NEurope
Dante

Lost : Series 4

You got a link to the interview where he said it? Lol, take his point though... he didn't do much, just stayed on the freighter, chopped up the engine, put it back together, got exploded.

And i doubt Jin will be alive. He should really have survived it but as the freighter wasn't within the main 'globe' of the island he wouldn't have been able to get back in time before it disapeared. And I can't see him living for 3 years off island without running into the other losties, or finding Sun.

Also, I took Hurleys talk to Walt as if he just couldn't bring himself to tell Walt that his dad died...

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/878/878043p1.html?RSSwhen2008-05-30_131400&RSSid=878043

You got a link to the interview where he said it? Lol, take his point though... he didn't do much, just stayed on the freighter, chopped up the engine, put it back together, got exploded.

And i doubt Jin will be alive. He should really have survived it but as the freighter wasn't within the main 'globe' of the island he wouldn't have been able to get back in time before it disapeared. And I can't see him living for 3 years off island without running into the other losties, or finding Sun.

Also, I took Hurleys talk to Walt as if he just couldn't bring himself to tell Walt that his dad died...

What if Faraday and his crew on the zodiac picked him up and the other losties who jumped overboard?

Sun did say to whitmore, we werent the only ones to get off the island. Now she could mean Desmond and Frank or faraday and his posse.

What if Faraday and his crew on the zodiac picked him up and the other losties who jumped overboard?

Sun did say to whitmore, we werent the only ones to get off the island. Now she could mean Desmond and Frank or faraday and his posse.

Faraday and his crew on the zodiac saw the light and they might have been taken as well with the island.

Looks like some answers been told in the final eps.

Polar bears were used to move the wheel because they were trained them on the smaller island to solve complicated puzzles, so it is feasible that they could train them to push the wheel as well.

The polar bears are there so that no one has to be banished if the island moves. When organic matter moves the wheel it gets transported to Tunisia, where both Ben and a dharma polar bear were moved.

Faraday and his crew on the zodiac saw the light and they might have been taken as well with the island.

YAY!! I thought he'd made it back to the Zodiac when it boomed. I rewatched that bit, you're right. Ahh thats a relief, Faraday rocks.

Looks like some answers been told in the final eps.

Polar bears were used to move the wheel because they were trained them on the smaller island to solve complicated puzzles, so it is feasible that they could train them to push the wheel as well.

The polar bears are there so that no one has to be banished if the island moves. When organic matter moves the wheel it gets transported to Tunisia, where both Ben and a dharma polar bear were moved.

Good call, I didn't make that connection. Pretty much explains the polar bears then.

So next season will likely be Island events leading to Locke's death, while the Oceanic 6 try and get back... could be abit meh :/

From E! Online

largely about the who, what, when, where, why and how of getting back to the Island, and season six is about what happens when everybody finally returns and reunites.

And Kristin has it on good authority that Jin is fine. Put your minds at ease.

Yeh Jin could've just jumped off the boat as you didn't see him on the deck when it blew. Hurley playing chess with Mr. Eko was quite random. I think Sun must've some how found out Jin was still alive, I don't think she'd team up with Whitmore to save Juliet and co.

This whole moving of the island thing, i'm wondering how many times it's happened before. The Dharma team constantly referred to an 'incident' in the past which fucked them over basically. It'd make sense the others move the island after they killed off Dharma. Certainly explains the Black Rock, it must have been in the center of the island when it rematerialised.

Certainly explains the Black Rock, it must have been in the center of the island when it rematerialised.

Could 'the others' be descendents of passengers on the Black Rock? Did we ever find out how the others actually got the island in the first place?

Possible, but someone must have moved the island for the Black Rock to end up there in the first place.

Possible, but someone must have moved the island for the Black Rock to end up there in the first place.

or something Tales :p

Last night on Lost, Ben moved the island—presumably thousands of miles. Could he actually do that, without huge accelerations that would obliterate all structures and kill all the people on the island? The surprising answer, in physics, is yes ... sort of. The trick is that you don't really move the island. Rather, you change its space-time connection to the rest of the Earth.

Space and time in relativity theory are quite flexible. Gravity is one manifestation of that. According to Einstein's discovery, the presence of mass-energy warps space-time; what we perceive as gravity is just the curvature of space-time. That's the Theory of General Relativity, now firmly established by experimental tests. The strange behavior of time and space (the fact that two twins traveling apart can experience different amounts of time, for example) are verified daily in our physics labs, using radioactive particles rather than twins. I've verified this myself.

Here's a simple example of how you can change distances without moving. The distance between the Sun and Alpha-Centauri is about 4.3 light years. If a small black hole passed in between, the gravitational effects on the two stars would be negligible—yet the direct line distance between the two would become infinite. The two stars haven't moved; rather, you have changed the nature of space in the in-between region. The black hole has an infinitely deep space warp surrounding it. Of course, if you want to travel between the two stars, just go around—avoid the black hole.

