NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

This week I've been playing Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. I was expecting a simple platformer, but this was so much more. It does loads of things, and it does them all well (my only niggle is how much of a pain it is to use time bombs during combat). It's also surprisingly touch, which is quite refreshing.

Actually, I would say that it has a kind of "Rare" feeling to it - in particular Jet Force Gemini.

I went to the bank today to speak to someone about all of this and they told me that I didn't have to worry because my account was protected and that if someone (ie from abroad) tried to take my money, I would be protected against this. (I'm not completely convinced about this)

I asked them to cancel my credit card and they told me there was no need. They said look we are in contact with Sony and are waiting to hear back from them soon about where to go next but in the meantime there's no need to cancel your bank account or cancel your credit card.

I've changed my online passwords and will continue to check my bank account at the bank but there's not much I can do now. I got the feeling that the bank didn't want to give any panic and for customers to shut down their bank accounts or credit cards, after all it's their (I mean my) money.

Anyway later on today, I bought a newspaper with the front page saying 'Millions urged to cancel credit cards' so I'm a little confused right now.

When all of this does blow over I don't want to hear anything about how the future of computing, gaming, banking..whatever is cloud based and how that IS the future. If a high tech company like Sony can get it's customers data stolen then there is little hope for anyone else.

This week I've been playing Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. I was expecting a simple platformer, but this was so much more. It does loads of things, and it does them all well (my only niggle is how much of a pain it is to use time bombs during combat). It's also surprisingly touch, which is quite refreshing.

Actually, I would say that it has a kind of "Rare" feeling to it - in particular Jet Force Gemini.

Ratchet & Clank are brilliant. I love all the PS3 outings. Sadly never had a chance to play the ones before. An absolutely charming bunch of games. I also think they are definitely underrated. I feel like they have a touch of Pixar to them.

How dare you compare my precious Ratchet & Clank to Rare's games? :p

You should check out all of the other games in the series, too. They're all excellent, except for Deadlocked/Gladiator, which kind of sucked. :smile:

Ratchet & Clank are brilliant. I love all the PS3 outings. Sadly never had a chance to play the ones before. An absolutely charming bunch of games. I also think they are definitely underrated. I feel like they have a touch of Pixar to them.

YES! Think this is what makes them so brilliant....

Anyway I just finished Metroid Other M, so now I'm weighing up my next game to play its between AC: Brotherhood, Yakuza 3 and Dragon Age Origins...

The original was fucktastic. I was kinda disappointed by Tools of Destruction though, as the series drew on it became more and more weapon-focused, which for me was the wrong direction to take because the gadge and the platform controls/options were well built. Under-utilised being the key thing.

I would've tried CiT but it kept the crappy weapon levelling system.

Edited by dwarf
added a forward dash for the epic win

rcfacit_rynov.jpg

The RYNO V. The Greatest Gun Ever.

So awesome, it play Beethoven's Fifth while it kills.

Got the email from Sony today, although most places refer to you by name if it's a genuine email:

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at http://www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited (formerly known as PlayStation Network Europe Limited) is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited the data controller for PlayStation Network/Qriocity personal data.

Luckily, my passwords to important things such as banking and email are different from the unimportant things like PSN and forums etc. Might get a new bank card since mine runs out this year anyway. Just a case of doing it a few months earlier than planned.

OMG they did have that in the original albeit without the awesome music. However, the hype for that gun was ridiculous. It was so worth it. Last boss got his anus ruptured reaaaal nice like.

In monetary terms, 50,000 bolts is no shake. With the exchange rate how it is right now you could afford nine-hundred purple jumpsuits with that shit.

The original was fucktastic. I was kinda disappointed by Tools of Destruction though, as the series drew on it became more and more weapon-focused, which for me was the wrong direction to take because the gadge and the platform controls/options were well built. Under-utilised being the key thing.

I would've tried CiT but it kept the crappy weapon levelling system.

Although I didn't play the earlier games, I agree with this (if that makes sense).

TOD is definitely great, and basically the best 3D platformer that isn't Mario, but it definitely should have been slightly less gadge/vadge based and more platform based. They had a solid system and a great world and characters.

CLiT.lololol

My clitoris joke today was way funnier.

This is just fucking childish.

Hope this isn't true!

32356.jpg

From Shacknews.com

Rumor: Hackers selling PSN credit card list

by Steve Watts, Apr 29, 2011 7:15am PDT

Sony recently revealed that credit cards were encrypted in the PlayStation Network data breach, but didn't rule out the possibility that hackers had obtained card information. Now the New York Times reports that hackers are claiming to have a database with 2.2 million PSN users' credit card numbers, and they're offering it up for sale.

Kevin Stevens, a senior threat researcher at Trend Micro, noticed the discussions in various hacker forums, where he says they were offering to sell the list for more than $100,000. Researchers confirmed that the discussions are taking place, but there's no way to confirm if they really have the database.

Stevens also heard from one forum member that the hackers offered to sell the data back to Sony, but didn't receive a response. "To my knowledge, there is no truth to the report that Sony was offered the opportunity to purchase the list," said Sony corporate communications director Patrick Seybold, who also reiterated that the data was encrypted.

"Sony is saying the credit cards were encrypted, but we are hearing that the hackers made it into the main database, which would have given them access to everything, including credit card numbers," said iSec Partners consultant Mathew Solnik. He also points out that the hackers on forums knew details about the servers, which could indicate direct knowledge.

Finally, the NYT notes that the San Diego office of the FBI is helping Sony in the investigation of the incident, but declined to comment.

panic.gif

Edited by Cookyman

I get all my reliable news from third-hand reports based on hacking forums.

The thing that gets me is "they tried selling it to Sony". Why would they even do that - what possible use would it be to Sony as Sony still have the database?