Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

High Definition War

fex

Underrated? Only if it had some good exclusive games, games didn't cost around £5 extra, and third party games came out on the same day as the 360's version. Then I would call it underrated.

I do expect the sales of PS3's to pick up when people realise it's a real attractive price point for a blu-ray player / media hub

Games never seem to cost five pound extra if you go to a good store. And also alot fo the Sony games go for £29.99, which is damn nice of them. Uncharted was one of them. :)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would really as the damage has been done with the studios picking Blu Ray. At the end of the day PS3 and the studios have decided this war. Just got to wait for Universal to move to Blu Ray now and Paramount to really regret their decision...

I bet if apple put a blu-ray drive in the mac mini it would really limit PS3 sales.
Yeah, I've been thinking that too. A significant percentage of the PS3 sales will have to have come from Blu-ray enthusiast who don't care about games but buy it as a Blu-ray player for cheeps. Competition of other BD players going cheaper and other media might strain PS3 sales even more.

New Line have taken in? No surprises there.

Also, c'man, the ps3 has a good year of exclusives coming, and with it being the best value Blu-Ray player on the market, once word gets out to the general public that Blu-Ray's the "future", there WILL be a massive rise in PS3 sales.

Also, why be "worried" that they'll catch up with Nintendo? No-one's allowed to share their success?

since the 40GB model was introduced PS3 sales have been quite healthy, along with next years line up i wouldn't worry about sales.
Probably, but I wonder how much PS3 sales are actually there for the games. A €400 Blu-ray player will sell like hotcakes (for a player) anyway, but if the prices inevitably come down, it's going to get a lot of competition in that sales area too.

If they catch up we could see less exclusive wii games.

I really wouldn't worry about that, the Nintendo games are all that really matter on the Wii.

Serious question.

Chances of M$ releasing a blu ray addon to replace HDDVD Drive?

I'm pretty sure MS have said before that that was one of the reasons HD-DVD wasn't included in the box. They can move over to Blu-Ray if (when) HD-DVD fails.

As for those wondering how many non-gamers are buying the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player I'd say its a hell of a lot less than the amount of non-gamers buying the Wii as a toy.

Just to be clear MS are squarely in the HDDVD side. Hence the HDDVD add on for 360 and not Blu ray despite sales, specs, everything. They have also been very public and explicit about their support for HDDVD. Some of the people here suggesting they are neutral are completely wrong. The ones who actually brought into the add on are paying for it. Not only for the worst use of optical HD disks but its now effectively dead.

The news about Warner leaving has left the whole HDDVD group shocked and in tatters. So much so their CES Press Conference was cancelled. Likely there is inhouse wrangling going on. Its been a disaster for HDDVD.

Does anyone know of any stores doing good PS3 bundles inc Blu-Ray movies. Preferably not Spider-man / PotC.

I know Woolies is doing PS3 + Game + Planet Earth (blu-ray) - £335

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=2895;6;-1;-1&sku=722250&WT.ac=hc_consoles_home_temp_page-PBODY-GAMES_OFFERS_BANNERS_2-buy+a+PS3+and+get+2+blu-rays+for+free%21-722250

Havent really checked. Oddly Amazon are sold out.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!