NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Dunno they just do them from time to time don't they anyhow? Wonder if we will get one of those "improved stability" firmware updates.

I wouldn't think they would release 2 firmware updates within a few days of each other. If it is a firmware update it will be the 3.0 patch I assume, since the slim ships with that version as standard.

I don't think it did a whole lot. Playback improvement I think. Whatever that is.

So LittleBigPlanet arrived yesterday. I don't even have the PS3 yet! :p

PS3 slim buttons light up in the dark.

IMG_0327.jpg

OMG!!!!:o:o:o I've defintely got to upgrade now!!!! Megaton Killer App new feature!!!

Why haven't you bought any games for it? Owning a PS3 and not having Uncharted is criminal.

Actually on top of what I allready have atm I have owned both Uncharted and LBP but sold them both because I couldn't really see myself going back to Uncharted - not even for trophies - and I had no real desire to 'make' anything with LBP. ::shrug:

Edit - er... apparently I still have Uncharted... but it's in my 'to sell' pile so if anyone wants to buy it for a tenner or something - it's the original so has the NON-crap case - then let me know. :p

Except it's not backwards compatable is it?

On the contrary, it's completely backwards compatible with all USA PS2 games and before people say "wtf USA? lol owned!" most USA PS2 games are often cheaper than PAL plus there are many titles that were unreleased in Europe that I can play if I choose to, plus I got the MGS essentials pack - USA only - for £17.99 new. :)

Edited by S.C.G

All of my PS3 games have now arrived, just need the Slim to get shipped now. :yay:

welcome to the gang!!! fantastic that the slim is already bringing in the converts.

Anyway in other news been working my way through watching the Sony Gamescom Press Conference that I missed, few new things I have missed nice to see we are getting Catch Up TV, only BBC for now, but nice to see as means we are going to have a properly formatted and set up version rather than the browser based options now...hopefully will see likes of 4OD and ITV player.

Also love the new dynamic backgrounds, yes its a small and very simple thing but it helps bring the XMB to life and make it more vibrant and interesting. In comparison to the relatively sterile and bland look we have now. I love the Little Big Planet one. Helps it stand up against the more visual pleasing and animated 360 Dashboard and the Wii Menu.

I like the XMB as it is, and I don't bother with themes. If there's a good one I might be convinced, but otherwise it can be distracting.

ShopTo has told Eurogamer that sales of PS3 Slim are forbidden here by Sony until 1st September - the date announced at gamescom.

That squashes any hope of an early purchase. In the US, however, stock is already on shelves and being sold, as Kotaku points out.

ShopTo boss Igor Cipolletta said he expects a truckload of consoles to arrive tomorrow and can ship the machines as soon as Friday, as he runs a mail-order retail outlet.

There goes any hope of me getting my Slim early. :( So its fine for the yanks to get theirs early but not us?

In other news, i've just finished Resistance on the PSP and thought it was fantastic, easily up there with God of War:CoO for me. Im still impressed by what they managed to cram into a handheld game in both GoW and Resistance. Im all set for Resistance 2 now, I wonder if anything that happened in the PSP game will have any relevance to what happens in the PS3 sequel?

Next up is Secret Agent Clank on the PSP and then I will be upto date with the Ratchet games apart from Quest for Booty which is waiting on my shelf. :D

welcome to the gang!!! fantastic that the slim is already bringing in the converts.

Anyway in other news been working my way through watching the Sony Gamescom Press Conference that I missed, few new things I have missed nice to see we are getting Catch Up TV, only BBC for now, but nice to see as means we are going to have a properly formatted and set up version rather than the browser based options now...hopefully will see likes of 4OD and ITV player.

Also love the new dynamic backgrounds, yes its a small and very simple thing but it helps bring the XMB to life and make it more vibrant and interesting. In comparison to the relatively sterile and bland look we have now. I love the Little Big Planet one. Helps it stand up against the more visual pleasing and animated 360 Dashboard and the Wii Menu.