Perhaps you've read about wormholes, those theoretical objects in current relativity theory. We don't know of any that exist, but they do appear to be possible. Physicists love to play with the concept. They can connect two parallel universes, or two parts of a folded universe. (A folded universe has three special dimensions that are curved in a fourth special dimension.)

To make physics sense of the movement of the island in Lost, I assume that the island is actually connected to the South Pacific by a wormhole-like warp in space-time. (It doesn't have to be a simple worm hole; it could be a warren of parallel and intersecting tubes.) Then, to move the island, all you have to do is move the wormhole connection, not the island itself. That's what I think Ben did. He changed the nature of the space-time connection between the island and the rest of the world.

So the island didn't disappear. It didn't even move. Imagine that you are visiting a small town that you used to visit when you were young. You drive for miles, and never come to it. But it turns out the town has not moved. Rather, the highway now goes around it. That's what Ben did—he changed the highway.

If this is right, it explains the role of Daniel Faraday, the physicist. From the references on his blackboard, and his experiments with space-time, it's clear he understands advanced relativity and quantum mechanics. He insists on traveling to and from the island on a precise trajectory of 305 degrees—perhaps to stay in the center of the wormhole, which is sort of like the eye of the needle. Stay within the eye, and you're okay—but any deviation wreaks havoc on your space-time (especially for a complex wormhole), thus accounting for Desmond's strange excursions in space and time.

I'm guessing if you have a real wormhole, it would have a structure like a sponge, and if you wander off and get stuck in that space-time continuum, then all sorts of strange things would happen. What would happen would be unpredictable, just like scientists have a hard time predicting waves in the ocean or a candle flame in the breeze. Those things are just complicated.

The Season Four finale also makes reference to the Casimir Effect. This is a well known phenomenon in quantum mechanics, and has been measured experimentally. The Casimir effect is a consequence of the fact that the vacuum contains energy. Some people speculate that one could draw on this vacuum energy for an unlimited supply. I don't think so, but maybe I am wrong, and Ben has figured out a way to do that. I suspect that Ben, too, is a physicist—the one person who has figured out how to understand the connection between quantum theory and relativity, and to manipulate them—at least to some degree, just as he manipulates people. That's why Charles Widmore is so anxious to capture Ben alive. Only Ben really understands the physics.

Richard Muller is a professor of physics at the University of California at Berkeley.

Watched it tonight on Sky... and it was great stuff. Not alot was answered if anything tbh, but you learn not to expect the answers and enjoy the mystery of it all. I hope Jin is alive because Sun was utterly gutted when she saw the bomb go off- and rightly so. I wonder how they will find the island again to return to it? Well, if Ben is gonna help then it *shouldn't* be too hard cos that weasle always has a trick up his sleave!

And if Bentham was Locke... then who's in charge of the others?

Des and Penny getting reunited was great to see. :weep:

Watched it tonight on Sky... and it was great stuff. Not alot was answered if anything tbh, but you learn not to expect the answers and enjoy the mystery of it all. I hope Jin is alive because Sun was utterly gutted when she saw the bomb go off- and rightly so. I wonder how they will find the island again to return to it? Well, if Ben is gonna help then it *shouldn't* be too hard cos that weasle always has a trick up his sleave!

And if Bentham was Locke... then who's in charge of the others?

Des and Penny getting reunited was great to see. :weep:

'Penny?!?!'

'Desmond!??!'

*they hug*

Jack: yeah we need to talk...

Also, can't locke ONLY die if someone else takes over as the chosen one? I wouldn't be surprised if they take Johns body back to the island and he's fine, seeing as on the island he's seemingly invincable (like the time he got shot).

Yeah, Jack was straight to the point with it. But after everything we've seen Desmond and Penny going through, it was definitely good to see them refind each other. Taking Locke's corpse back to the island and for him to be resurrected would be too good. I've enjoyed Locke in it so he shouldn't be dead! :heh:

Yeah, Jack was straight to the point with it. But after everything we've seen Desmond and Penny going through, it was definitely good to see them refind each other. Taking Locke's corpse back to the island and for him to be resurrected would be too good. I've enjoyed Locke in it so he shouldn't be dead! :heh:

That flashforward was 3 years in the future, right? I think we're still going to be seeing a lot of him in the next series on the island. They can't make him leader of the others and then not see anything about it.

Was aaaawesome, but they're fucking killing off all my favourite characters...Boone, then Charlie, and then Jin. Wouldn't be surprised if Sawyer and Hurley end up getting fucked over too.

