• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the ARC comes with a title as Im sick of buying add-on's for my existing consoles. A AAA title would shift the device but otherwise I have a perfecly capable motion controlled console with brilliant AAA games in my house already thanks.

I wonder what people gagging for an HD Wii will think of this. I'm sure it'll make a nice change from games looking like arse.

Obviously some people will be interested (mainly people who already have a PS3), but unless PS3 can play Nintendo games (without emulation :heh:) it's not going to make that much difference.

My question is, when/if A HD Wii comes out, what will you and all the other anti-Wii crowd, think of that.

My Guess is, not a lot.

An HD Wii will still have a crap processor (power), virtually non-existant 3rd party support, horrendous online and a distinct lack of flexibility that have allowed the 360 and especially the PS3 to expand beyond their initial capabilities (3D, Home, Avatars, Trophies, Video Store, PSN).

I'm just amazed people can stick with the Wii because of first party games when their releases are so infrequent.

I'm not sure what it would take for me to go back to the Wii. It wouldn't be a replacement to other systems by any means, but it would need 4 or 5 brilliant games to make me buy one. I'm not sure if Metroid, Mario or Zelda do that for me anymore. It did for the GC, DS (and the Wii when it originally came out) but they need to make something new instead of falling back on old franchises.

I don't really care how long it takes for them to get their act together, I'm fine with just one console right now, but it would be nice to see a positive change within 5 years.

Stuff.

Structurally the old franchises are pretty much the same as they've always been. Their's no drive to push the medium forward beyond it being a toy or a plaything.

With the 360 and PS3, the games are more an experience, they try to be more cinematic or more interactive. The Wii...just wants to be fun...which, is pretty boring.

There's the old argument that gameplay is more important than graphics. That binary does not exist any more (if it ever actually did). I think the problem is that there is too much focus on gameplay when their is really not much that needs improving - especially considering the other areas that are lacking.

It's like only watching films that are comedies.

Edited by Daft

A Wii that just upscales, or even renders games in HD resolutions would be a bad idea this late in the cycle. There really wouldn't be much point to it with a successor to the console coming most likely within the next few years. Especially since the current Wii is still selling regardless of HD or not. By the time it stops selling, HD isn't going to start sales up again.

I'm not sure if Metroid, Mario or Zelda do that for me anymore. It did for the GC, DS (and the Wii when it originally came out) but they need to make something new instead of falling back on old franchises.

The franchises are where the quality is. The franchises are the reason that Nintendo exist and will continue to be what they are - AAA producers of videogames. Arguably they have created new franchises on Wii. Sports/Play/Fit/Music. Who's to say that, in ten years, they won't be staple franchises that have been expanded upon and immeasurably tweaked?

Nintendo have done well on Wii. It's just that they have produced on two fronts, for two different markets. So fuck if 3rd parties haven't produced the goods. I've enjoyed Nintendo's OLD and NEW games as much as anything on my PS3. For that I am glad I have another motion-based console which houses AAA titles. And yes, sales and reviews would back that fact up.

C'mon, Wii is hammered by a sect of certain gamers perceptions. Look outside of the box to see how the console is actually a great little machine with diversity, future support, great traditional titles and actually a bonus for this industry.

Well it's good having it around, but I'm not going to reiterate my jargon. All I'll say is that I've experienced pretty much everything it has on offer, but I just didn't find it special in any way.

Nintendo alone isn't good enough to keep the console fresh. Those new franchises are for their new audience, not me - whilst Wii Sports was enjoyable I don't want to be playing a lot more of that. They need new IPs like those main 3.

As for reviews proving AAA titles... No. Reviewers, like sites such as IGN, are biased in the console they review for. Statistically the Wii is doing the worst across the board when it comes to review scores anyway. I can understand why Galaxy is said to be an AAA game, but I personally wasn't as convinced as the majority. It's the same with a lot of PS3/360 games, but I'd agree with more of the highly rated on these platforms.

Sensationalism is a massive problem with reviews and the big money is on the PS3/360. For example, Mass Effect 2 is a less than stellar game when you break it down (it really is, be objective) and yet it's the highest rated game this year.

The problem is that games are stuck in this horrible limbo where a lot of the time they get compared to other mediums, namely cinema. Games really haven't come into their own yet (Look at GOTY last year Uncharted 2, how often was the word "cinematic" used?), I suspect we are a long way off from that 'Citizen Kane' moment, both technically and culturally. Nintendo aren't pushing in that direction, in fact I don't believe they're interested in it at all.

Games are still miles off in many areas, like presentation and writing, but then the overall package isn't really needed in a game, as long as it's entertaining.

I'm actually surprised to find a stream that works. The one Ryan posted I think -

http://g4tv.com/gdc2010/articles/70096/GDC_2010_Sony_Press_Conference/

So far sounds pretty much identical to Iwata's speech 4 years ago.

It's officially called Move.

Edited by dwarf

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!