NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

But it's all okay because the hackers never intended for any of this to happen! Cunts.

yeah its true because they defintely only revealed the root keys and all that stuff for the good of mankind as a collective whole and to bring prosperity to the good people at Sony.

Glad I just bought a beefy PC. PSN is fucked and I will never pay for XBL again.

This is the route I will take if this can't be fixed/spreads to other games.

I've never been a PC gamer, really looking forward to getting stuck into a decent MMO and the Steam sales.

Ditto, never been a proper PC gamer. Played KOTOR on my laptop back in the day but the constant upgrades...well I was on a laptop so I couldn't. Really looking forward to Steam.

I've been very clear about my views on the whole hacking business but I have to question whether recent events have anything to do with the MW2 situation. As far as I know that's been a breeding ground of scum and villainy since launch thanks to altered save files and the like.

I suspect people are using the fail0verfl0w developments as a convenient scapegoat or simply jumping to conclusions, a bit like those claims of Kinect killing 360s.

The idea that someone can retrieve credit card information by knowing your PSN ID is also pretty farcical. Impossible? No, but as far as I'm aware none of that information is even stored on the PS3, it's encrypted on Sony's servers under lock and key.

Oh dear - this is not good! :cry:

PS3 hackers make Modern Warfare 2 'unplayable,

"It's in total shambles and unplayable." That's how one Joystiq reader describes Modern Warfare 2 on PSN. With PS3 system security in disarray, hackers and cheaters have run rampant on Infinity Ward's Call of Duty games. Players unwittingly placed into a hacked server can meet the unfortunate consequence of losing all their stats and, unfortunately, it doesn't appear a fix is in sight.

"Games rely on the security of the encryption on the platforms they're played on," Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling explained on the game's official forums. "Unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform ... updates to the game through patches will not resolve this problem," he admits, adding, "at this time, we do not have the ability to restore or adjust individual stats."

Although Bowling adds that "we are looking at every option available to us to help any user affected," it appears the situation is quite dire, especially when one considers the workarounds Bowling suggests. You can submit a PSN grief report, play exclusively with friends via private matches, or play Black Ops, which does "not rely solely on platform security" -- something Infinity Ward promises to learn from in future games.

Uuuuurm....old news.

Aimless is right, though. MW was a mess before all this hacking. Id be shocked if the hacking was this widespread at the moment, too.

I've had a load of games tonight and yesterday and I didn't notice any cheating going on.

Regarding MW2 being hacked; apparently this kind of shit has being going on for ages (minus the credit card hacking) and that article Matt posted is being used as a scapegoat.

I only play MW2 casually, so I don't really notice anything serious or out-of-the-ordinary.

Cheating has been going on for ages via hacked save files.

Edited by The Lillster

Regarding MW2 being hacked; apparently this kind of shit has being going on for ages (minus the credit card hacking) and that article Matt posted is being used as a scapegoat.

I only play MW2 casually, so I don't really notice anything serious or out-of-the-ordinary.

Cheating has been going on for ages via hacked save files.

It's not really about cheating. MW2 is P2P (like most online console games these days), right? So when you start a game, everyone's game is hosted on one person's system (the person with the best internet connection/ping).

So if that person happens to have a hacked PS3, they can potentially just do whatever they want with anyone who's playing on their server. Even if you were a casual player, I think you would notice if someone took away all your levels, XP and weapons for a laugh. Even more so if they took your personal details, and it wouldn't be hard.

It's such bullshit. No matter what people try and pretend these exploits are for, they'll always be used by immoral morons. Releasing that root key was just like the last thing geohot did for the iPhone, a clamour for the internet glory. A massive ego boost and hugely irresponsible.

Portal 2 PS3, Steam cross-platform play

The PlayStation 3 version of Valve's upcoming first-person puzzler Portal 2 features cross-platform play and chat with the Steam PC and Mac versions.

It also boasts persistent cloud-based storage of game saves.

Additionally, the PS3 version unlocks the Steam Play version free of charge when gamers link their PlayStation Network and Steam accounts.

"We made a promise to gamers at E3 that Portal 2 for the PS3 would be the best console version of the product," said Valve boss Gabe Newell.

"Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases."

Portal 2 project lead Josh Weier added: "We designed the Portal 2 PS3 experience to be very straightforward for gamers.

"PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites."

Christian Donlan went hands-on with Portal 2 for Eurogamer in June last year. "Not only has the developer managed to make Euclid-busting geometrical challenges seem breezy and moreish," he wrote, "it realises that the best puzzle games are the ones that are balanced so sweetly in terms of mechanics and difficulty that, ultimately, they make their players feel smart too."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-18-portal-2-ps3-steam-cross-platform-play

With a new computer on the way (yeah, I'm not going to stop going on about it) I was torn between the PS3 and the PC version. That isn't a problem any more! This is absolutely awesome. More Steam games on PS3 please.

Was about to post this. That is just pure awesome. Absolute pure awesome.

That sounds awesome, more games should be cross platform. Which Sony talked about last generation.

Now if only more valve games got the steam play treatment with the PS3.

yeah the possibilities are endless very exciting news...

in other news got this from morrisons £10:

img00064201101182025.jpg

figured its a way to get a cheap playstation eye! Even though if I was to get Move seperately now it would still end up being the same price as the starter pad but I've got eyepet out of it too I guess....

Somewhat appropriate for the thread...

Samsung 50'' HD Ready Plasma 3D TV, £699 @Currys.

It's only 720p though, otherwise it would be a fantastic bargain.

Anyone know the cheapest full HD one you can get is?

Oh, no idea then!

Are you sure that Sammy isn't 1080p? I would be very surprised if it isn't.

Resolution (horizontal x vertical - in pixels): 1365 x 768 Pixel (HD)

Doesn't look like it.

Yeah no it's 720, the 1080 is £849... which coincidentally looks to be the cheapest 1080p 3D TV around. I think it might me on Play for a bit cheaper.