part was horrific, but well done to the developers for doing it) storylines are finished. No doubt it'll involve Amanda and possible Natla. Perhaps the DLC will give us a better idea.

Ahh man, treasure hunting is a bitch! There's so many to get! (See previous post for complaints) but at the same time... I'm enjoying it :D 4 more to find on the first level, haven't got a clue! And there's so much underwater stuff to search at the beginning >.< not cool. Managed to find 2 relics on my way through the game though, and 1 while treasure hunting in the first level :D Just a case of how long I can go for before I give up and go to gamefaqs or youtube :p

• 3 weeks later...

I started this yesterday morning and finished it last night and I loved it to bits. The only thing that bothered me is the amount of relics and treasure you have to get, its not really a bad thing but I would imagine if you were to skip getting them then the game would be half the length. I will test this theory out as im about to try hard mode :)

EDIT: Just finished hard mode and yeah its ALOT shorter if you dont get the treasures. I started it at 10:40 and I finished it at 14:15.

• 4 weeks later...

Slight bumpage but is anyone else buying the first of the DLC for the 360? After a two week delay Beneath The Ashes hits Marketplace tomorrow (24/02) for 800 MSP. Basically a new level (or levels?) underneath Lara's mansion and an extra 125 gamerpoints. I'm a bit of a Tomb Raider nerd so I've already got my points ready and am quite excited to play the new area. Anyone else downloading?

Okay, I'd suggest people give this a miss for now.

It is a good, well designed level so I feel a bit mean saying that, but it simply isn't worth 800 points. It took me roughly an hour to complete it — 20-odd out of 28 Treasures, although I didn't find the Relic — and whilst I will play through it again to nab the remaining collectibles that's still going to mean less than two hours of play time for £6.80. If it were 400 points I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoyed Underworld, but as is I don't think it's very good value for money.

On the upside it has some interesting puzzles that make good use of the improved grapple physics, and the level itself is very reminiscent of Anniversary in its phased approach; rather than a linear progression you'll end up looping back through previously visited rooms as the environment changes and new paths open up. It's also more challenging in terms of spatial awareness than the majority of the main game's levels, and whilst there is combat the enemies tend to come at you one at a time; spiders, bats and thralls, for those wondering.

Good level, bad price, basically.