NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mcj metroid

Depression

I had a depression for 2/3 years and I shaked it off with strength and the help of friends and family (and a hipnotherapist). It was hard and combined with IBS, it formed a very crappy cycle. I still feel depressed now and then, but it's important to remember that feeling blue isn't a medical condition, it's normal for everyone, specially in today's society and in teenagers. Having a depression is not just feeling sad often, it's a chemical inbalance in your brain and feeling CONSTANTLY down, having problems concentrating, crying out of the blue, etc. Doctors like to class every little psychological problem as a depression and pump us full of medication, so don't be hasty to say that you have a depression, or you'll end up really having one. It's hard to explain, but I think you get the drift.

The most important thing is to take your time and realise that your health comes first, the rest can wait. It won't go away in a day and you'll have tough days, but keep your chin up and fight.

I scored 48 on the Goldberg questionnaire which falls under 'Moderate - Severe' depression. However, I don't think I have depression. Okay, sure, I do feel depressed right now but that's hardly surprising given the rut I'm in right now. Besides, it's a rut of my own making; I'm not going to hide behind a supposed chemical imbalance.

Don't get me wrong, I know that depression is a very real condition and one that can destroy multiple lives, but it seems to me to be somewhat over prescribed. It's a bit like how some people class every cold as the flu, you know? I don't imagine the proliferation of self-diagnosis internet questionnaires and the like particularly help matters, and at least amongst some teenagers depression is seen as something of a badge of honour.

Wow, that explains a LOT. Thanks for sharing that, it takes a lot of courage, I'm sure.

It seems so contradictory though, you have no interest in things yourself and you won't let other people tell you what to do, resulting in nothing. You're not getting anywhere either way.

What is it you really want to do with your life then?

Well, applied to uni for English, and definitely going next year, which will be a huge positive step, I'm sure, although it was tough to explain that I've basically just been sat on my ass. It's like killthenet says, I can't show any creative interests without being condescended to.

Also; this is uncomfortable, I think it's difficult to give an accurate account at a low point, and I've probably given the wrong idea. After all "the intimate revelations of young men, or at least the terms in which they express them, are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions." So...I'm off.

Also, got a 58 in that test \o\

Don't matter, school's been very rough and I'm going through a hard patch right now, it's normal that I'm feeling depressed again.

I see what you mean Bard. It seems to me that people, well, retarded people as you called them, just have different expectations and different goals than people like you and me. They're happy just to work some crappy job so that they can enjoy a comfortable existance. To them creating something or devoting your life to a creative project seems silly, they just don't see any importance in it unless you end up becoming successful.

We should have a threesome.

I was going to make a thread about how people relieve stress or cheer themselves up because lately things have been going a bit weird and wrong lately.

Last night just depressed me, but I took the test and got 12 because its not usual that I'm depressed since I'm usually quite cheerful. But when I feel down, I feel very down.

Some of your scores seem disturbingly high (no offence), have any of you seen special help?

I got a score of 23. Hmm was expecting lower.

I'm full of ups and down tbh. I expect SO much of myself but i had such a shit year last year with family issues and illnesses plaguing my exams, and then i was treated shit by my ex when i felt she was the closest thing i had. Now I kinda get the impression that i'm drifting away from everyone i care about and when people go off to uni and i won't be (applying next year)...well, i kinda think everyone will forget about me.

Do i let it get to me?

No. Because i love life and wake up every morning knowing how lucky I am. Things get me down but i'll always bounce back from bad shit because that's what makes our character and that's what us earn self respect.

I think a Rocky quote in needed ( :heh:).

'When you're giving it all you got and you're fighting someone who's not backing down, well, that's baptism underfire. Because only then do you get the only type of respect that's important in this word; self respect'.

