Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

High Definition War

fex

Thats true' date=' obviously the major factor is MS don't want to support one of their most public rivals formats. They've never denied that they would support blu-ray should it become the dominant format though.[/quote']

That was only ever suggessted by Peter Moore that they would support Blu Ray if they had no choice. Right now HDDVD is alive it wont die until Toshiba kils the format themselves. The current events just really push more sales to Blu ray's side. Which it has always been winning. MS have been acting as a nuissance in this war prolonging it.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been suggested by a few other executives within Microsoft also. Its not really up to Toshiba at all, they can carry on making players for the next hundred years, if no-ones releasing anything to play on them then the format is as good as dead.

With the recent happenings can you really say HD-DVD is alive even now? I don't keep up with the battle too much but will anything of note now be coming to the format exclusively?

If blu-ray wins the battle, which it almost certainly has given the recent events, and it seems people are buying a PS3 soley for blu-ray support I'd say its a pretty safe bet that MS won't be too far away from releasing an add-on for the 360.

From reading the last couple pages, would it be a good move to sell my HD DVD drive and HD DVDs asap?

Don't! You might have something rare in your possession.

No really, why would you need to sell them? You've got some movies and you've got the player, so you have some use for it. There's no reason to sell it like it's your atari stock.

From reading the last couple pages, would it be a good move to sell my HD DVD drive and HD DVDs asap?

I know a few people have said to keep it, but I think perhaps you should get rid of it, unless you've got some HD-DVD exclusives that aren't out on Blu yet. You might as well sell your HD-DVD drive, grab some cash for it and clear up some space, it's pointless having something that will be next to useless.

Sell them ASAP for best value. Unless you have a good reason.

If blu-ray wins the battle' date=' which it almost certainly has given the recent events, and it seems people are buying a PS3 soley for blu-ray support I'd say its a pretty safe bet that MS won't be too far away from releasing an add-on for the 360.[/quote']

Its will be a long time if they even decide to do so tright now. They are a key HDDVD player and were suppossed to present at the conference. They are nothing like Warner who were courting both sides.

Live from Toshiba's CES press conference

10:10 - Director of Corporate Communications just took the stage - Next up: Jodi Sally to "address" their HD DVD business, but first, President & CEO Mr. Ozaka

10:12 - Great success for Regza LCDs and HD DVD, strong Q4 sales for HD DVD - Really, it says so on the slide.

10:13 - "Very surprised by Warner announcement about HD DVD...etc", basically the same as the press release issued earlier.

10:15 - Jodi Sally is on stage "It's been a tough day for me (laughs)".

10:16 - "Only HD DVD has deliver on its commitments to the market, bringing advanced functionality and affordability"

"We've been declared dead before...unit sales in Q4 were the best to date. Nearly 1 million dedicated HD DVD players are in the market" "HD DVD has always put the interests of consumers ahead of companies"

10:18 - "Thanks for your continued support, a slide of all the awards HD DVD has gotten in the past year" -- and that's it.

To me it sounds as if there saying that's it for HD-DVD.

Its a shame too since it is the spiritual successor to the dvd. But really I don't think even with this HD movie war that either will succeed for a while even when a clear winner has been announced. Because the DVD format is so popular its not dying for now. Even the video lasted quite some time into the DVD's life time.

DVDs are too cheap at the moment. I, like most people, will stick with those until someone can offer blu-ray movies for under a tenner. More likely there'll be some other format long before that happens

Blu Ray is in the early adopter stage. Its basically replacing high margin dvd products (expensive dvd products). It will take years to overtake DVD ofcourse but growth has been faster than dvd's first years so far. Format wise it has a ton of support so dont expect any rival format to emerge anymore.

But DVD replaced a previous, analog format. The switch from VHS to DVD was much more logical than the one to BluRay.

I personally think that, before the time everyone's switched to a next-generation format, digial downloads will be the real future. Let's wait and see.

Guest Jordan

Keeping fanboys at bay on both sides here.

Why the hell would MS actually care who won or not? Their codecs power both formats! They make money either way.

The switch from Video to DVD happened alot easier (maybe quicker, maybe higher adoption rate, whatever) because you didn't need to buy a new swanky television to watch it on. A 1080p tele plus a blu-ray player costs alot, alot more than the majority of people are willing to pay especially when DVD quality satisfies them.

Gimmie Ultra High Definition.

People were more eager to move from VHS to DVD because there was no rewinding and there was the fancy new menu system. You didn't need a new TV to benefit from it. The only new thing Blu-ray really offers is higher quality video for HDTV owners and since 90%(?) of people are still using SDTVs there's no advantage to getting a Blu-ray player for the average consumer.

People were more eager to move from VHS to DVD because there was no rewinding and there was the fancy new menu system. You didn't need a new TV to benefit from it. The only new thing Blu-ray really offers is higher quality video for HDTV owners and since 90%(?) of people are still using SDTVs there's no advantage to getting a Blu-ray player for the average consumer.

i'd say the main reason was that your VHS video collection would degrade with time and humidity. Otherwise agree.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!