To be honest though, the whole moving the island thing is getting a tad surreal. I hope they're going somewhere with this.

To be honest though, the whole moving the island thing is getting a tad surreal. I hope they're going somewhere with this.

I lost all hope of there being a 'non-supernatural' explanation for this a while ago..

I'm also a bit annoyed about them killing off so many characters too. The 'happy ending' to the Lost story would have been the vast majority of the people stranded on the island being rescued, getting home and living happily ever after. With only arounsd half of the originals left alive, that's not going to happen, unless there's a few resurrections. Still, as long as Rose and Bernard get home safely, I'll be happy. ;)

Still, as long as Rose and Bernard get home safely, I'll be happy. ;)

Haha, they're my favourite characters too! Rose is awesome, she's so down-to-Earth. She doesn't want to leave the island though as she thinks her cancer will come back.

I can't believe no ones mentioned Jim Robinson yet...! Old man Widmore is definitely a character we need to see more of in the next two series.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of Charles Widmore in series 5. Speaking of him, a theory that one of my work colleagues put forward today was that the pair of skeletons that Jack found back in series 1 will turn out to be Desmond and Penny, who had to escape capture from her dad and went back in time to live on the island years before the crash happened. Not a bad theory, considering how they're putting time travel into it now..

I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. Desmond is one of my favourite characters brother.

I also hope we see more of Faraday. :)

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of Charles Widmore in series 5. Speaking of him, a theory that one of my work colleagues put forward today was that the pair of skeletons that Jack found back in series 1 will turn out to be Desmond and Penny, who had to escape capture from her dad and went back in time to live on the island years before the crash happened. Not a bad theory, considering how they're putting time travel into it now..

Yeh i heard that one aswell, works out quite well, also cause the skeletons apparently had a black and white stone identical two that could be seen in Des and Penny's flat... i might find the picture when i can be bothered

Edit: Turns out im less lazy that i thought - http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/2007/02/desmondpenny-adameve.html

stonesnew.jpg

Also would explain Widmore being like 'You'll never find her' to Ben

Wow, yeah. Thats ridiculous.

After reading interviews with the writers it really does look like this theory has a leg to stand on.

If that's not Ben, I'll buy a hat for the sole purpose of eating it with gusto

*ahem* sorry for the massive bump buut... someone made a promise!

I just watched the entire 4th season over the last 48 hours and... well it was awesome. A lot of interesting episodes and a lot of evolution with the whole mythos of the island.

Considering the cliff-hanger at the end of 3 was 'omg teh futuur! who died? Who survived? How did they get off the island? Are the rescuers the good guys?' ... the season did pretty well answering them; of course the answers are always "weelll... I'm afraid it's just not as simple as that..."

New questions then? Who on the freighter is dead/alive, if anyone (was I the only one who thoought it was mighty selfish of jack et al to hog the chopper for themselves and let the second-rate survivors run around like chickens?)? For those left on the island (rose, bernard, juliet, sawyer, locke) will they hook up with each other again? What's locke's new role going to be? What do the other's want? Will we find out about what they do with the kids (i presumed Walt had the desmond ability to leap around in space/time?) Will that woman from the tail end of the plane be with them? Will daniel and the boaters hook up, too? will redheadlady find what she wants, despite Ben having gone now?

Then you got the 'real' world! Do we know who the people Sayid is killing are? Will we see 'flashforwards/backs' showing locke talking about the hoaxy stuff? Will they get back to the island? is ben still to be considered the 'good' guy compared to widmore? will we see more of frank, desmond and penny? Will we understand what happened to claire?

*mind melts* .... yeah. lots of new questions, not all important of course.

I liked the finale - the lack of a massive twist is fine with me as I enjoy watching the show develop and unfurl, as there are always questions to be answered! At least the show hasn't run off into parallel dimensions.

Also; I wonder about... wossisname... ghost talker dude? I hope we see more of the "rescuers" backstories.

2 things of interest that I think are worthy of noting:

1. Locke's alias is 'Jeremy Bentham'. Both John Locke and Jeremy Bentham were empiricist philosophers. Coincedentally, I was reading some bentham just before watching the episode so I was chuckling on the inside every time they said his name..

2. Ben goes to somewhere very cold to move the island. Could this place be the connection between the island and the polar bears?

Y'know I was thinking the same thing about Bentham throughout the finale, so the end wasn't too surprising. I like this idea about polar bears as it explains how the skeleton got to the desert :) I'd bet it's still a bit more fucked up than just that, though.

I dislike this theory. Alchemy stones such as those are used to make decisions, and the owner usually keeps them on their person at all time, not spread out like that on a table! But I guess there's no sense ruling anything out, eh? I just don't think it's entirely possible to go back in time on the island. Well, as if I even know!

Soo.. anyone still care about lost?