Here's a question for those of you that suffer for depression; what do you see when you look in a mirror?

main signes of clinical depression is that you lose the joy/pleasure of things you used to like ie, no longer finding games/sports/friends pleasurable. constant stress and deep thinking followed by the so called "feeling low" and social withdrawal/isolation.

episodes can include sorrow and crying, pointlessness and sometimes suicidal thoughts (as a result of feeling low and pointless)

treatment includes amitryptalin 10,25 or 50mg along with citalopram 10-40mg

feeling low on random times isnt really depression, it must occure far too often to be concidered depression.

ps, british weather is one of the main factors in depression especially autemn to spring period

I wouldn't say I'm depressed. Isn't there a statistic somewhere saying that actually quite a lot of people suffer from something that would be classified as depression.

I got a score of...3. (0 - 9 No Depression Likely) Woo go me and my lack of depression!

A three?! I think another Rocky quote is needed: "screw you creepo!"

I scored a 64, but luckily the test isn't a diagnosis.

I was very depressed this time last year it was a very very dark time for me. I just didn't want to live anymore, i really wished i was dead. I didn't go to work, I didn't eat, i stopped going out. But since I was actually alive i didn't want to live in that state of mind so i tried so hard to get on with my life and to get over it. And guess what I did, it was ALOT of hard work, all in all it took a year and a half but I'm happy again. Not 100% but i don't think i was ever 100% happy. I did try AD's but the side effects were bad for me, and after about 6 months I came off them slowly against my doc's wishes. It was the best thing I ever did!

I don't think I'll ever go back to that state of mind again. I know what to do when I start to feel "weird" and I have a good support network to help me when times get bad.

As for that test this time last year i got top marks, now i only got 13! Yey for me!

A three?! I think another Rocky quote is needed: "screw you creepo!"

I scored a 64, but luckily the test isn't a diagnosis.

Its not a diagnosis, but its still okay to call me a creepo? XD

I scored 20 and this is the best I've felt in over a decade.

I know exactly what you mean but it is hard to explain.. I avoid that for reason i said a while ago I'm afraid of being seen as a complainer the whole time when people clearly have worse problems.. That and I make friends worry sometimes.. and I don't want that at all.

People may have worse problems but that doesn't change the fact that you feel you have a problem. (I should apply this logic to myself but its much easier to advise other people.) Its good you have friends who worry about you.

Full of extremes this thread :shock:

I scored an 8 and I thought I was 'depressed' because of uni work and the winter in general...

I got 5. I think what got me was that I've become a bit of an insomniac over the holidays.

I like to think that I am mentally a very strong person. I drive all negative emotions away, except for anger. I be myself as much as possible, even if makes me appear less sociable. What keeps me going is I see myself as someone, and I see myself getting somewhere in the future. And most of all, I enjoy myself.

I got 5. I think what got me was that I've become a bit of an insomniac over the holidays.

I like to think that I am mentally a very strong person. I drive all negative emotions away, except for anger. I be myself as much as possible, even if makes me appear less sociable. What keeps me going is I see myself as someone, and I see myself getting somewhere in the future. And most of all, I enjoy myself.

And that's why you're one of my best mates; you're just you and you don't change around anyone.

Ahh you're such a legend :heart:

My score: 7

::shrug:

A mere 7 for a Villa fan? What is the world coming to?

I got 8 on that test, yays for happiness! :D Which is very odd for this time of year, only ever really been sad at two points in my life and both were the start of January - mid feb. Thought it might have been SAD but this year would suggest not :heh: I'm very rarely sad anymore, if I ever feel like I might be I just remember I have a pretty damn good life and just think about people with real problems.

I've never been truly depressed, but Ive had a couple of low points. I'm an obnoxiously cheerful person.

I think I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be sitting in a dark, dank room, fag in hand and booze in teh other, creaking over my laptop trying to be CREATIIIVE for the rest of my life.

I've been depressed, sure. But let's not go there :) Feeling relatively upbeat at this stage in my life. We'll see what depression is like as a 20-something, as I'm sure the teenage years are a fairly depressing period for most people anyway.

Sign in to follow this