Im really looking forward to some of these features as I can't watch TV thanks to the digi signal being blocked somewhat by the design of the flat and there being no antennae on the roofs (or at least no connections for me to connect to them). September is going to be an awesome month.

Blockbusters will be doing a deal where you can trade in you're 80GB PS3 and get a Slim for £100.

I'm tempted as I hate the gloss finish.

Yeah I'm the same we have cable downstairs but can't get digital up in my room so any additions to on demand TV services is all good in my book. Just really hope we do see other providers get unboard...it would be cool if you could link say your Sky or Virgin account to your PSN and get full access to the on demand stuff on your account. Of course this kinda thing would mean signing a massive deal and is unlikely due to PlayTV kinda being an alternative to those services.

Yeah I'm the same we have cable downstairs but can't get digital up in my room so any additions to on demand TV services is all good in my book. Just really hope we do see other providers get unboard...it would be cool if you could link say your Sky or Virgin account to your PSN and get full access to the on demand stuff on your account. Of course this kinda thing would mean signing a massive deal and is unlikely due to PlayTV kinda being an alternative to those services.

But isnt play tv just really using your ps3 as a tuner rather than the tv or a freeview box? I mean, don't you still need to hook up an aerial to it? And the end result is that you get the same channels as freeview? If that isn't the case, WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME BEFORE?!

Blockbusters will be doing a deal where you can trade in you're 80GB PS3 and get a Slim for £100.

It's not that bad :P It seems like the ultimate dust magnet though. Blockbusters would probably have some other good console bundles I imagine, they normally have the best ones in my experience.

Hmm tempted altho I only have a 40GB...

But isnt play tv just really using your ps3 as a tuner rather than the tv or a freeview box? I mean, don't you still need to hook up an aerial to it? And the end result is that you get the same channels as freeview? If that isn't the case, WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME BEFORE?!

I don't get what your getting at...isn't playtv just a freeview box that uses the PS3 as a hard drive to record on rather than as you say as a tuner.

I'm really wishing I wasn't so busy until a few days into September. I'm probably going to have a hard time finding a Slim during the first bit of September now, I imagine they'll be selling out rather fast for a few weeks at least.

Hmm tempted altho I only have a 40GB...

I don't get what your getting at...isn't playtv just a freeview box that uses the PS3 as a hard drive to record on rather than as you say as a tuner.

Basically, playtv should be a different beast to linking your PSN with the Virgin, Sky stuff, as I would imagine that you would get your channels (Sjy+virgin) through the internet as you do with BBC iPlayer and 4OD, if I read what you said correctly. Which, now that I think about it, I don't think I did. But how would you connect the PSN with your birgin and Sky accounts other than being able to view stuff via the net?

Basically, playtv should be a different beast to linking your PSN with the Virgin, Sky stuff, as I would imagine that you would get your channels (Sjy+virgin) through the internet as you do with BBC iPlayer and 4OD, if I read what you said correctly. Which, now that I think about it, I don't think I did. But how would you connect the PSN with your birgin and Sky accounts other than being able to view stuff via the net?

I guess I meant playtv is kinda their version as it offers a digital tv service of course only a freeview one. Yes they could let you view stuff online via the net on your PS3. I think it is more for the on demand stuff....virgin have a massive back catalogue of on demand stuff...I guess tho for most people they don't really need it as their ps3 will likely be plugged in to the same tv as their cable box. Basically its just me who wants it for me so I can watch stuff in my room lol.

ShopTo.net has sold out of there Slims for £230. Lame.

Shopto.net are frauds. Do not use them. They have no security on their website.

I'm really wishing I wasn't so busy until a few days into September. I'm probably going to have a hard time finding a Slim during the first bit of September now, I imagine they'll be selling out rather fast for a few weeks at least.

There should be plenty of stock. Focus on the major retailers. New deals are coming all the time.

regarding multimedia stuff, will probably update the PS3 media topic with new developments.

For those who dont know you can stream any piece of media to your PS3 and download youtube(and HD) videos direct from the ps3 browser. There is alot to dig into but feel free to ask around alot of us need reminding too.